Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:53:14 PM EDT
Sexual liaison with teen boy brings jail term for lawyer
Met in chat room: The attorney was HIV-positive, and knew it, when he met with the youth at his home
By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune

A Utah attorney who knew he was HIV-positive when he had sex with a 14-year-old boy two years ago was sentenced Wednesday to probation and 90 days in jail.
  Third District Judge Timothy Hanson said he was not imposing jail time because Howard P. Johnson is gay or HIV-positive, but because he committed a crime.
   "There has to be some punitive sanction, and 90 days is about right," said Hanson.
   Johnson, 51, who met the boy in an Internet chat room, is not a pedophile or a predator, according to defense attorney John Caine. "But he has had some lapses in judgment."
  The judge agreed, saying that when the boy appeared on Johnson's doorstep in Salt Lake City, the defendant should have sent him away.
  "You are an attorney. I expect more from an attorney," the judge said.
   Johnson was charged with two counts of first-degree felony forcible sodomy and one second-degree felony count of enticing a minor over the Internet.
  He pleaded guilty to reduced counts of third-degree felony unlawful sexual activity with a minor and class A misdemeanor enticing a minor over the Internet.
  When the teen arrived at Johnson's home on Oct. 15, 2003, Johnson answered the door naked and the two engaged in oral and anal sex.
   The boy wore a condom, but later grew concerned about HIV because of some vials he saw in Johnson's bedroom. The teen was tested for HIV and the results were negative. Health officials reported the case to police.
  Johnson told authorities he believed the boy was an adult. But prosecutor Paul Amann said the victim "appears young" to the extent that no one would have any doubt about his youth.
  Caine called the victim "a sophisticated 14-year-old who had his own Website and was seeking activity."
  Caine suggested home confinement instead of jail time.
  But Amann - who requested a one-year sentence for Johnson - noted that Johnson claims he is "always naked at home," and that he answers the door in the nude when receiving postal and pizza deliveries.
  "He's a person with no boundaries," said Amann.
  The prosecutor also claimed that when, as part of a pre-sentence evaluation, Johnson's sexual proclivities were tested with a device that measures blood flow to the penis, Johnson tried to defeat the test "by flexing and relaxing his pelvis muscles."
  Amann also said Johnson has blamed the victim for what happened.
  Johnson made no comment in court, but had written a letter to the judge in which he took responsibility and apologized to the victim, Caine said. "He realized he'd crossed the line. But he did feel that the victim bore some responsibility."
  Now that Johnson has been sentenced, he faces possible disbarment.
  "My assumption is that if someone is convicted of a crime of moral turpitude, which this is, you'll be disbarred," Amann said after the hearing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
another banner day for the legal system!

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet if he met with a 14 year old girl he would have gotten a longer sentance.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
He should be executed immediately.  There can be no discussion on this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Third District Judge Timothy Hanson said he was not imposing jail time because Howard P. Johnson is gay or HIV-positive, but because he committed a crime.

Yes he did.......but the crime should have been ruled as attemped murder.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bet if he met with a 14 year old girl he would have gotten a longer sentance.

Muthaf*cking right he would. What crock.
The courts (judges) will destroy this nation one case at a time
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
90 day sentence at what?

- being on fire?

- being eaten alive by ants?

- held under water?

I'm fine with any of the above 90 day sentences.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
90 days for three felonys, two of them rape charges........
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
This goes right in the face of the female  teacher who got 5 yrs. after affair with 14 YO boy. But that was a hetro. relationship. That's far worse than a homo. relationship. Right
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This goes right in the face of the female  teacher who got 5 yrs. after affair with 14 YO boy.

Legal system takes care of their own.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
WTF?  I thought pedophile felonies had a minimum of 5 years.  And its usually a minimum of 15 years.

90 days?

This country is no better then Iraq if that is true.   Sorry but that is just sad.

Post your source.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This goes right in the face of the female  teacher who got 5 yrs. after affair with 14 YO boy.

Gay HIV positive men who rape boys are just......"misunderstood"......we must make allowances....

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]

"You are an attorney. I expect more from an attorney," the judge said

Uh yeah, Your Honor, and shouldn't we expect just a little more from a freakin' judge?!!!!

Hence the importance (to both political parties) of who gets to sit on our Supreme Courts and other Federal appointees. If this account doesn't make you wonder what's happening to our judicial system, I don't know what will.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
That bastard should have a bullet planted into his head. Engaging in any sexual activities when you know you have HIV or AIDS is murder.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
This pisses me off so fucking bad. This countries' morals are going straight down the shithole.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Attempted murder.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Attempted murder.

+1

Should go straight to the death house.
Fucking savage....

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Was the understanding judge a flaming fag too?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
The lawyer was probably screwing the judge.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attempted murder.

+1

Should go straight to the death house.
Fucking savage....

+2
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
HIV+ man meets 14 year old at the door naked, proceeds to have oral sex and sodomize the boy.

Is charged with two counts of first-degree felony forcible sodomy and one second-degree felony count of enticing a minor over the Internet.

Bargained down to third-degree felony unlawful sexual activity with a minor and class A misdemeanor enticing a minor over the Internet.

Defense attorney says "... he has had some lapses in judgment."

Judge says  "You are an attorney. I expect more from an attorney,"

Judge gives him 90 days in jail.

I don't give a SHIT about "the law" and crap like this just keeps reminding me why I don't.  I believe in JUSTICE, something that is so far removed from the current "legal system" that no one has a clue what it is anymore.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This pisses me off so fucking bad. This countries' morals are going straight down the shithole.

2 Timothy 3:1-5,7

1) This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6) Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I bets on whether Judge Timothy Hanson just came into a LARGE sum of money?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#30]

"Johnson, 51, who met the boy in an Internet chat room, is not a pedophile or a predator"

Screwing a 14year old makes him a pedophile and a predator
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.  There should be much discussion.  Perhaps discussion centering around coffee and donuts, or perhaps a nice meal out somewhere.  This discussion should be at length, and with a full accounting of the emotional identities of the participants.

And it should be held immediately after the execution of that sick fucker who should be bubba's cockcharm but got off easy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#33]
That is just sick.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
HIV+ man meets 14 year old at the door naked, proceeds to have oral sex and sodomize the boy.

Is charged with two counts of first-degree felony forcible sodomy and one second-degree felony count of enticing a minor over the Internet.

Bargained down to third-degree felony unlawful sexual activity with a minor and class A misdemeanor enticing a minor over the Internet.

Defense attorney says "... he has had some lapses in judgment."

Judge says  "You are an attorney. I expect more from an attorney,"

Judge gives him 90 days in jail.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/nuke.gif

I don't give a SHIT about "the law" and crap like this just keeps reminding me why I don't.  I believe in JUSTICE, something that is so far removed from the current "legal system" that no one has a clue what it is anymore.

Two words: Star Chamber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Sick.....just plain fucking sick.

That's all one can say.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Where the fuck is the boys parents, and why is this guy still breathing, you would think some one would have done the deed by now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Both the lawyer and the judge should be on death row.

CW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top