Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:38:22 AM EDT
I have  been down in the Keys several times but it has been several years. I will be  travailing with my family, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, don't go to Key West with your children.  Faggot City.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Sugarloaf key is nice. They have a hotel and used to have a dolphin that lived in the lagood and did tricks. Excelent fishing and snorkeling right behind the hotel.

My family is planning on doing a keys trip soon but we will be doing John Penekamp park this time. Decent snorkeling for the kids and a relaxing environment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I guess you'll be avoiding San Francisco and Provincetown too?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a nice little place on Little Torch Key (IIRC) called Parmer's Place that we've stayed several times.  Reasonable rates (then anyway) and pretty nice digs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes I know all about KeyWest been there before.  Not a place for kids you are correct.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Too many Ricky Ricardos for me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Rent a house in the middle keys....Matecumbe for example.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out Mel Fisher's museum in Key West, it's very cool.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Should be a real flame fest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
stay out of key largo, marathon key is the best, and only east of duvall street is the queer side of town in key west. the rest is a tourist trap. it is nice seeing the sun set at the southernmost part of the us though, and the street preformers where the cruise ships dock
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Check out Mel Fisher's museum in Key West, it's very cool.

+1.

Also Truman house is interesting.

Lots of homos but I didn't have any problems. A few bums almost wore out my good intentions but no incidents.

Duff's has excellent seafood.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Lived in the Keys for 3 years...Marathon is much nicer and activity oriented than the rest. Islamorada is nice to kick back and relax with a nice little waterfront hotel or hut. Key West is trouble waiting for you to get there..you should check out their daily police reports, some of the funniest reality you ever read. Gays, Rainbow kids, crackheads, illegals, furit loops, gays, homos, poo stabbers, alcohol, drugs..just a great American island! The fishing is legendary anywhere in the Keys as is the diving/snorkeling. Just plot out your trip before you go and don't blow your money on booze.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Key West has plenty of fags, no doubt about that.

All the same, it has, by far, the most stuff to do and see of any of the Keys by a long shot.

Key West is NOT over running with fags. Sure you'll see them, but it's been grossly over hyped in this thread. Far more "normal" people just vacationing and having a good time. If you didn't go to Key West, you're truly missing one of the better parts of the Keys.

As mentioned Mel Fishers museum there is amazing. If you've never actually held a solid gold bar from a sunken gallion, that's the palce to do it.

Sloppy Joes, Boars Head Saloon....some fun places. Malory Square at sun set is a lot of fun, kids included. Some great places to eat and stay there as well.

John Pennycamp State Park is a great place to snorkle with the kids, and while island hopping your way across the bridges from one Key to the next, there are literally hundreds of places to stop in relative privacy along beautiful beaches and crystal clear water to swim, have a picnic lunch, snorkle or go fishing.

If you are in to fishing, ask someone where you can buy live bait, pull off the road on either side of one of the many bridges, and cast your lines next to the pillings around the bridges. Snook are plentiful and pound for pound one of the best fighting/eating fish you've ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#14]
For scuba diving at Key Largo, I really like Quiesence Dive Shop or "It's a Dive".  'It's a Dive' uses pontoon boats, they are fast and so you have a lot more time for lunch on land between the morning and afternoon dives.  Nice ride on a pontoon boat too.   Quiesence's boats are six-packs, they only take six divers per boat.  They are diesel monohulls.  You can scuba dive or snorkle.  Plenty of good things to see snorkleing.

The reefs at Key Largo range from excellent to dying.  Visibility ranges from spectacular to so-so.

There is a lot to see on snorkleing trips.  

There is snorkleing in John Pennecamp Park in Key Largo, never been there but the tell me it's nice.

Not much beach area in Key Largo that I have found.

Reasonable priced and nice accomodations can be had in KL.  

Diver's Supply or Divers Outlet or whatever is in Key Largo and in Homestead.  Their prices are great.  Kodak 50 foot rated disposible cameras from the grocery store work really well.

The locals in KL are very nice, really good people.  I feel really at home in Key Largo.

I have  been stalked only once in Key Largo.  That was by two black guys, so I stayed in the fast food place till they left.  My Texas concealed carry lisc is valid in Florida, so there is much less worry now days.  They tell me that muggings seldom happen in the Keys, unlike Miami.

Great kid-beaches are in Clear Water Fla., on the West Coast  They have...well...really clear water.  But the bottom is a dessert, just sand to see.  The water is shallow for a long way out.

Key West is a few hours drive from Key Largo.  Don't hit the dog sized, thousand dollar deer, no kidding and obey the speed limits too.  Key West is interesting to wander, my wife and I liked it.  The good sunsets, like in the movie, are in the winter.

