Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:30:55 PM EDT
Getting into my 3rd year here and just a broke as ever. Started into the gun scene last year just before the ban died. Ive always focused more on classes than on getting a job and am always broke. Now with a girl on the side, it seems like I never have enough money for gun stuff and will get excited at just the thought of having enough cash for my next ammo purchase. Now with a smaller school schedule this year, Im looking for a job that I can actually get some money during the school year. But until then Im just this guy who envies everyone on this forum who brings up a "Look at my new toy" thread.  And the fact that everything seems to be going up in price or supplies drying up doesnt help either. It sucks being po'.

This thread has no point. The feeling was just high tonight and felt like getting it out so you can make fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Your not poor, you are just busy investing in yourself.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm leaving for college in 2 weeks...

I won't be working freshman year, so I'll probably be poor as well.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
First things first..where are you going to school? When I was in school in Florida- Gainesville had plenty of jobs and "activities" that allowed me to have a lady and guns. Either way you need to start looking around and getting some experience in the field. It is much easier to eat shit and make nearly nothing when you do not have student loans breathing down your back. Plus it may allow you the experience to seek out another path.

Let me know about the location/school thing I have quite a network of people looking for students for good jobs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the feeling.  minis the girl

I start my third year this fall.  I can't wait!!  Education has always be fun to me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
well i'm in a similar situation. i'm in college, have a girl, and a job, and i'm still broke.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Im at the University of Central Florida. Just switched into business (finance). I have to catch up on some of the prereqs this semester since I just switched and its limiting my class options. So I dont have as many classes which is why I have more time for a job.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to wait till AFTER college to start into the gun scene. Now that I've gone back to school, I've just bought ammo, and reloading components.

As an undergrad, I had no time and no money

As a working stiff, I had money, but no time

As a grad student, I have a hell of a lot more time than money

so, reloading it is......
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

+1

I have one year left for my EE degree and it is tight at times but will be well worth the reward when it is over.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Dump the chick, there's always free internet pron.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Getting into my 3rd year here and just a broke as ever. Started into the gun scene last year just before the ban died. Ive always focused more on classes than on getting a job and am always broke. Now with a girl on the side, it seems like I never have enough money for gun stuff and will get excited at just the thought of having enough cash for my next ammo purchase. Now with a smaller school schedule this year, Im looking for a job that I can actually get some money during the school year. But until then Im just this guy who envies everyone on this forum who brings up a "Look at my new toy" thread.  And the fact that everything seems to be going up in price or supplies drying up doesnt help either. It sucks being po'.

This thread has no point. The feeling was just high tonight and felt like getting it out so you can make fun.

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Sgt is right, hard work will eventually pay off.

When you're done you'll be able to get a massive collection.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
OOO!!!! OOOO!!!! RIGHT HERE!!! PICK ME!!! I'M THE POOR ONE!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Dump the chick, there's always free internet pron.  

Yeah but its more fun when the chick watches it with you

Dont get me wrong. Im having the time of my life in college. I have ambitious goals for the future and am putting as much time into school as I can. My next step is to hopefully get into the Coast Guard CSPI program. If Im able to get into that I will crap myself. It just sucks when a gun forum is my main entertainment on the internet and I cant afford any of the fun stuff right now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Here.

Plus my car just ook a crap.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
here here...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Im at the University of Central Florida. Just switched into business (finance). I have to catch up on some of the prereqs this semester since I just switched and its limiting my class options. So I dont have as many classes which is why I have more time for a job.

- So what is your exact field of study? BUSINESS does not equal FINANCE regardless of what counselors say. If you are Accounting & Finance..I can help you out. If you Business Admin. or Business Management - You should consider a change in studies or perhaps stop going to school altogether. That degree is pretty much the number one program outside of Poly-Sci for people returning BACK TO SCHOOL to get something more job field specific. Flip me an IM and I will see what is open near winter park or oral-lando.
Then I will OWN YOUR SOUL and you will be forced to build your collection at a much faster rate than anticipated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Going back to school full time in about a week and a half.  I'm already poor with a full-time job.  I imagine things will get worse.  Too bad I already hate Top Ramen and PB&J sandwiches.

You really can't live in SoCal without a degree.  Over half my monthly income currently goes to paying just my rent, and it's just a 1br POS apartment in a barrio.

Intend to buy a Remy 870 18" with a portion of my cashed in vacation time.  I've been with the company for 4 years and only taken about 5 days vacation in that time, most of them just unacrued floater holidays.

EDIT: Shit.  I was planning on working towards a Business Admin degree.    (Bush is an MBA)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Going back to school full time in about a week and a half.  I'm already poor with a full-time job.  I imagine things will get worse.  Too bad I already hate Top Ramen and PB&J sandwiches.

You really can't live in SoCal without a degree.  Over half my monthly income currently goes to paying just my rent, and it's just a 1br POS apartment in a barrio.

