Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 1:27:05 PM EDT
I'm tiling my folk's terrace; it's a concrete slab that's been painted and, I believe waterproofed.

I'm taking it that I should strip the paint first? How best to do this on concrete?

The substrate's visually flat, but there's a gentle slope towards a drain. Are there any moisture issues I should be worried about?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ask here...

www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1

They will give you excellent advice, and if you follow it, the tile job will be sucessful.

Be advised that you are in for a bunch of work removing the paint and prepping the concrete for tile.

Painted concrete and tile do not go together!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm tiling my folk's terrace; it's a concrete slab that's been painted and, I believe waterproofed.

I'm taking it that I should strip the paint first? How best to do this on concrete?

The substrate's visually flat, but there's a gentle slope towards a drain. Are there any moisture issues I should be worried about?

commercial pressure washer should take the paint off
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Aha, thx.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop by a local Contractor/Heavy equipment rental store.

A 4000 psi pressure washer should take alot of the paint off, but if it's a good epoxy paint, you may need more help...

An electric "Twin Disc Grinder" made by EDCO will certainly be up to the task.
It's a very heavy/aggressive machine with two rotary drive wheels under it. You can attach grinding stones, carbide scrapers, or Diamaserts (Diamond impregnated inserts) to the drive wheels. For paint, you want to use either the carbides, or diamaserts.
This will do the job without question...

EDCO INC

These are the cats ass...  We rent them for exactly what you are doing...

These are the diamaserts...

These are the carbides...

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Huh. I'll consider that as a last resort. The terrace is only 20'x7'

Let me try my Dremel first
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top