When I take the wife to Key Largo there is not much for her to do there.  It's a good diving place but not tourist place.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Lived in the Keys for 3 years...Marathon is much nicer and activity oriented than the rest. Islamorada is nice to kick back and relax with a nice little waterfront hotel or hut. Key West is trouble waiting for you to get there..you should check out their daily police reports, some of the funniest reality you ever read. Gays, Rainbow kids, crackheads, illegals, furit loops, gays, homos, poo stabbers, alcohol, drugs..just a great American island!

I must disagree. I've been there many times, I'm definately not gay and not interested in things that are gay related.

Key West has MUCH more fun stuff/places to see than Islamorada or Marathon. Plenty of stuff for family and kids too.

I suppose if your hyper-homophobic and can't stand the idea of occasionally sharing a sidewalk passing a fag walking the other direction, then yeah, Key West isn't a good idea. As for this hysterical 24/7 crime/freak show? Absolute horseshit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lived in the Keys for 3 years...Marathon is much nicer and activity oriented than the rest. Islamorada is nice to kick back and relax with a nice little waterfront hotel or hut. Key West is trouble waiting for you to get there..you should check out their daily police reports, some of the funniest reality you ever read. Gays, Rainbow kids, crackheads, illegals, furit loops, gays, homos, poo stabbers, alcohol, drugs..just a great American island!

I must disagree. I've been there many times, I'm definately not gay and not interested in things that are gay related.

Key West has MUCH more fun stuff/places to see than Islamorada. Plenty of stuff for family and kids too.

I suppose if your hyper-homophobic and can't stand the idea of occasionally sharing a sidewalk passing a fag walking the other direction, then yeah, Key West isn't a good idea. As for this hysterical 24/7 crime/freak show? Absolute horseshit.

+1 on all counts

(but I'd still rather stay near Islamorada for a week and make one or two day trips to KW)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Key West has MUCH more fun stuff/places to see than Islamorada. Plenty of stuff for family and kids too.

+1 on all counts

(but I'd still rather stay near Islamorada for a week and make one or two day trips to KW)

The amount of homophobia on this board is amazing at times.   That said,  i never really liked Key West, too many people, and I'm mainly in the Keys for the fishing.  Islamorada is our favorite.

If you want a good flats guide look up Captain Kathie. Prices are good, his boat is modern and clean, and he does not mind the wife coming along for the ride.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lived in the Keys for 3 years...Marathon is much nicer and activity oriented than the rest. Islamorada is nice to kick back and relax with a nice little waterfront hotel or hut. Key West is trouble waiting for you to get there..you should check out their daily police reports, some of the funniest reality you ever read. Gays, Rainbow kids, crackheads, illegals, fruit loops, gays, homos, poo stabbers, alcohol, drugs..just a great American island!

Key West has MUCH more fun stuff/places to see than Islamorada or Marathon. Plenty of stuff for family and kids too.

I lived there..horseshit? Believe what you will..again, I lived there. I am not an original conchy but living there for 2 of the 3 years, let me see the real Key West. It is a pit of perverseness. Period. It is also dangerous in many ways. 75% of the business are owned by Gays, the Mayor is gay, half the police dept. is gay, the different "festivals" are nothing more than drunken orgies. Nothing wrong with that except it is sickening to see everyday. The Hospices are full of men dying with aids, there is funeral almost every other day. It is drunken pit of perverseness and drunkeness. They have tried to make it more "family" friendly, but it is a caldron of debauchery. Stay around Front street you do not see what the real Key West is after dark.

Key West does have it's attractions and things to see and do...but it's not a place you want to stay for more than 2 days. There are supposed to be 30,000 tourist there at any given time, the cruise ships provide much of that. And if you ever heard of the warning speeches when they dock, you'd understand it's a nuthouse. Every freak of nature makes his or her way to Key West at some point..I saw them.

To the original question..Go to the other Keys, they are much nicer and tourist friendly. Key West is a just one big drinking party every night. IM me if you have anymore questions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I suggest if you call someone's post horseshit you'd better have the same experience as he does. 1999 - 2000 I lived in Key West working with the jetski/boat rentals..made lots of money which is the only reason I lived there. I was'nt a tourist, I was resident.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Too many Ricky Ricardos for me.

More like Ricky Martins.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I took my family to Key West about 5 years ago.  We travel quite a lot and Key West was one of our favorites.  We stayed at the Marriott on the east coast side which is now a Wyndham Resort I believe.  It was quiet and beautiful.  Our top picks of things to do are:
Dry Tortugas State Park
  --it takes a whole day but is well worth it.  I've recommended this to several friends and they all loved it.
Hemingway's House
Mel Fisher's Museum
There was also a ship wreck museum that was cool--I don't remember if it was part of Mel Fisher's or not.

