Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2005 1:15:31 PM EDT
Since I started shaving about 9 years ago, I used the electric mom and dad got for me, it used to do a helluva job, then about 3 months ago, it stopped doin a good job, did a full service and a blade replacement, no dice.  The razor left my face VERY irritated.  Felt like I used a belt sander on it then hit it with alcohol.  Tried some aftershave balm but it still didnt help.  The acne meds in it kept most of the zits I was getting from showin up, but my face was just on fire.

Well today, I cracked open the Mach 3 I bought before graduation in may and gave it a whirl

Infinitely smoother than my electric and my face feels great, I didnt do such a hot job in some places but I suppose that is all a part of the learning curve.  Overall, a very nice shave, I hope my SO thinks the same.

Question, how often should I switch blades, and how can u tell if they need to be swapped?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, you can tell when it stops cutting so well or when it starts to pull hairs a little.

I usually get about 10 shaves per Mach 3 blade then its kaput.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually takes around 2 weeks before it NEEDS to be replaced.

They make a killing off the cost of replacement blades.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I switched to the generic disposables. Twin blade, lube strip and pivot head works just fine. 12 for less than $5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been replacing the blade on my Mach III every 3-4 weeks.  I usually shave daily, head and face.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to mention that by time youve used the replacement blade pack up they discontinue your razor forcing you to buy the new Mach6 turbomatic or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
good choice and welcome to man hood, just be careful when shorning your scrotum....the mach 3 can leave some nasty marks........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My mach3 blades last 5 shaves.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I get about a week and a half out of my Mach 3 turbo setup.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been meaning to post this.

I have a Mach 3 and I took the blade off today that I have been using everyday for over a month, maybe 2.

The green strip is white.

It just started pulling on the hairs today.
They usually last less than 2 weeks for me as well.

Has anyone ever got one that just lasted and lasted?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
the old blades lasted longer than the new "frictionless" ones now.  I had a buddy who worked for Gillett in Boston.  He brought me boxes of blades.  I change them after 2-3 shaves.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
how much are replacement packs, and how many blades per?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to mention that by time youve used the replacement blade pack up they discontinue your razor forcing you to buy the new Mach6 turbomatic or whatever.

Never happened with Gilette.  They still make cartridges for razors they introduced 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking about learning to use a straight razor....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

$8 for 4 cartridges for the Mach III.  The Mach III Turbo carts are $9 for 4.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$8 for 4 cartridges for the Mach III.  The Mach III Turbo carts are $9 for 4.

when I do the math, its about the same for new heads for my electric as it is for the replacements for the Mach 3 turbo.  The conventional razor is a tad cheaper

ETA

its about 36-40 for the heads for my electric

figure 2 weeks per set on the turbo, thats 8 weeks per refill pack, or 2 months
3 of thoes per 6 months, around 27 bucks
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I shave ever other day(Should be shaving every day) and mine last about 2 months.

I go with the grain when I shave and clean it good after every stroke.

If you shave against the grain and just get it wet between strokes your not going to get the life out of it that you paid for.

Been using the Mach3 since it came out and if you can make your blades last it pretty cost effective setup that gives me the best shave I can get.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never happened with Gilette.  They still make cartridges for razors they introduced 15 years ago.

+1  I'm using the same Atra blades with the lube strip for what, maybe 20 years now?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
The great thing about using a Mach 3 is that there is no way to better duplicate the experience of actually flying a jet fighter at Mach 3 speed – just look at the commercials.

I use my Mach 3 blades about 15 times before I change them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Schulze dumped the electric years ago. Shaving with a rasor is a zen-like experience and is necessary to start the day off right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

that depends on what kind of hair you have. I have thick red hair, my razors last 3 shaves, and on the 3rd it pulls like a sob
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#21]
its cheaper to buy disposable razors.  instead of replacing the blade every week
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Try a braun electric

not as close of a shave but less irritating
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Try a braun electric

not as close of a shave but less irritating

I may when I get a job and my norelco dies

but I am pretty impressed with the Mach3 turbo
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Electric razors SUCK.  

Mach 3 is the only razor for me.  

NOTHING else shaves as close or without irritation.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I'm using the same Atra blades with the lube strip for what, maybe 20 years now?

IIRC, that razor was introduced in the early to mid 80s.

I still use a 15 year old Sensor that was given to me by my grandfather.  Only reason I switched to the Mach III was because it did just a bit better job on my head.

ETA:  Gillette 100 Years of Shaving

Atra Plus introduced in 1985.  20 years old.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Mach 3?! That's not a real razor, this is a real razor:

I challenge you to get a closer shave than me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#27]
may not be closer, but I wont pass out due to the lack of blood
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well today, I cracked open the Mach 3 I bought before graduation in may and gave it a whirl

IBT Skin Eruptions

I tried using a razor again earlier this year. My face broke
out terribly within a day. I have good skin that rarely gets
pimples, so needless to say, I was a bit freaked out. I had
used some Nivia crap and a brand new razor. I'll stick with
my Braun Synchro and my five o'clock shadow.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I swore by electric most of my life, but eventually they all stopped giving a good shave after a while. SO started with the twin blades and then Mach 3. Smooth, but too close, ingrown hairs and
irritation.

