Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:00:02 PM EDT
I just bought a 300gb SATA drive to replace my 80GB SATA drive I have now. I plugged the new drive in, restarted windows and let the install do it's thing. It then tells me that the drive is installed and ready to use. Problem is, I cannot find the drive! I've looked under "My computer" and it's not there. Did it forget to assign it a drive letter? What's the deal here? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Right click my computer and then go to manage.
Go to disk management and assign drive letter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the BIOS setup. Depending on your PC's manufacturer, it's F2,6,8 or 10 on boot. Make sure the second drive shows up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment -> {Select the Partition} Right Click -> Assign Drive Letter
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, make sure you have everything cabled correctly.

SATA drive info
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
All I had to do was the "right click. manage" on my computer and then it was a cakewalk from there. I had played with the "manage" thing before, but forgot how to get there. After that, I clicked on Casper XP, and it's all ready to go!! Thanks for the help everyone. Virtual cake and pie for everyone!!

Kris
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have the actual jumpers on the back of the drives assigned correctly?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the machine possibly think it is part of a RAID?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you have the actual jumpers on the back of the drives assigned correctly?

It's a SATA drive. It doesn't have jumpers. (at least the 2 SATA drives I have now don't have them. ) I've got it taken care of. Thanks for helping.

Kris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top