Intend to buy a Remy 870 18" with a portion of my cashed in vacation time.  I've been with the company for 4 years and only taken about 5 days vacation in that time, most of them just unacrued floater holidays.

EDIT: Shit.  I was planning on working towards a Business Admin degree.    (Bush is an MBA)

- Here is what makes YOU different than Bush..

YOU do not belong to Skull & Bones
YOUR dad is not a former President
YOU do not live in a nice house on campus completely paid for by your folks

This is just a few of the items I can quickly point out. Good luck with your schooling.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Starting my Sophmore year in about a week and a half.  I worked full time for two years so I am behind a couple of years.  Oh well hopefully it will help me get a decent job.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought my first EBR and am now in danger of having to pawn it just to afford the cost of living.

I need new tires, a state inspection, a new car horn so I can pass state inspection (it broke this morning just before my inspection, surprise surprise), gas (VERY expensive), and books for my classes this semester.

Oh yeah, and why is it that every time I'm about to ask a girl out it suddenly turns out that she's had a boyfriend for the last year or so?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- So what is your exact field of study? BUSINESS does not equal FINANCE regardless of what counselors say. If you are Accounting & Finance..I can help you out. If you Business Admin. or Business Management - You should consider a change in studies or perhaps stop going to school altogether. That degree is pretty much the number one program outside of Poly-Sci for people returning BACK TO SCHOOL to get something more job field specific. Flip me an IM and I will see what is open near winter park or oral-lando.
Then I will OWN YOUR SOUL and you will be forced to build your collection at a much faster rate than anticipated.

Sorry for the confusion. They call it finance. There is a seperate major of accounting. Im actually not quite certain on the differences as the way it was described to me they both sound pretty similar. I can still switch between them once I have more experience with them.

As for the recommondation, I appreciate it but I doubt anybody would take me in. I dont have any experience in it as I have just switched to it. The most Ive done were the economics courses, which is what got me interested and wanted to do more. If anyplace would take the time to train me with some real world work, Id be in your debt. You could have my soul, but only on the weekends. And I really dont see how the collection building would be a bad thing either
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I forgot your going to UCF - are they even acredited? j/k

I remember visiting UCF once...I was on my way back from ROLEX24 and needed to take a leak. Man, that was a sad sad little place...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Im in the same boat. Business major at UCF, broke, AR15 as a source of entertainment. Ive got a kit build AK and a handgun though. Cheap so i could afford them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I forgot your going to UCF - are they even acredited? j/k

I remember visiting UCF once...I was on my way back from ROLEX24 and needed to take a leak. Man, that was a sad sad little place...

Dont be hatin. Weve grown a lot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#25]
 Poor college chick.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
 Poor college chick.

Crap! Cant forget about the chicks.

Title changed for you and any other gun totin college students of the female persuasion here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, life is rough, isn't it? You're paying dues. You'll read this same thread 5 years from now, written by someone else, and chuckle. Ha ha ha.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Poor college chick.

Crap! Cant forget about the chicks.

Title changed for you and any other gun totin college students of the female persuasion here.

Sexist jerkoff.  I'm calling Gloria Steinem.

I kid, I kid!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Yup. Going into my junior year, just dropped money on a new bass and a bunch of other stuff that I need/don't need. Plus I've got $300 set aside for recording once school gets in swing. Hopefully we'll get some more better paying gigs this semester and the stuff I bought will pay for itself.

But yeah, gas money, book money, beer money... it's a rough life being a poor college student going to a $30k+ private university.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

My wife accuses me of doing that to myself every night.  

Oh, wait, thats molesting myself...

When I was a poor college student, I conserved by getting into .22 lr 100yd shooting.

10/22 and a brick of ammo is a poor any man's good time at the range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Im in my 3rd year too.  I had my dream AR built off credit cards but had to sell it when the bills came.  I settled on a XD40 service model for home defense and will be aquiring a 870 for christmas(originally mine but sold it before I went to college to my dad for $100)  DONT USE CREDIT CARDS  haha sounds like a good deal at the time but getting it paid off before the 0% interest rate is over i a bitch
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#33]
You sound exactly like my fiance when he was at FSU.  

He would spend every last cent of his scholarship refund on a new gun for each semester, plus ammo and mods.

About a month into each semester, he was pretty much flat broke.

That was pointless, too.  We're both still pretty broke, though, even though he now has a degree, and I'm working my way slowly but surely through college.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the same boat. In my mind, the whole point of college is to allow for a larger disposable income to be spent on guns. Screw the wife, she can shop at goodwill and microwave fishsticks for dinner, I need a MP5.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#35]

poor student here!

