Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 8:09:23 PM EDT
Report: Trapped Russian Submarine Surfaces
Saturday, August 06, 2005

PHOTOS VIDEO

Click image to enlarge
STORIES LINKS

Crews Attempt To Lift Submarine

PETROPAVLOVSK-KAMCHATSKY, Russia  — A Russian mini-submarine that was trapped for nearly three days under the Pacific Ocean surfaced Sunday after a British remote-controlled vehicle cut away the undersea cables that had snarled it, news agencies reported.

The AS-28 (search) made an emergency surfacing and appeared on the water at around 4:26 p.m. local time, ITAR-Tass and RIA-Novosti reported.

The condition of the vessel's seven-member crew was not immediately known, though naval officials had been in regular contact with the crew, who faced dwindling oxygen and chilly temperatures.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
man, I hope this is legit.

Submarines...there are so many ways to die on one........
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
FoxNews reported that all 7 were alive, and being "evaluated" by military doctors.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thankfully they accepted foreign assistance.  That saved their butts.  The chilly temperatures are protective to hypoxia to a limited extent.

If it is on the surface, chances are good all made it but nothing is certain.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
thats great news
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank the Lord.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Good news indeed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Eternal God, whose creative hand turned primeval seas into oceans wide, and whose omnipresent love can be as keenly felt beneath as above their undulating surface; descend with us now into the silent depths as our unfailing guide.

We men of the silent service are grateful to be among the few ever to thrill with the excitement of a dive, and sheer ecstasy of each surfacing. May we never look upon these maneuvers as mere routine, for each is an experience fresh with challenge and no little danger.  May we be ever alert to our individual duties realizing that so much depends on our doing our duty without error.

May we remember the new member of our crew who is to make his first descent, and breathe a prayer that he shall be a good submariner. May we, who know what it is to follow a course, also know Him, who said "I am the way." May we, who gulp in hastily the first breaths of fresh air as it rushes down the hatchway following every dive, know also thy refreshing spirit.

May we who know the necessity for companionship feel our partnership with thee when the hatches are dogged and when we are rigged for diving. When all else of the surface world has been closed out, may we feel thee in every compartment, as near to us as throbbing engines, pinging sonar and the hissing of compressed air.  And when, as aging submariners our souls have descended into the depths of eternity, may the final call to us be "Surface, surface, surface," in the name of Him who rides as the unseen crewman on every ship at sea.  Amen.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank god.  Those poor bastards on the Kursk died slow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:13:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Since the chinese were practicing war manuvers with the russians sub, did the chinese offer to help at all? Or did the russians only want safety and rescue manuvers with the US?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
thats great news

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#14]
cool,

I bet the discovery channel is already trying to put a show together.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Since the chinese were practicing war manuvers with the russians sub, did the chinese offer to help at all? Or did the russians only want safety and rescue manuvers with the US?

According to an interview with a former SecNav I saw yesterday, the USN and Russian Navy have been doing rescue training together in recent months.
That probably was the determining factor that made the USN the go to guys.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to an interview with a former SecNav I saw yesterday, the USN and Russian Navy have been doing rescue training together in recent months.
That probably was the determining factor that made the USN the go to guys.
DaddyDett

I did not know that/ missed that interview. I saw on fox news this AM that Russia is dead broke as far as the military goes, Many bases have no power and they spend ZERO on safety.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top