Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:29:03 AM EDT
I'm wondering if Army basic training will put the smack down on me. Perhaps the air force would be a better choice if I decide to finally join up.

Any older guys have experience on this matter?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask your Orthopaedist. Or maybe a sports physiologist. I would think they could give you some sort of stress test to determine the probablity of a blow-out based on a certain set of activities.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear the Mall Force has openings...

(of course you would be required to wear MALLPAT)

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The older you get, the more malfunctions you will experience.

I agree with DzlBenz.  Sports doctors can do amazing things.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you joining active or guard/reserves?  I ask because someone with a bum knee might be able to stand up to basic and AIT but might fall apart if you get into an MOS that has you rucking a lot full time.  
It IS possible to tough out basic and AIT with something like that---friend of mine went through basic at age 33 with a bum ankle...he just basically gritted his teeth and put up with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you joining active or guard/reserves?  I ask because someone with a bum knee might be able to stand up to basic and AIT but might fall apart if you get into an MOS that has you rucking a lot full time.  
It IS possible to tough out basic and AIT with something like that---friend of mine went through basic at age 33 with a bum ankle...he just basically gritted his teeth and put up with it.

Glad you asked. This would be the reserves.

Perhaps even the air nat'l guard might be a viable option.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, good luck to you man.  I hope your knees let you do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top