I'm sure I could think of more.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Also consider the trip out to the Dry Tortugas.  I think it's an overnight but Fort Jefferson is neat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Stay here: Limetree Bay Resort

It's between Islamorada and Marathon.  Your room will face directly on the water.  There are hammocks under palm trees, a pool, all the tropical paradise stuff.  We also have a friend's 3br house on a canal in Marathon that we like to rent.  Lemme know if you are interested in that.

If you have kids then only do a run down to Key West for a day trip, and I mean day.  It's not some constant gay parade - it's mostly college to middle age people getting a load on.  South Street in Philly, the Village in NYC and the city of SF are freakier.  We went to Sloppy Joe's for lunch and were treated to this show as we sat down:

My kids had never seen anyone busted before - rather informative.  

As far as other entertainment... Buy the $20 snorkeling sets that are sold all over the place down there and then take the family to Bahia Honda state park.  You can do the beach thing and also practice snorkeling.  Once everyone gets the hang of it, schedule a real trip to a reef on a party boat.  Your kids will never forget it.  If you have the money, charter a fishing trip with a local Captain.  IM me if you want to do this and need names.

Here is me and my 3yo son with his first Dolphin (Mahi Mahi):

There is plenty to do down there with your family.  It's not Disney where you're force fed entertainment, it's for folks who like to do a little research and are outdoorsy and laid back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry, Dry Tortuga is a National Park.  The most remote NP as you'll find out on the tour.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I suggest if you call someone's post horseshit you'd better have the same experience as he does. 1999 - 2000 I lived in Key West working with the jetski/boat rentals..made lots of money which is the only reason I lived there. I was'nt a tourist, I was resident.

I was BORN in Florida. I've been to the Keys hundreds of times in the last 36 years. You don't have to live there to know the place. I was there last weekend.

I read your latest post regarding Key West, and to say it's INCREDIBLY emotional and over the top would be an understatement.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#27]
JMHO:

Fly into Miami, rent a car and drive the keys all the way to Kew West. Middle keys may be better for small kids. The gay element in Key West really isn't a big issue. You will see some "couples" but aside from "Fantasy Fest" and the "Pride" week(s) they are not in your face and will hardly be noticed. The "Mel Fisher Treasure Museum" on Greene St. is great. When you finish the tour ask about current Atoche and Margarita investment opportunities. "The Pirate Soul" pirate museum on Front St. is a must see as well. For snorkling and diving I suggest a small charter like the cat. "Echo" rather than the big cattle boats, much better experience. If you want the name of a good charter Captain I can make a couple recommendations depending on what you want to do.

For bars I recommend;

Cap't Tony's Saloon (Greene St)
Schooners Bar (Schooners Wharf)
Green Parrot (Whitehead???)
Lazy Gecko (Duval St.)
Rick's (Duval St.)

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville bar (Duval St.) is very touristy but a GREAT place to meet tourist girls looking to get "naughty" in a strange land far from home.

In the AM go down to "Pepe's" on Coroline St. for the best, cheap breakfast anywhere in the world.

I grew up in Florida and got down to the keys many a time including several adventures that my wife knows nothing about.

It has all the charm and quaintness of the Caribbean but you can speak the language and drink the water!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
JMHO:

Fly into Miami, rent a car and drive the keys all the way to Kew West. Middle keys may be better for small kids. The gay element in Key West really isn't a big issue. You will see some "couples" but aside from "Fantasy Fest" and the "Pride" week(s) they are not in your face and will hardly be noticed. The "Mel Fisher Treasure Museum" on Greene St. is great. When you finish the tour ask about current Atoche and Margarita investment opportunities. "The Pirate Soul" pirate museum on Front St. is a must see as well. For snorkling and diving I suggest a small charter like the cat. "Echo" rather than the big cattle boats, much better experience. If you want the name of a good charter Captain I can make a couple recommendations depending on what you want to do.

For bars I recommend;

Cap't Tony's Saloon (Greene St)
Schooners Bar (Schooners Wharf)
Green Parrot (Whitehead???)
Lazy Gecko (Duval St.)
Rick's (Duval St.)

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville bar (Duval St.) is very touristy but a GREAT place to meet tourist girls looking to get "naughty" in a strange land far from home.

In the AM go down to "Pepe's" on Coroline St. for the best, cheap breakfast anywhere in the world.

I grew up in Florida and got down to the keys many a time including several adventures that my wife knows nothing about.

It has all the charm and quaintness of the Caribbean but you can speak the language and drink the water!

Great post.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
..you should check out their daily police reports, some of the funniest reality you ever read.

