Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 12:01:20 PM EDT
Any German WWII buffs out there? I'm looking for the complete picture of the one below. There are others from this same photo session, but can't find either. He is actually Waffen SS, posing during the Battle of the Bulge. Any help?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That is from the ambush at Poteau during the Bulge.  There is actually a film of it that was taken, and I don't recall if the pics are stills of the film, or if a still photog was there as well.  The film is better in that you see more of what's going on.  I think only a few stills have been published.  I've got a few from that in several books, and they are pretty common.  IIRC, it was a cav unit that was overrun, but the exact designation eludes me right now.  I was to say it was a unit of the 12th.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats interesting. And I thought I saw this guy in a film too. Wish I could see it.
He's holding a Browning Hi Power in the full length photo. And I saw another one where he had a cigarette in his mouth.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the same photo........... With the cigarette.
I also remember seeing the film some guys in the back ground with stg44's
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That soldier is SS, not Wehrmacht.  Just to let you know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Waffen SS................... There was actually a lot of friction between the two......... Lot's of the Waffen SS guys where recruted from occupied areas..........
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waffen SS?

probably one of the POS's that shot the US boys they captured.  Screw the Waffen SS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be interested in the full pic as well. I have seen him in another photo, but I don't think I have seen the film. Good Stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waffen SS?

probably one of the POS's that shot the US boys they captured.  Screw the Waffen SS.

A-men! I grew up in Germany and knew some former Waffen-SS, fathers of schoolmates. Bad, very bad people. Still Nazis to the core, twenty, thirty years later. They, like all Nazis, deserve the hottest parts of hell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll look in some of my stuff and see if I can find the series of pics, they've been printed in various forms and some are cropped.  If you can find the film it is much better.  It's been about 15 years since I saw it, but it should still be out there.  It was on one of the collections that gave the German POV through thier newsreels.
There are several pics of that guy along with several other squaddies, all have some type of US equipment.  One has a carbine, several are holding Lucky Strikes and Zippos, some US rations, a boot knife, and the cold/wet weather gear for armored crews.  The event was staged, and some of it was rather hammy.
I'll try to scan some fo the pics and see if I can get them up here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waffen SS?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do you make a 'bad' German into a 'good' German?
A 30.06 works very time!

Bren therapy?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be interested in any of those pics as well.

In the meantime, here's one of my great uncle (I'm told I look like him, BTW):

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waffen SS?

My grandfather got very drunk one evening and told me about the massacre of German prisoners during the Battle of the Bulge in which he participated.   War is hell.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I suggest you try the History Forum. The GD is no place to have a decent conversation on history. Yes, their are numerous photos out on the net or in print.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waffen SS................... There was actually a lot of friction between the two......... Lot's of the Waffen SS guys where recruted from occupied areas..........

I have pictures my grandfather took of what happens then the Wehrmacht questions the SS orders. Brutal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I suggest you try the History Forum. The GD is no place to have a decent conversation on history. Yes, their are numerous photos out on the net or in print.

We have a history forum?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Any German WWII buffs out there? I'm looking for the complete picture of the one below. There are others from this same photo session, but can't find either. He is actually Waffen SS, posing during the Battle of the Bulge. Any help?

www.members.cox.net/slystrat/tat.JPG

Intersting pic. I have seen it before.

BUT

I hope one of the boys in the 101 got him.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a history forum?

Try leaving the GD every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Try leaving the GD every once in awhile.

Actually, I think it's my avoidance of most things outside the HTF, survival, and now, the religion forum that's at issue.  This one just happened to pique my interest.

<pacino>
"They keep pulling me back in!"
</pacino>

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Are those photos pre-nuts or post-nuts?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]

I object tremendously to this thread. One of my great-uncle's died in the concentration camps
he fell from a watchtower
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
hahahahah that was cold.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They would be preNUTS.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Pre.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#29]
He probably isn't actually posing; most likely, he's been hoofing it all day out in the freezin' ass cold thinking his days are numbered in the single digits, and then some war correspondent wants to take his picture. You can tell by the look on his face that he's tired as all hell, and is probably thinking "hurry up and take the fucking picture, dickhead".
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waffen SS?

Tards in the house............

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
He probably isn't actually posing; most likely, he's been hoofing it all day out in the freezin' ass cold thinking his days are numbered in the single digits, and then some war correspondent wants to take his picture. You can tell by the look on his face that he's tired as all hell, and is probably thinking "hurry up and take the fucking picture, dickhead".

No, the sequence is pretty well-known and was staged with a Propoganda Kompanie to bolster morale on the home front by showing Fritz smoking some Amis and making off with their loot.  In the film series there are some giveaways that don't come across on the stills.  Some things like the same troops advancing past the same knocked-out vehicles, just on another side.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#32]
You can put the same face in any war photo from any army at any time in history.  Young men in war are all the same. He's tired, he's hungry, he's cold, he's scared, and he's killing other young men and most likely doesn't know or even care why. He just wants to find somewhere safe to sit down, eat, get warm, take a shit, and sleep.

rk
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Is that a High Power in his hand?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#34]
There is a short vid clip of the same soldier. It is kind of choppy. It has been shown on the History Channel a few times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top