Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 12:33:24 PM EDT
Let me start off by saying that my  Mechanic is my nieghbor and a super good mechanic at that he runs his shop where they specialize in high dollar cars and has a pretty wealthy clientale.
He has also become a really good "friend" over the last couple years I have lived next to him , we drink together all time , he helped me get over a rough time in my life but he cant really give me huge discounts on the work since I am having it done in the shop.

Well I was telling him that my clutch was going out and I kind of asked if he wouldnt mind fixing it for me . He quoted me a pretty high amount but also said that he always over quotes so that way it is not a shock if there is extra work to done.
Well he tells me that while he was fixing my clutch he noticed a hose was really close to cracking so he replaced it . Okay cool hoses arent that much , then he tells me my rear main seal has a nasty leak .. well okay got to fix that (40 dollar seal - ) well the other day I called him and he said while he was working on it he noticed a engine mount was busted so he had to hunt down a engine mount and did not have my car ready due to running around all day looking for a motor mount - $100.

Well I am starting to think that I am never going to get my car back and all I really wanted was my clutch fixed what gives should I be happy that I am getting all this fixed or shocked that I am going to have to spend this much money. I am just really broke right now trying to go back to school and pay for alot of tickets I racked up with my motorcycle.

Today when I called he asked me if I have a oil filter? .. I suppose he is going to change my oil as well .

I know all this stuff needs to be fixed but eek, I wasnt expecting all this he tells me no big deal I can make pymts he said a couple of hundred a month..  :help: with a initial deposit of $400!

( sorry about spelling and grammar errors I was in a rush typing this up since I am working)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They DO NOT fix anything that you didnt tell them too.

You tell them you are NOT PAYING for anything extra they did, without your consent.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It's starting to sound like that episode of Seinfeld where "Tony" falls in love with Jerry's Saab.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I never get them to fix what I sent it in for, Im on the 5th alingment from this place and I just gave up on them getting it right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If he runs a shop, why isn't he calling NAPA and getting the part prices and lead times and requesting your permission before doing the work?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Never let a friend do work for you, cause he won't be your friend when the bill comes rolling around.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me of the mechanic for Jerry Seinfeld on that episode where the mechanic steals the car because Jerry won't let him fix everything.

The mechanic is just trying to take care of the car but he has forgotten that you are not made of money.  Tough call.  
You don't want to ruin the friendship.  Just pay it off and never let him work on it at the shop again.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like he is fixing what needs to be fixed; unless your "good" friend is reaming you out.

And slow the hell down on the bike before you hurt yourself; hospitals are expensive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This could get ugly.  Did you get a written estimate?  If so, pay for only the work you authorized.  Don't make a stink about it before hand.  The mechanic can "build his costs" into the work you authorized.  Many times they will try and intimidate you by claiming "mechanics lean" on your car and won't release it to you until you pay.  Make sure he shows you and offers to let you keep the parts he replaced.  If he doesn't, he is ripping you off.  If he still gives you a hard time, bring a cop with your...either that or a good attorney.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you "agreed" to some of the extra work, if after the fact, but I'd tell him "No mas!" and refuse to come out for the next round. And look for another mechanic or be real specific next time, "Fix X, period."

My stealership is pretty good- they'll call and discuss anything they find and whether it can slide, etc. If they can't get in touch they make a note and tell me when I show up to ransom my wheels.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you ever thought that he is just being a good friend? Invite him out for dinner (appreciation for looking out for you) and then see if he jacks you on the total cost when you get the car back.. Real friends will cut a deal on the labor, parts are pretty much low profit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you ever thought that he is just being a good friend? Invite him out for dinner (appreciation for looking out for you) and then see if he jacks you on the total cost when you get the car back.. Real friends will cut a deal on the labor, parts are pretty much low profit.

I have NO doubt he is just being a friend I just feel overwhelmed because its going to cost alot of money. He is probably one of the coolest guys I know when the car broke down he quite working on the car he was doing and got a trailer and went and picked up my car!

I just dont nkow how to tell him to stop being so friendly

As far as parts go he said he will charge me what they cost him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
If it is $100.00 over the original quote, my mechanic will fix other things he sees that need fixing. Over $100.00 and he will contact me BEFORE he does any work. We had this understanding from the begining.
I would seriously talk to the guy and state thanks for doing it BUT that you did not ask for all of this extra work. State you will pay it off in smaller payment amounts due to the fact that you did not ask for it to be done.

The work probably did need to be done...

RW3
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I see this a bit differently than some others here.  You said he's your friend.  I have fixed friends' computers for them in the past.  I couldn't close my eyes to other problems I found, even though they weren't even aware of them.

