User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:38:27 PM EDT
Grand jury indicts 18 as gang leaders
By Jerry Seper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
August 9, 2005
www.washtimes.com/national/20050808-093048-7644r.htm
A federal grand jury in Georgia has indicted 18 reputed leaders of a violent street gang known as Surenos 13, or SUR-13, on racketeering charges ranging from murder, attempted murder and carjacking to armed robbery and drug smuggling.
   U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents, assisted by the FBI and state and local authorities in Georgia, had arrested 16 of the gang members named in the indictment as of yesterday, which was handed up July 16 but sealed until arrests could be made. The indictment was the result of a two-year investigation into the activities of Surenos 13.
   "This indictment is an important step in combating the problems that violent street gangs such as this pose," U.S. Attorney David Nahmias in Atlanta said yesterday, noting that federal authorities used federal racketeering and drug-conspiracy statutes to target the gang's entire leadership.
   The arrests are part of a continuing effort by ICE to target violent gangs nationwide whose memberships include foreign nationals, including SUR-13, Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13), 18th Street Gang, Latin Kings, Mexican Mafia, Asian Boyz and Jamaican Posse, all of whom specialize in murder, rape, assault, drug trafficking and immigration fraud.
   Last week, ICE agents arrested 582 gang members and their associates in 27 states as part of Operation Community Shield on charges related to violent crimes, immigration violations and possession of fraudulent documents -- 261 of whom were identified as foreign nationals with criminal records.
(sometimes called ILLEGAL ALIENS)
   The Georgia indictment also named eight of the gang members on charges of conspiring to possess and distribute methamphetamine and marijuana, four others with carjacking and 12 defendants with firearms violations, including possessing, carrying, using and discharging a firearm during and in relation to violent crimes and drug trafficking.
   ICE spokesman Dean Boyd said that in addition to the indictment, the investigation included the arrest and federal prosecution of seven other SUR-13 gang members, the deportation of 40 others, and the seizure of 13 firearms and $7,000 in cash.
   Also arrested, he said, were 11 SUR-13 members and associates who were residing illegally in the United States and now face administrative deportation.
   ICE agent Kenneth Smith, who heads the agency's Atlanta field office, said the success of the investigation could be attributed to the "cooperation and commitment" of several local, state and federal law enforcement agencies in the Atlanta area.
   "By targeting the leadership of this criminal organization, we will have a significant impact on their illegal activities, resulting in safer neighborhoods and communities," he said.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
But how many did they release pending trial???  Big deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Think about it

A guy enters this Country Illegally from say El Salvador
He's involved involved in Gang Activity
The Feds charge him under the RICO statute and can virtually sentence him from 10 years to Life
So the American Taxpayer is footing the Bill to investigate, arrest, prosecute, incarcerate for maybe 25 years for an individual that should never have set foot on American soil in the first place
Especially Post Sept .11, 2001

The issue is how do we prevent these criminals from entering the Country in the first place

I got an individual in my Jail right now
Federal Inmate
MS-13 Member ( Self Admitted )
Illegal Alien
Charged with Homocide

He bragged that if deported back to Honduras he could make it back to New York in two weeks time

And we've seen this happen with other Inmates that were Deported
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Feds charge him under the RICO statute and can virtually sentence him from 10 years to Life
So the American Taxpayer is footing the Bill to investigate, arrest, prosecute, incarcerate for maybe 25 years for an individual that should never have set foot on American soil in the first place

No problem, the federal government has plenty of money to waste on feds, judges and prisons

The problem is we just can't afford to secure the border

Hold it, wouldn't it be cheaper to secure the border before we have to arrest, try and imprison them?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Think about it

The issue is how do we prevent these criminals from entering the Country in the first place

Federal Inmate
Illegal Alien
Charged with Homocide

He bragged that if deported back to Honduras he could make it back to New York in two weeks time

That is a sad situation when a low life like that is back in the country in two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Think about it

Federal Inmate
Illegal Alien
Charged with Homocide

Fix it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Think about it

Federal Inmate
Illegal Alien
Charged with Homocide

Fix it.

When the Citizens have had enough of the illegals they will demand washington does something
by then it will be too late, I think it already is too late thanks to the man I helped to elect.......
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Think about it

Federal Inmate
Illegal Alien
Charged with Homocide

Simple solution: individual is loaded aboard a C-130 for a deportation flight to El Salvador. Passenger does not arrive due to accident involving cargo ramp opening up unexpectedly during flight and dumping the passenger while over the Gulf. Don't know how those lead weights got attached to his body.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]

+1    

Be kind... feed the fish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top