Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 5:34:25 PM EDT
Ok, some basic info.  I am a college student who was in need of some serious money for next year.  So, I signed up as a branch operator for a residential painting company.  Basically, you run your own painting company and have the ability to make some serious $ doing so.  So it came time to hire workers, and I chose this stocky Asian guy to work for me that seemed rather reputable.  He went to high school with me and seemed like a great worker.  Then, out of no where he starts spewing this garbage saying that he's a Marine that has trained for 11 years (he's barely 18, which I find funny) and that he bears the rank of Captain!!!!  Some of his funniest comments were... "I got shot in the knee and dug it out with my knife, and they had to fly me to Virginia to get it taken care of."  This was all fun and great until he kept saying that he had to leave for training.  He keeps saying that he has to go downtown (Is there even a base in downtown Chicago?!?!) or Indianapolis.  Furthermore, these training days are random, like a wednesday or a tuesday afternoon.  This has become a problem, so I plan on firing him, but not yet.  First I want all of you to flame him for being the poser he is and then I shall print out this thread and present it to him.  BTW, as a future USMC member (I dare not say Marine until I get the title) I AM OUTRAGED at this poser.  He might have done JROTC cause I saw him in uniform in high school, but that was it.  SO please, give me some fodder to give to him when I fire him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Speaking as an employer myself, you fire them for not doing their job. Personal issues don't matter. You want to get sued?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OH I almost forgot, he thought that three round burst was civilian legal, w/o NFA paperwork because it is not "FULL AUTO"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Speaking as an employer myself, you fire them for not doing their job. Personal issues don't matter. You want to get sued?

Well Ican't fire him if what he says is true...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell him to stop skipping his meds or he'll be spanked severely and sent to bed without supper.

sounds like a kid with a compulsive lieing problem. Too many lies and he'll look like this
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

True, but if he is taking off for "training" that doesn't exist, I would fire his ass and let him sue me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again, does he do his job or not? That is all that matters if you want to fire him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just say bullshit. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but if he is taking off for "training" that doesn't exist, I would fire his ass and let him sue me.

He will have papers if that is true. It is his job to show his orders.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ask for a LES, or whatever the Gyrene equivalent is.  It's a military pay stub.  Leave and Earnings Statement.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
He's a Craptain?  He should be running his own ship.  Let him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In some states, you can be fired "at will" "with or without cause".  So, depending on how the law is written, he may be able to fire the guy simply because he doesn't like his attitude.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Conversation should go something like this:

Hey Joe, come here.  Your leaving in the middle of the day and at odd times is wrecking my schedule.  The next time you take off for military training, I am going to need some paperwork from your CO or a copy of your orders.

When he takes off again and no papers? No job.

Forget the Perry Mason moments.  Just ask for documentation and fire him when you don't get it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Get rid of him. he will steal or fu$% you somehow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again, does he do his job or not? That is all that matters if you want to fire him.

He's right.
I've worked with many a dumbass, but so long as they do their job to the minimum, they can't be touched.

Well, unless you have a contract with him - then give him his two weeks, tell him you need to downsize.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]

I re-read your post.  Print out copy of thread and give it to him?  Grow up.  Getting "personal" with this will get YOU screwed.  

No papers, no job.  Nothing personal, just business.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Ask him what is the color of the boathouse at Paris Island.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's right.
I've worked with many a dumbass, but so long as they do their job to the minimum, they can't be touched.

Well, unless you have a contract with him - then give him his two weeks, tell him you need to downsize.

Illinois is an at-will state, assuming that Illinois law governs your employer/employee relationship. You could fire him because you don't like his aftershave, unless you have some sort of contract governing the employment relationship. Anytime you fire someone in a protected class (disabled, elderly, etc.) you should be prepared to defend against a claim of unlawful discrimination.

I'd say that lying about training to get time off is ample cause for termination. Just ask him to provide you with a means to verify his claims. If he cannot substantiate them, or refuses to do so, termination would seem to be in order.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell him he's full of it.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Post back when he says that he can't give you documentation because it is "classified".

And fire his ass as soon as he says that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Conversation should go something like this:

Hey Joe, come here.  Your leaving in the middle of the day and at odd times is wrecking my schedule.  The next time you take off for military training, I am going to need some paperwork from your CO or a copy of your orders.

When he takes off again and no papers? No job.

