Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2005 12:41:56 PM EDT
I made some money this summer working at my dad's ranch property, and after paying off some expenses I have about $2000 left.

The thing is my 21st birthday is coming up and I really want to get this gun for $1500. It's a Steyr SPP yeah I'm a sucker for European exotic guns. My girlfriend's birthday is also coming up and I think she wants this diamond necklace, but it's a $1000.

So, what should I do - buy the Steyr for myself, and get her something for $500 and pretend I didn't know what she wanted? She's not the kind of girl who would say anything.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Your money. Do with it what makes YOU happy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Find the necklace at a cheaper price, then go buy a Bushmaster or other AR variant. Screw the Steyr!

PS: WTF $1000.00 for a birthday present. Lose the girlfriend, too high maintenance. Then go buy more guns. Chicks dig the Black Rifle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
She wants a $1,000 neclace?

Judging from the pictures she look under 20...

Pass on the neclace, and tell her to smile more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
She wants a $1,000 neclace?

Judging from the pictures she look under 20...

Pass on the neclace, and tell her to smile more.

She will be 19 in fact.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to start listening to Tom Leykis.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Get her some $500 diamond earrings.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I made some money this summer working at my dad's ranch property, and after paying off some expenses I have about $2000 left.

The thing is my 21st birthday is coming up and I really want to get this gun for $1500. It's a Steyr SPP yeah I'm a sucker for European exotic guns. My girlfriend's birthday is also coming up and I think she wants this diamond necklace, but it's a $1000.

So, what should I do - buy the Steyr for myself, and get her something for $500 and pretend I didn't know what she wanted? She's not the kind of girl who would say anything.

Dude, you are 20 years old.  DO NOT spend 50% of your life savings on a woman... for ANY reason.

If she knows your financial situation and is showing you $1000, or even $500 necklaces, run anyway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You need to start listening to Tom Leykis.

That's no shit!  Start tomorrow, Thursday night the Professor is in.   Take notes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
If you buy the necklace when she leaves your out $1000+, atleast you will have you gun, hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Invest in your future:

1: Buy her the necklace. She'll think of you whenever she wears it.

2: Better yet, buy her a ring and propose. Get a ring about $1000

3: Use the remaining grand to buy a team membership, order a SEBR, and spend the remaining $200 on mags and ammo.

Thank me later. And yes, I'm serious.

Edit: Unless this is your life savings... If so, BANK THAT MONEY.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You're 21 and contemplating getting a $1,000 gift for your girlfriend?

Is this a normal amount of money for you to have on a regular basis? If so buy both as it won't be hard to come up with the other $500 and you'll have a few thousand bucks to blow in relatively short order soon enough.

If this is a unusually large amount of money for you to have then what the hell are you thinking? What the hell is she thinking for wanting such an extravagant gift from a person of limited means. Why would you even contemplate the gift? You may even want to reconsider the firearm purchase if you don't come across this kind of money regularly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the weapon that makes you happy....give her a pearl necklace (it's free).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
ZIRCON!

ETA
We'd all be better off if we invested 10% off the top and "made do" on the other 9/10th.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dude, you are 20 years old.  DO NOT spend 50% of your life savings on a woman... for ANY reason.

If she knows your financial situation and is showing you $1000, or even $500 necklaces, run anyway.

+1

Nothing but a Trail of Tears, there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get the weapon that makes you happy....give her a pearl necklace (it's free).

+1 on the pearl necklace. That way you both get something out of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That is WAY too much to spend on a GF.  Get her a card.  And spend your money on you.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Girlfriend advises: Don't friggen spend $1,000 on a neclace for her. Once the spending stops, she leaves.

I'd tend to agree, and judging from the other thread she seems to have some emotional and self confidence problems and requires constant reassurance that she's not crazy.

This should be a sign that says "RUN, FORREST! RUN!!!"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Spending $1000 on a GF's Bday is insane. Totally insane.
If you were married and it was Xmas or your anniversary of many years, it might be another story. Further, the odds of you staying with her are incredibly small. Yup, insane.

