Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:34:55 AM EDT
As I said about two weeks ago I went through MEPS doing my ASVAB and physical signing my paperwork, and being sworn in for the Army Reserves and I will be shipping out next week Tuesday.

The problem is this, after careful reconsideration I feel the Marine Reserves would better suite me (re: more comrodery/pride that the other services don't offer from what I've been told.  More of a challenge too.).   I would like to know from any of you guys here if there is a way to switch services before I ship to boot or is it too late  I called the Marine Recruiter about two hours ago and he asked me why I wanted to switch and I told him what I mentioned earlier in this post along with the fact that if I'm asked what service I'm in I can proudly say I'm a Marine.  He said he would ask his Staff Sgt. and get back to me.

Also another thing that helped me change my mind was a three part series that can on either the Military channel or the History channel yesterday about 7 recruits and their time spent on Paris (Only on way in, one way out) Island.  After seeing their transformation from just kid's to proud responsible young men and women thats what did it for me.

So what do you current and ex-military guys think, has a switch such as this been done before?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Go here and read it, follow instructions and give to your recruiter's commander. Then enlist in the Corps.

I had to use it to get out of my contract, I discovered I had a medical condition that barred me from selecting the job cluster I wanted, they insisted that the Infantry or Tank Crew was the best way to go. I said fuck that, I'm not giving 4 years to do something I don't want to do. I drafted a nice letter following those directions, researched the DOD directives etc to make sure I was in compliance, and dropped it in the hand of my recruiter's commander.

I got a call from the recruiter a day later threatening to have me dishonorably discharged blah blah blah, and I let him know that per DOD directives, that those threats will have him court martialed if I dropped the dime. He shut the fuck up and never called back.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTMBC

(In Before the Marine Bashing Crowd)

There are two tyoe of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.

Good on you! Keep us updated, your choice is correct.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If there is a will there is a way. Do not let the Army guys threaten you or lie about what you "have" to do. Recruiters are under enourmous pressure for quota's.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go here and read it, follow instructions and give to your recruiter's commander. Then enlist in the Corps.

Ah but I wasn't in DEP, I just went signed up and my dumbass asked to leave asap.  Will that make a difference or is it a universal policy?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah but I wasn't in DEP, I just went signed up and my dumbass asked to leave asap.  Will that make a difference or is it a universal policy?

It's a universal, you are in the DEP (iirc) until you ship out, you have every second until you step foot on the transportation to the airport or whatever to give someone that notice, once you get on the bus, your chances are gone. Go research it on the DOD website as well.

ETA: DEP or not, you can still use that loophole.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IBTMBC

There are two tyoe of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.

Yep.  Good choice.  Dont for get what ARMY stands for to - Aint Ready to be Marines Yet
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If there is a will there is a way. Do not let the Army guys threaten you or lie about what you "have" to do. Recruiters are under enourmous pressure for quota's.

and they WILL try yo pressure you...keep on the marine recruiter, too. don't wait for them to call you back. you're on a deadline, he's not.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah I just read that technically they can't threaten me, so that's good to know.  I just want to have all my ducks in a row when the Marine recruiter contacts me so I can just walk into the Army office and say "this just isn't for me, and I wish to switch."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
When and IF you get to the MCRD, you prolly won't wanna be there either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and they WILL try yo pressure you...keep on the marine recruiter, too. don't wait for them to call you back. you're on a deadline, he's not.

RGR!  I asked him to give me a call sometime after 11am today, so if he hasn't called by 11:30 I'll give him a ring!  

Yeah my deadline is fast approaching.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Why?  When I origionally thought about what service to enter both the Army and Marines were on my list.  The problem was that a couple of my friends and co-workers who are and were Marines didn't start telling me about how much better the Corp is until I had already signed up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I remember crapping my pants when I saw some lance coolie at the airport in San Diego picking us up to take us to MCRD...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

www.nosirrah.net/OCS/Images/DrillInst.jpg

He's the good guy, he is the Senior
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

www.nosirrah.net/OCS/Images/DrillInst.jpg

I know it's going to be the most physically and most likely the most mentally intense thing I do in my life.  It's not like I'm just thinking about how nice it will be to be a Marine without first EARNING the right to call my self a Marine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#16]
hahahaha chill shower shoe, they're just yanking your chain.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
hahahaha chill shower shoe, they're just yanking your chain.