I have a job, and a girl and school,

and no monies.

eta: here, not hear
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Three words: Computer lab job.
I was paid $8.50 an hour (I started at $7.5/hr, got "promoted" after 3mo on the job since I knew Windows and could swap dead hard drives), 15 hours a week, to sit in an engineering computer lab and do my homework or study until a problem came up.  I'd have the problem fixed in 30min and I'd be back to what I was doing.  It only sucked once or twice when my boss came in after dinner to do some major upgrade when I'd been planning to study that evening for a test/quiz the next day.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#37]
You get out of it what you put in it.  Lots of guys I know around here have no money and are in school.  Many of them say, "well I just don't want to work."  

I went to Engineering school, went thru ROTC for 4 years, and worked  continuosly for myself while in college (and didn't even have a computer to do ebay).  I bought more guns while in school than I have since then.  Course the army paid my tuition (which wasn't a lot at the time but it helped).

Essayons

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm not now, but I was once.

When I left OkState, I swore I'd never touch Ramen Noodles or Hamburger Helper again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Going into my third year as well, hardly any jobs, and the bumfuck town my school is in makes getting a real job damn near impossible.. add to that my lack of a car. At least I'm single

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh, that reminds me, Ramen and Easy Mac are by far the best things ever. I never imagined the things I'd be able to concoct with a hot pot... Maybe we need a poor college kid recipe thread with school starting back up soon...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm heading into my last year of poor college life!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#42]
up
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#43]
You're in college, you're supposed to be poor.  Once you have a job and can support yourself, then you can buy big ticket items like guns.

Unless you're being supported solely by mommy and daddy, in which case you're lucky, and you damn well better appreciate it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#44]
I am a poor college student.

Well, I earn monies, but this damn site sucks it all away despite me working 12 hours a day, 4-5 days a week in the summer . . .
(Taxes, gas, a new computer, and a lot of expensive car repairs did more to my fundages than my shooting this summer tho)

I will be finishing up my Recce soon.  Still need optic and bipod.  I have a National Match Service Rifle that was AR #1, and I am looking at getting a pistol.  

No time for a gal, no energy for one either.  And I realized that most college chicks carry AND READILY USE tazers, mace, or beer bottles the hard way.  Most of the time because I was standing there.  And/or they thought I was someone else.  

Changed majors last year, so I am back to a sophmore standing.  And thus wasted about $30k.  And thus will not be able to afford a casket when I die at age 120. . .  .

And you guys can afford Ramen and Hamburger Helper?
Wow.  I only eat that well on Holidays. . .

I suppose I'll have to post a College Dinner Pics here soon, as I go back next week. . . .

+1 on the Poor College Kid recipe thread.  I have a good one for Dorm Courtyard Squirrel Stew.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#45]
When I was pretty broke in grad school I sold off a couple guns I couldn't afford to shoot, and built up a 10/22T with a sweet scope.  Since I had money left over I bought a PILE of ammo.  I focused on shooting the 22 (I had some others) and my old .357 revolver a LOT.  My shooting improved quite a bit too.

It is amazing how much ammo you can get for $20 when it isn't going into a .45

shooter
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Haha. We definitely need a College Dinner Pic threads. Nice cup of Ramen next to a slingshot or some busted up milsurplus rifle.

Now if only I had a camera.

ETA: Also since it seems all the college students are coming to this thread, if anyone near central Flordia wants to get together and scrounge up whatever ammo they have and get out shooting, IM me. Ive only met one person from the forum but he wasnt a student.

So far it looks like 1BMF is the only one around but anyone would be welcome.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#47]
You're doing good if you can buy ammo.  I ate a steady diet of hamburger (often no bun), Ramen, and pancakes for 1 1/2 years so I could save enough money to move and pay rent for a few months once I set up shop in KC.  There were days were my meal was a coke.  Food supplies and rent was about all I could afford.  Clothes and other luxuries came from family .

I screwed up my first two years though and got myself in debt.  It was a long hard climb back out of that.  You'll appreciate your post-college lifestyle more though when you look back at where you came from.

ETA: I still can't eat a fuck'n pancake to this day!  The smell makes me sick to my stomache.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I was at the university for almost two years when I got married.  Then I switched to working full time and school part time.  I put my wife through school, then put myself through.  After about 7 years, I finally got my degree.

I'm very familiar with being poor.  I still am.  Paying for a house, wife, and three children will make you poor.  Especially poor when you're still finishing things around the house like a back patio, the basement, the lawn, etc.

I went two months without having any money to even buy ammo recently.  Hang in there.  It's got to get better someday.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone ever get addictec to Ramen? It's my private shame... I went through so much of the beef ramen second semester I can't touch the shit when I'm home though lol.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm about to start my second year. I'm kinda broke, but I'm working on getting licensed as a fitness trainer now and already starting to train folks. Hopefully within a few months I'll have a decent enough income (training one to two people a day) that I'll be able to take up a free internship program with a GOOD financial services company (eg. JP Morgan, Goldman). Thank god for my family! (my basic expenses are covered for now, training folks will hopefully earn me enough money to cover ALL my own expenses [considering I live with my mom, any my tuition is heavily subsidised by the state]).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top