Pretty high maintenance, Dude.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Dont spend the grand on her. You are 21 and she is 19. I guaran-god-damn-tee you that you wont be with her within five years. Enjoy the puntang while you can and then move on.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#20]
advice?

buy neither the gun nor the necklace.

put that money in some mutual funds.

some day you will be able to buy her all the diamonds she wants and buy yourself all the guns you want.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
a grand on a neclace for a girl when you're in a relationship when you're 19.... Run, and run quickly, she's very cute but she's walking all over you if you're considering spending that much on you and she'll just cheat on you when you're away at school anyways... ask me how I know..  I'm 19 myself, get the rifle, save for a better car, put it towards tuition, christ just don't spend a grand on a necklace, thats madness right there man, and any girl asking for such a gift is not worthy of you're time and money. However I have no doubt you'll disregard what has been said and do it anyways... again as me how I know Good luck and enjoy you're money

Steve
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Are you kidding??

He's 20 and she's 19 - No need to rush in to that trap yet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]
The SPP won't cheat on you some day.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding??

I know someone who is 16 and in the process of screwing up thier life doing that
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding??

I married when I was 21... What are you trying to say?  

I figured if he was responsible - I'm not saying he IS, just IF - he'd forego a necklace that would go bye-bye if they broke up and "invest in his future" and marry her...

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
advice?

buy neither the gun nor the necklace.

put that money in some mutual funds.

some day you will be able to buy her all the diamonds she wants and buy yourself all the guns you want.

Very good advise.

And if she isn't around, you'll be able to buy that nice rifle and still have money left.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ask me how I know..  

again as me how I know

Steve

How do you know?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Your girlie friend will be a distant, faded memory before you even break in your gun, so, get the gun and forget the diamonds. get her a stuffed bear or something. If you end up marrying her and your still together after 20 years, then get her the diamond necklace. That'll give you plenty of time to save up for it and in the mean time you get to keep your money and spend it on you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Why not the ARFcom tradition,

Get both!!!

Buy her a nice necklace (you can get something that will keep you knee deep in poon for >$600)
www.helzberg.com/hdsim/jsp/catalog.do?link=catalog&product_id=1570703&channelId=-8807&rootChannelName=%2FCommerce+Navigation%2F%3C%21--A--%3EJewelry&BV_SessionID=@@@@1576443934.1123101996@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddfflmllfecflgcefkdfkjdffl.0&channelName=%3C%21--D--%3ENecklaces&programId=9334

This is from helzberg so you can beat the price somewhere.

and then buy you an SPP (if you wan't, but think of parts, mags and ammo)

or an AR.

you both get something you want, and she won't ever forget that you gave  her a nice necklace,
but you aren't invested in over your head.

My $.02 YMMV IIRC etc...

When I was dead broke, (well relatively, less so then now) I saved and bought my GF some nice but inexepensive diamond earrings, and a necklace for birthday and christmas. Even though she has nicer things now, she really only wears those.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I got to say she didn't ask for it outright. I can tell these things though when we went to the mall and I saw her look at the window.

also, we've been together for almost two years now and she really is a great girl,  been with me through some tough times like when I broke my leg.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well I got to say she didn't ask for it outright. I can tell these things though when we went to the mall and I saw her look at the window.

also, we've been together for almost two years now and she really is a great girl,  been with me through some tough times like when I broke my leg.

And don't listen to the guys here, not every girl is a bunny-boiler (granted its probably 97% but thats not all of them)

If you think it would make her happy, and have no issues spending the money do it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We know the score.

Whoa Dude, that is heavy....

Listen, you're too young, so is she. A grand for a bday? No way.
She drooled over a diamond necklace? Yeah, that is unique.

Personally, I think it would hurt your relationship anyhow.