Aye sir!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Your inability to thoroughly research all your options and make a “correct” first decision on what will define a major part of your life speaks volumes about your character.

Just remember this if you find out the USMC isn't your cup of tea. If you piss the bed enough times they will eventually let you go home, you just have to be persisent.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Your inability to thoroughly research all your options and make a “correct” first decision on what will define a major part of your life speaks volumes about your character.

Come on.  He's just getting started.  Many learn the hard way.  The lucky ones don't have too.

EDIT: Look at this way, if you stay in the Army you can be a Ranger!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  When I origionally thought about what service to enter both the Army and Marines were on my list.  The problem was that a couple of my friends and co-workers who are and were Marines didn't start telling me about how much better the Corp is until I had already signed up.

Dude, I could sit here all damn day and tell you why I think its better in the Army.  But when it comes down to it, that doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

You're going about this all wrong.

Honestly, I think you should get out of DEP and re-evalute this whole thing.  Pick your branch based on what you want to do, not based on what other people say is better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#21]
There have been 4 people walk into the recruiting station this last week alone during our DEP functions with the sob story," I made a mistake! I joined the Airforce, now I want in the Army." Or" I joined the Navy and did'nt report to MEPS to ship because I decided I did'nt want to be on a boat for a long time, how do I join the Army?" Or my favorite " I'm decided that the Army isn't tough enough, I want to be a Marine!"  YES, he actually said those words! The senior station NCO , a former tabbed and scrolled Ranger, laughed right in his face.

All 4 were complete dirtbags.

The recruiting stations, both Army and USMC, here will not even deal with people "trading" branches. Those they have dealt with in the past have all been chaptered out of service.

Wanting to change MOS, sure that happens. But wanting to change services?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
M60 Gunner: The CORRECT response to an order is AYE, AYE, SIR!!! CM, CWO3, USMC (ret),
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There have been 4 people walk into the recruiting station this last week alone with the sob story," I made a mistake! I joined the Airforce, now I want in the Army." Or" I joined the Navy and did'nt report to MEPS to ship because I decided I did'nt want to be on a boat for a long time, how do I join the Army?" Or my favorite " I'm decided that the Army isn't tough enough, I want to be a Marine!"

All 4 were complete dirtbags.

The recruiting stations, both Army and USMC, here will not even deal with people "trading" branches. Those they have dealt with in the past have all been chaptered out of service.

Wanting to change MOS, sure that happens. But wanting to change services?

I have met many Marines that were former AD Navy, USAF and Army. Even in bootcamp we had a few guys that came over from other pool's of the other branches.

I have only met 1 person when I was in (90-late98) who was a US Marine ( 8th Comm Bn) and got out to do the same job in the Navy, but with ships and not hummers and man pack'd ruck's. We lost so many people in Boot Camp...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I could sit here all damn day and tell you why I think its better in the Army.  But when it comes down to it, that doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

You're going about this all wrong.

Honestly, I think you should get out of DEP and re-evalute this whole thing.  Pick your branch based on what you want to do, not based on what other people say is better.

Well since I wanted to be a helo mechanic but it wasn't availible I was more then happy to be a light vehicle mech (which I would be if I were to stay in the Army).  Seeing as how the Corps surely has light vehicle mech's as well there isn't an  issue of figuring out what MOS I want, just what branch I want.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
M60 Gunner: The CORRECT response to an order is AYE, AYE, SIR!!! CM, CWO3, USMC (ret),

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Just remember this if you find out the USMC isn't your cup of tea. If you piss the bed enough times they will eventually let you go home, you just have to be persisent.

Get real.  People have changes of heart all the time and it doesn't mean jack about their character.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

You must be a recruiter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Aviation Mech aint impossible...I went from a 3 year grunt, lat moved and turned wrenches on KC130's then became an Engineer center seat.