I went to the Key News web site Link and yes you are correct, they are funny. I lived there for 3 yesrs off and on in the 80's. I guess the place has changed a bit since then.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Use to go to Key west for the offshore powerboat world championships. Went the three years in a row. Haven't been their for about 12 years though. Want to visit Key west but wont stay there over night.
Dose anyone know about this place?

islamorada
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Use to go to Key west for the offshore powerboat world championships. Went the three years in a row. Haven't been their for about 12 years though. Want to visit Key west but wont stay there over night.

islamorada

I stayed there last weekend. IM me if you'd like.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sorry, Dry Tortuga is a National Park.  The most remote NP as you'll find out on the tour.

+1
Check out Ft. Jefferson while you are there. Looks interesting.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was BORN in Florida. I've been to the Keys hundreds of times in the last 36 years. You don't have to live there to know the place. I was there last weekend.

I read your latest post regarding Key West, and to say it's INCREDIBLY emotional and over the top would be an understatement.

I was BORN in Lakeland in 1961 and have lived here ths most part of my 44 years. So what? This was'nt an emotional post, this was to inform the person asking the question on what Key West was like. And after living there for 2 years, I suspect I should know something about it. It is a hell hole with a few good points. None of which is Bike week, Dike week or Fantasy Fest. Take a drive by the dick dock at around sundown to see things that turn your stomach. Again, there are a hundred better places in the Keys to go other than West. That is an opinion I am high on. You have yours. I never said there were flaming gays pounding each others ass in the streets..you did. It's not about them, they are everywhere, some are flamers and some are not. It's not enough to keep someone from going there, but the rest of the crap going on, is perverse. There are many more better places to be in the Keys than West.

Now please leave it alone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

islamorada

The Powerboat races would be the best time to go..they also have a sailboat championship that attracts the yachtsmen from around the world. These are actually the 2 safest events on West. You can see the Powerboat races, but the sailboats are like watching grass grow. If it were'nt for all the freaks and bs going on, the island would be a lot nicer. The older conchies are what bring any stability there. Great people who have been there for 30-40 years..they don't like the bs either.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was BORN in Lakeland in 1961 and have lived here ths most part of my 44 years.

And how come I don't see you more often at Tenoroc?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I liked going to Islamorada.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Cheeca Lodge was a great place to stay, top notch in my opinion

always loved Tavernier, Islamorada, Marathon
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was BORN in Lakeland in 1961 and have lived here ths most part of my 44 years.

And how come I don't see you more often at Tenoroc?  

Well I don't live there anymore, I live in Destin. Got most of my family still down in Polk county or Sumter. I remember growing up down there and shooting 22's at oranges and grapefruit in the groves. Lakeland has changed drastically over the years. My mom was from Auburndale, which is where both my grandparents moved to during the 1940's and they both died there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
If you can afford it Key Colony Beach is hard to beat. I spent a week there 2 years ago. What a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#40]
The Cheeca Lodge on Islamarada is increadible.  So is the Marriott Flagler Grand Hotel on Key West.  I did the Reef Raiders snorkeling trip while in Key West - best $ spent on the trip.  Loved the Aquarium in Key West - small but very much the flavor of Old Key West (Days of Hemmingway).

While in Islamarada area check out The Hungry Tarpon - great little diner, your wife will hate it.  

Anyone know the name of the giant fishing/outdoor shop near Bud and Mary's Dive Shop?  They actually have one of Hemmingway's boats.  They also have one of the most excellent bars on the second floor facing the Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The Cheeca Lodge on Islamarada is increadible.  So is the Marriott Flagler Grand Hotel on Key West.  I did the Reef Raiders snorkeling trip while in Key West - best $ spent on the trip.  Loved the Aquarium in Key West - small but very much the flavor of Old Key West (Days of Hemmingway).

While in Islamarada area check out The Hungry Tarpon - great little diner, your wife will hate it.  

Anyone know the name of the giant fishing/outdoor shop near Bud and Mary's Dive Shop?  They actually have one of Hemmingway's boats.  They also have one of the most excellent bars on the second floor facing the Gulf of Mexico.

that's the bass pro shops/saltwater angler thing.

it put a bunch of locals out of business including ht chittum I think.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I liked going to Islamorada.  

Can't miss Woody's w/ Big Dick & The Extenders!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's the bass pro shops/saltwater angler thing.

media.basspro.com/images/outdoorworld/headerImage21.jpg

it put a bunch of locals out of business including ht chittum I think.

Sorry to hear that, but it is increadible.  

If you don't want to eat at the Hungry Tarpon, stop there and look at the Tarpon that swim around under the dock.  Frig'n things are huge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top