Rifle or invest gets my vote.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been with my girlfriend for over 3 years, if I bought her a $1,000 dollar necklace she'd think I'm retarded.  A girl asking for a thousand dollar gift that's only 19, and knows your financial situation  is not a girl I'd want to be with.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've been with my girlfriend for over 3 years, if I bought her a $1,000 dollar necklace she'd think I'm retarded.  A girl asking for a thousand dollar gift that's only 19, and knows your financial situation  is not a girl I'd want to be with.

Digital

Yeah some girls are different. My girl is just very feminine or something. She loves flowers and girly things like that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Take the money and open up a Roth IRA with it. You will thank me in 40 years! In fact, I wouldn't mind 10% of the compounded interest.

Don't spend the money. Save it. Start accumulating wealth!

If you make 10% on the money, when you turn 60 it will be worth over $250,000.

If you make the stock market average of 12%, it will be worth over $500,000.

If you make better than the stock market average say 15%, it will be worth over $1.6million.

Start investing NOW!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Take the money and open up a Roth IRA with it. You will thank me in 40 years! In fact, I wouldn't mind 10% of the compounded interest.

BO-RING!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Digital

Yeah some girls are different. My girl is just very feminine or something. She loves flowers and girly things like that.

Get her a dozen roses, a box of good chocolates, and maybe a less expensive piece of jewelry. Or, take her out for a nice dinner at a somewhat classy place followed by a night on the town. Open doors for her and whatnot. Keep the whole package under $500. I wouldn't rush in to marriage just yet though....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#39]
If she lets you stick it in her pooper and post pics, buy her a $300 ring and get your gun.

If not, keep banging her and buy yourself the weapon of your choice.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Invest in your future:

1: Buy her the necklace. She'll think of you whenever she wears it.

3: Use the remaining grand to buy a team membership, order a SEBR, and spend the remaining $200 on mags and ammo.

Thank me later. And yes, I'm serious.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BO-RING!

I'll show you boring.
At 10% APR and a $2500 initial investment with no further additions he would, at age 65, have:

$182,000

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BO-RING!

I'll show you boring.
At 10% APR and a $2500 initial investment with no further additions he would, at age 65, have:

$182,000

Nice job on the recalculation!!  Also, please point me to one of those fixed rate IRA's with a 10% APR
I've got a couple of grand I could invest!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Take it from an old man who has been there 100's of times.

If she's really interested in you it wont matter what you buy her!
It will be good enough.

If she's not really interested in you it wont matter what you buy her!
It will NEVER be good enough!

God, that's one of the most profound statements I have ever read.

Would that I had read it before I got married the first time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't believe anyone has the gaul to ask for a $1,000 necklace from a boy friend.  If a boy gave my daughter a 1k necklace I would make her give it back.  Gifts should be given out of love and desire, not guilt.  Its your money, buy the gun, buy your gf a nice card and a pair of earrings. [under 100 bucks].  Now if you're engaged you could spend $200.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BO-RING!

I'll show you boring.

$182,000

Nice job on the recalculation!!  Also, please point me to one of those fixed rate IRA's with a 10% APR
I've got a couple of grand I could invest!

Average.
If you are paying attention or have a good advisor you should be able to do better than that many years. Figure it for whatever you expect as a return based on your risk but I don't think a 10% average is all that much to expect if you are willing to pay attention.

Glad I got to the recalc before most of the readers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That sounds better.  I mean I stare at exotic cars (on the street) all the time.  It doesn't mean it is a subliminal message to a spouse that she should run out and buy a Lamborghini.

I think tc6969 has it right.  Buy her something that she'd want, but around $100 (just an example).  If she has an expectation that you're going to drop major cash on her, that's a red flag.  Better to find out sooner rather than later.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I don't think dealing with a broken leg is a tough trial in a relationship...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#49]
You're an idiot if you spend $1000 on some stupid braods birthday gift.

But then I already think you're an idiot.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Buy your gun, do NOT buy her that necklace.

Because you will regret it when she runs off with another guy and pawns it so he can have rims on his car.

If she's complaining about jewelry, hand her a box of Cracker Jack and tell her to have at it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top