Do what ever you want.

Good luck.

Semper Gumby.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#29]
M60----
No Marine bashing from this ARMY chick...research your options and do what you want to do. The beauty of the US Armed Forces is that it's still a volunteer enlistment.

That said, once you've gotten the MOS and service you desire, don't be a slacker. There is comeraderie in ALL branches...but only if you've EARNED it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well since I wanted to be a helo mechanic but it wasn't availible I was more then happy to be a light vehicle mech (which I would be if I were to stay in the Army).  Seeing as how the Corps surely has light vehicle mech's as well there isn't an  issue of figuring out what MOS I want, just what branch I want.

You're letting those MEPS fuckers lie to you.  I promise you if you tell them you want to be a helo mechanic and will wait as long as it takes, there will suddenly be an opening for a helo mechanic.  This is your life for the next 3 or 4 years... don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want.

You are making a mistake picking a branch based on your friends opinions or what you saw on TV.  You need to do objective research and figure it out for yourself.

Like I said, I could sit here and tell you all about how I think the Army is best... but none of it should mean shit to you because its just my opinion.  You need to figure it out for yourself.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Marines or Army ?.

How about an Arfcom BOTH !.

Join the Army and then ask for time off for Marine Corps Reserves. Hey, they make the civilian employers do it !.

But seriously, good luck in whatever you decide. I'm glad our country produces patriots that enlist. It's one thing to join the service when it's peacetime, but  joining during a war is another. You have my respect.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#32]
M60gunner,
Why Army reserves and not National Guard. Last I heard the Guard was giving a pretty substantial enlistment bonus, something like $15,000 or so and a chance to serve and protect your neighbors . Plus the Guard/ Army gives better re-enlistment bonus's, better chance for advancement, and more high-tech equipment.  No matter what you do though you'll be working with a good bunch of people be they soldiers, marines, sailors,or airmen and you will be proud . Try for the helicopter maintenance thing though, My primary MOS is 13b , cannon-crewmember, but am leaving Oct. for Ft.Eustis to retrain as a 15Tango and have been with an Aviation unit since January and so far it has been a blast. Besides fixing them you get to go on flights and may someday work you way into a flight crew position, meaning more flying.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually, I would get out completely, and wait for the Appropriations bill that guarantees you 40k...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get real.  People have changes of heart all the time and it doesn't mean jack about their character.

It sure as hell does when you have signed the papers accepting an obligation and sworn in to a service!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#35]
He's not trying to get out of his obligation, just get over to the right team.  I think the fact that he is trying, against the odds, to make that change speaks to something too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're letting those MEPS fuckers lie to you.  
Well keep in mind I'm going in as a reservist.  What they did was put my zip into the job computers and it generated a list of availible MOS's at the instalations within that 50 mile area and Ft Eustes is about 130 miles from my zip so no Helo mech for me.

I promise you if you tell them you want to be a helo mechanic and will wait as long as it takes, there will suddenly be an opening for a helo mechanic.
Yeah, once again I would have easily gotten the heli mech position had I applied full-time, but because of the radius limitations for reservists I couldn't get it.  IF (highly unlikely) I were to stay with the Army a change of MOS reguardless of the distance would probably be easier correct?

This is your life for the next 3 or 4 years... don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want.
Actually it's 6+2, but point taken.

You are making a mistake picking a branch based on your friends opinions or what you saw on TV.  You need to do objective research and figure it out for yourself.
Noted

Like I said, I could sit here and tell you all about how I think the Army is best... but none of it should mean shit to you because its just my opinion.  You need to figure it out for yourself.
Agreed.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
M60gunner,
Why Army reserves and not National Guard. Last I heard the Guard was giving a pretty substantial enlistment bonus, something like $15,000 or so and a chance to serve and protect your neighbors . Plus the Guard/ Army gives better re-enlistment bonus's, better chance for advancement, and more high-tech equipment.  No matter what you do though you'll be working with a good bunch of people be they soldiers, marines, sailors,or airmen and you will be proud . Try for the helicopter maintenance thing though, My primary MOS is 13b , cannon-crewmember, but am leaving Oct. for Ft.Eustis to retrain as a 15Tango and have been with an Aviation unit since January and so far it has been a blast. Besides fixing them you get to go on flights and may someday work you way into a flight crew position, meaning more flying.