Now its after shower single blade and pure clear aloe gel instead of cream. Face and skin have never been softer and acne and irritation free.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I tried using a razor again earlier this year. My face broke
out terribly within a day. I have good skin that rarely gets
pimples, so needless to say, I was a bit freaked out. I had
used some Nivia crap and a brand new razor. I'll stick with
my Braun Synchro and my five o'clock shadow.

what did you use for aftershave?  A lot of non hypoalergenic ones contain perfumes that cause it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
i shave in the shower using whatever random hair conditioner is there as a shave lotion. faster, cleaner and nothing to clean up afterward. been doing it that way for years. ive also found that for thick or longer hair, the atra blades work better than any of the new gizmos. the blades are further apart and are less prone to clogging. with the sensor and turbo, i spend entirely too much time cleaning the razor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
In true ARFCOM fashion.......I do both!

Use the Norelco when on the go, traveling, soaking in the tub, or just in a hurry.

When taking a shower, I shave in the shower using plain old bar soap and a disposable.  If my disposable is toast and no resupply is available, I'll use the SO's.  Note: WARN your SO if you do this with her disposable, as the next time she goes to shave her legs it may be pretty dull!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Since I started shaving about 9 years ago, I used the electric mom and dad got for me, it used to do a helluva job, then about 3 months ago, it stopped doin a good job, did a full service and a blade replacement, no dice.  The razor left my face VERY irritated.  Felt like I used a belt sander on it then hit it with alcohol.  Tried some aftershave balm but it still didnt help.  The acne meds in it kept most of the zits I was getting from showin up, but my face was just on fire.

Infinitely smoother than my electric and my face feels great, I didnt do such a hot job in some places but I suppose that is all a part of the learning curve.  Overall, a very nice shave, I hope my SO thinks the same.

Question, how often should I switch blades, and how can u tell if they need to be swapped?

Good for you for changing to a handheld, though I do have to point out that it is not a REAL razor, for that you need a good old fashioned straight razor, and none of this replaceable blade crap, but a good strop as well, make a man out of you so long as you don't sneeze

you may find you don't get as many shaves as other people, I get 5 with a mach 3 before it starts to slice me up, but my facial hair is courser than anything, I can almost light a match off of it (sometimes get it to spark, not quite catch yet ), I have a blond friend who gets over 15 to a blade (Bastard)

That is why I went back to a straight razor, because i am a cheap bastard, and I like working to keep a good shave

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I use a Mach 3 for my legs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Competitive biker?  Woman?  Both?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a woman.

My legs are all smoothy smooth because of that razor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Right now it's a cartrige type, until I get all the AK kits I want, then I'll get an electric.

Pretty sad, huh?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check the sig line...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I stopped using that friggin mach 3 when I discovered the cartridges are 12 bucks for 4, I use my straight edge only now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Braun - been using for close to 30 yrs. They just get better and better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Gillete Mach 3 Turbo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Razor Guard will help your blades last longer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Uh, no, all Mach 3 blades (original, Turbo, whatever) interchange.  I use old basic Mach 3 blades on a newer handle.

You can even get blades for the older Gillette razors.  I quit using my Sensor Excel when it quit holding blades on the handle, but I can still buy those blades right next to my Mach 3 blades.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#45]
ummm...you guys are wussies if you need to replace your blades any less than every three months!
I use one disposable cartridge of my Schick extreme 3 up to 6 months. and I have THICK facial hair too.
Suck it up and your face will get used to it!

BTW, can someone give me a crash course on how to properly use a straight razor without bleeding yourself to death?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I shave in the shower with a Mach 3 Turbo handle and the old Mach 3 blades. I used old-fashioned shaving soap in a ceramic mug with a brush. That shaving soap gives the best shaves I've ever had, but I'm still sick of paying into the Gillette razor arms race.

I'm looking at going to a straight razor, but I have no idea what to get or how to take care of it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I used a straight razor for about six years. It's simple to use and you wont have to worry about your wife borrowing it.  They scare the shit out of chicks!

Get a good razor and a good strop. Strop the razor several times before shaving and a few after.  When you use a well stropped razor the hair comes off very easy and you wont cut yourself.  You can go from full beard to smooth shave in one pass unlike with other shaving tools.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about learning to use a straight razor....

Negative.  I thought I'd give it whirl once.  Never do that again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#50]
i use and electric for everyday when i don't need to be all that spiffy.  if i'm going out, church, job interview- or sometimes just for the heck of it i use a mach 3.  electrics aren't even close to a real blade.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top