You didnt get the memo?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a good discussion going on about this in the SWAT forum. Check it out:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=131&t=375592

Supposedly, this device offers Gen III type clarity, but only costs $250.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I read the SWAT article also.

My father and I have wanted something lower-end but of decent performance for awhile.  I researched Gen I scopes and decided it was not worth the $500.

SWFA has the Weaver NV for $178 but they are out of stock.
I ordered one from Optics Planet for $199 with free UPS shipping.

I'll report on the functionality when it gets in.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Generation 4 is issued to Army helo pilots, IIRC.

The question is, is this NOD dependent on infrared illume, or can it operate on just the ambient light.  If you use a NOD with infrared illume, you may as well use a flashlight if the other guy has NODs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I read the SWAT article also.

My father and I have wanted something lower-end but of decent performance for awhile.  I researched Gen I scopes and decided it was not worth the $500.

SWFA has the Weaver NV for $178 but they are out of stock.
I ordered one from Optics Planet for $199 with free UPS shipping.

I'll report on the functionality when it gets in.  

there is another thread goin on this in the swat forum. the reviews have not been good for the most part.

Just read that and repled with the same thing.

I am going to look at the return policy and go from there............ I am interested in being able to sight a coyote at 100yards, does'nt sound like this can do that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
since when did gen 4 exist?

You didnt get the memo?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is my attempt to mount the Weaver Nightvew in a way so that it can work with my EOTech.

My EOTech is on a LaRue mount, which has a small rail behind the sight for mounting a night vision device:

Since the Nightview has a tripod screw mount on it, I decided to work with that. I purchased an A.R.M.S. #17S mount, which is just a small piece that clamps to picatinny rails and allows you to screw or bolt small devices to it. It has two holes in it from the factory. The holes are already counter suck on the under side. The hole that is on the end of mount that the locking lever points to when it is locked, needed to be enlarged to 1/4" to accommodate the machine screw that wil screw into the Nightview:

Under side of #17S:

I fed a half inch long 1/4" machine screw through the #17S and put two 14S brass washers on before screwing it into the Nightview. I played around with different numbers of washers, and this seemed like the best height:

After screwing the #17S and washers onto the Nightview it was ready to mount to my M4gery:

Completed:

Close up of completed:

It seems to work. The Nightview rests lightly on the A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS, but i think that this is a good thing, as it adds some stability.

I can see the EOTech reticle through the Nightview, but I will have to wait until it gerts darker to see how well it can function as part of a gun sight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#17]
gunslinger,
That looks unshootable. Is there any way to move all of that forward about 8"?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a digital nite veiwer but not this type and it is a very clear picture much better than gen1or2 nite scopes.I have a gen 1 nitevision scope for my AR and although it is clear and bright it dont even compare to the digital veiwer. The whole thing to rember is the word digital,it uses different technology that seems to be better in the dark than the intensifier tube type. Also the digital veiwer that I have is black and white not green its like looking at a black and white TV only smaller.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a digital nite veiwer but not this type and it is a very clear picture much better than gen1or2 nite scopes.I have a gen 1 nitevision scope for my AR and although it is clear and bright it dont even compare to the digital veiwer. The whole thing to rember is the word digital,it uses different technology that seems to be better in the dark than the intensifier tube type. Also the digital veiwer that I have is black and white not green its like looking at a black and white TV only smaller.

Could you tell me the maker and model
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
gunslinger,
That looks unshootable. Is there any way to move all of that forward about 8"?

It actually is shootable with the stock extended out all the way. I didn't move my EOTech from where I normally have it mounted, but you definitely could move it forward if you dont mind the optic being partially or entirely mounted to the rail instead of the receiver. I use a KAC M4 RAS rail system, which isn't really designed for mounting optics to, but it could be done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top