Are you full or part-time  

How hard was it to change MOS

What exactly will you be doing with choppers, airframe, powerplant, or avionics
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#38]
have you talk to a marine recruiter?
he will know how to get you out of it and get you into the marines.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Just tell'm your uncle is a "Full Bird" Colonel, and they'll take good care of you.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
have you talk to a marine recruiter?
he will know how to get you out of it and get you into the marines.

I called him earlier this morning and he said he'd check it ou for me, I will call him in just a minuet to get an update.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He's not trying to get out of his obligation, just get over to the right team.  I think the fact that he is trying, against the odds, to make that change speaks to something too.

Right team?

Well color me camouflage...thought we were ALL on the right team!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just tell'm your uncle is a "Full Bird" Colonel, and they'll take good care of you.  

Yeah but thats a lie.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but thats a lie.

and once they learn it is? Ha! You'll be begging for your mommy....don't LIE....unless it's part of your MOS training...ya know...intel...recruiters...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
IBTMBC

Right
As the head of the Marines once said "We will take ANYONE the Air Force throws out."
(Yes that's true!)
I respect Marines as any other branch but get tired of the BS like above.
Trouble is, they believe it and think the rest of us care.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTMBC

Right
As the head of the Marines once said "We will take ANYONE the Air Force throws out."
(Yes that's true!)

Now now, no need to turn this into a pissing match.  I just wanted to get info about a switch is all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTMBC

Right
(Yes that's true!)

Bravo...don't take Ziti's bait.
So is not worth your time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#47]
M60,
I'm a part-timer right now but wouldn't mind being AGR or fed-tech, only problem being though is  experience, the unit requires two years experience as 15tango  before they'll hire you as a tech. So who knows what the future may hold. Getting the MOS swtiched was easy  enough, I moved from Rhode Island and the closest Field Artillery unit was approx. 100 miles from me, the Sgt. in charge of inter-state transfers asked me what I wanted to do and I said anything but infantry, he came up with a number of options Aviation being the best of them all. He then had me speak with an NCO from the unit I was potentially going to so I knew what I was getting into, before I agreed to it. Like what I heard and I signed up wasn't difficult at all. As for my try to go the Air Guard I'd rather not go there> As for what I do it's a little bit of everything. From basically washing them and PCMS to changing out major components. Avionics, Airframe, and powerplant are all seperate MOS's. If you want to someday be crewchief though 15tango is the MOS for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Heres a pic of my part-time workplace.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
M60,
I'm a part-timer right now but wouldn't mind being AGR or fed-tech, only problem being though is  experience, the unit requires two years experience as 15tango  before they'll hire you as a tech. So who knows what the future may hold. Getting the MOS swtiched was easy  enough, I moved from Rhode Island and the closest Field Artillery unit was approx. 100 miles from me, the Sgt. in charge of inter-state transfers asked me what I wanted to do and I said anything but infantry, he came up with a number of options Aviation being the best of them all. He then had me speak with an NCO from the unit I was potentially going to so I knew what I was getting into, before I agreed to it. Like what I heard and I signed up wasn't difficult at all. As for my try to go the Air Guard I'd rather not go there> As for what I do it's a little bit of everything. From basically washing them and PCMS to changing out major components. Avionics, Airframe, and powerplant are all seperate MOS's. If you want to someday be crewchief though 15tango is the MOS for you.

So is Ft Eustes more then 50 miles from your zipcode?  Im trying to figure out if that meps job guys was just fucking with me or if he truly couldn't look for any other MOS's outside of the 50 mile maximum range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/TomF_13Bravo/blackhawk12.jpg

Heres a pic of my part-time workplace.

Damnit!!!   You luck guy you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top