Forget the Perry Mason moments.  Just ask for documentation and fire him when you don't get it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Ask him what the third general order is.  If he comes back with a blank stare, call him a poser to his face.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#24]
contact the ESGR

Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve

They will handle the situation promptly!!!

www.esgr.org/

Tell them your problem, seriously dude

This coming from a Naval Reservist, don't flame him, let the government handle it
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#25]
an alternate route:  tell him you're going to join the military (if he doesnt know that already) and you're really curious what a military ID looks like.  tell him to bring it, and see how many lies he can come up with on how he forgot it?

or even go "where is it?  oh, your house.  gotcha.  well thats not far, how about i follow you home today and you can show me it.  i'm REAAAALLLY curious"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What he said.  Check your juvinile antics at the door once you have someone in your employ.  I hope you have him as an independent contractor because as an employee, he's about to give you a bunch of headaches.  Fire him for CAUSE, not for being a psycho loser.  If he's not showing up for his work hours, then stop calling him for the other jobs or just fire his ass.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Ask him what type of rifle he as issued - M4, M16-A1, A2, A3, A4?  Ask him what he thinks about the new armor piercing 7.62 ammo for the M16.  (M16 shoots 5.56)  Ask him what MARPAT is?  Ask him where the Marines got the name Devil Dogs?  Ask him where he had basic training.  Ask him where Parris Island is - what state?  etc.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ask him what type of rifle he as issued - M4, M16-A1, A2, A3, A4?  Ask him what he thinks about the new armor piercing 7.62 ammo for the M16.  (M16 shoots 5.56)  Ask him what MARPAT is?  Ask him where the Marines got the name Devil Dogs?  Ask him where he had basic training.  Ask him where Parris Island is - what state?  etc.

Devil Dogs came from the Battle of Bellau Wood against the Germans, right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Devil Dogs came from the Battle of Bellau Wood against the Germans, right?

I believe so.  The German is Teuffel Hunden.  Their sniping ability caught the German's off guard.  Marines have always been known for their ability to reach out and touch folks from long distances.   Pissed the Germans off no end when they started dropping like flies and they couldn't see who was shooting them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ask him what the third general order is.  If he comes back with a blank stare, call him a poser to his face.

If this kid did MCJROTC he had that drilled in years one through four.  Not a valid test.

Orders to attend training or even a current (not expired) Reservist ID card for initial verification.  He should definitely be able to produce an ID.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this kid did MCJROTC he had that drilled in years one through four.  Not a valid test.

Orders to attend training or even a current (not expired) Reservist ID card for initial verification.  He should definitely be able to produce an ID.

Good point.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Tell him to bring in his orders for training, a vlid military ID, or some photographic evidence(TBS, OCS, or boot camp photos) all Marines will have at least one of the 3.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Indiana is a right to fire state, you don't have to have a reason.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#34]
For the love of God...
Do you really need a gang bang before you can work up the nerve to fire someone???
Do you need the collective balls of ARFCOM to flame this guy to make YOU feel less insignificant in this life???The guy sounds like an ass. Tell him he's an ass and fire him...you don't need ARFCOM to hand down judgement do you? Or do you need validation in the form of the number of replies or hits to this thread to feel like "the man??"
Grow a pair and fire the guy and move on...
People who need their friends to "back them up" and egg them on to do something really need a spinal transplant in my book. Don't be afraid to stand alone and get the job done. Keep your friends watching your six when you need them...ya know...like in a bar fight in Okinawa...

Sorry to slam ya so hard...but you sound young...and if you're ready to join the corps, get used to being talked to that way when ya do something stupid.

Nothing personal...just a dumb move.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#35]
legalese77 is right.

can him.

but as said above. no need to ask us to flame the guy.

jst fire him and keep it simple.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]
You plan on printing out this post and giving it to him?

Hopefully the Marine Corps will stomp out your immaturity.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1.  And since you know this guy from HS why is this even an issue?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

shit...the sue you if you fire them for not doing their job around here.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
OH I almost forgot, he thought that three round burst was civilian legal, w/o NFA paperwork because it is not "FULL AUTO"

One squeez, three shots.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Rule #1: Never hire or be in a position to supervise your friends or family. They know you too well and will use that to their advantage.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:31:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Tell him you want to see orders every time he has to go to "training".
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on the id. guess you could also ask to see his dogtags. .mil ones aren't like the ones you get from brigade qm as far as format. plus marcor ones are even more diff than the other services.

also, if he DOES know where pi is and says that's where he trained, well, officers don't train there. you could ask him what the statue is out in front of the tbs hq bldg is...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Too bad you're not in Texas.  You can fire anyone, anytime, without reason.  You could have an employee getting ready to retire and you can legally fire him.  That's what they call "at will" employment.

+1...Florida is the same way.  We call it a "right to work" state.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  And since you know this guy from HS why is this even an issue?

Sgatr15

If you know this guy from high school, that means you are the same age (or close to).  How could he have 11 years in?  You are what, 20?  For "most" people 11 years in means you are 29, minimum.  This smells highly of bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#45]
He's a punk kid with a wild imagination. You can't fire hime for that. If he's doing his job just chuckle
at him and remember to keep your paint strokes moving in the same direction. If he's not doing his
job then and only then can you fire him.

If I had flamed every poser I've met, half the world would be burt to a crisp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top