Maybe your friend just wanted to do a thorough job for you because you guys are buddies.  I do think though that you should make it clear you don't have money for any more extra repairs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have NO doubt he is just being a friend I just feel overwhelmed because its going to cost alot of money. He is probably one of the coolest guys I know when the car broke down he quite working on the car he was doing and got a trailer and went and picked up my car!

I just dont nkow how to tell him to stop he

That's easy, tell you him you have a lot of little fires burning and that you can't afford too many added expenses.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I can visualize you driving down the road with your nice new clutch, and all of a sudden the engine's overheating. Then you might be saying "Why the hell didn't he fix that hose while he had it?".

Also, if he repaired the rear main seal (which is probably what killed your clutch), he does have to change the oil since he probably removed the oil pan to gain access. A new filter at that point is a given, as is an oil pan gasket.

The engine mount, if it was broken, is a safety issue.

I say you're lucky to have an honest mechanic at your disposal. Unless you buy new cars, you will need a mechanic (unless you can work on them yourself). An honest one that knows what he's doing is a rare find.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can visualize you driving down the road with your nice new clutch, and all of a sudden the engine's overheating. Then you might be saying "Why the hell didn't he fix that hose while he had it?".

Also, if he repaired the rear main seal (which is probably what killed your clutch), he does have to change the oil since he removed the oil pan to gain access. A new filter at that point is a given.

I say you're lucky to have an honest mechanic at your disposal. Unless you buy new cars, you will need a mechanic (unless you can work on them yourself). An honest one that knows what he's doing is a rare find.

Thats what I was thinking thanks for helping me see it clearly though..

anyone have any idea what could happen because of a bad motor mount?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, if he repaired the rear main seal (which is probably what killed your clutch), he does have to change the oil since he removed the oil pan to gain access. A new filter at that point is a given.

Thats what I was thinking thanks for helping me see it clearly though..

anyone have any idea what could happen because of a bad motor mount?

The engine could move around under acceleration (or deceleration, depending on which mount was broken) and cause all kinds of cool damage. Even worse if it has a belt driven fan - imagine what that fan could do to your radiator and hoses, among other things.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#19]
The engine can move under acceleration, deceleration. It could put pressure on the other mounts, the tranny could vibrate inside causing a complete and catostrophic rupture/failure. It would be a complete drivetrain disaster. Lot's of $$$
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Is $100 is worth losing a friendship over?  He thinks he is doing you a favor and probably has only good intentions at heart.  He is fixing what needs to get done.  If he is a good mechanic then fuck it and just pay.  I have given my buddy $100 just because he asked if he could have some money.  And he has let me lean on him when I was a poor student. I dont know who owes who what anymore and I dont really give a fuck.  All I know is that he was there when I needed him and I returned the favor.  

$100 is a pile of  doo doo.  Pay him and thank for a great job and be done with it.  A good friend is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
As a former professional Ford mechanic, I will chime in and say this:

The guy should call and tell you what additional stuff he found and give you an idea what it might cost.

As a mechanic, I had customers that never questioned my work, if it was broke, fix it, they didn't have time to be down. Never did anything that didn't need to be done right then. If it could wait, I told them the deal & let them make the decision.

Yet other cusmers would bring in a car for repair of say a leaky power steering hose. Mean while, you've got rotted & bulging radiator hoses, belts with chunks out of them and a dozen other things that needed urgent attention. You replace the power steering hose, tell them about all the other problems, they nod at you like your trying to sell them something and they go on their way. They come back a few days later and bitch at you because you didn't fix the other problems.

Further up the asshole scale you'd get cheap ass fucking pricks of customers that would bring in a rattly rolling pile of shit to have the very bare minimum to get their ass down the road/ pass inspection. You'd fix exactly what they wanted, exactly how they wanted it fixed. Blowed out muffler? muffler tape and coat hanger was all they wanted done. You'd make the repair %100 to their specification & financial understanding. They'd pay and the next day be back bitching to high heaven that you fucked up something totally unrelated to the repair and then damn well expected you to repair it free of charge.

Boils down to this, if you can trust the guy and he is looking out for your best interest & safety, then work it out. If he is selling you shit like nitrogen fill for your tires, power flushing your engine block & transmission, teflon paint sealant, new platnium spark plugs before 100,000 miles. Then he's trying to make a buck off of you. It sounds like you run the shit out of your vehicles, so it probably really needs what he is suggesting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
okay it is all making sense to me now , I really want to say thanks to every one that has responded to this post. I wasnt really thinking .  I was just thinking about the money not really thinking about what it could cost in future repairs.
I do have to say that $100 is alot when you only have 438 dollars in your account and you have to  pay $400 to get the car out and you owe the city $608. in fines
I am sure he will let me slide on giving him less money but I gave him my word that I would give him $400 when I get my car back and I dont want him to think i'm a deadbeat. When I make a deal I usually keep it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to sel used cars most mechanics made us look like saints. Then agin I never had to lie to sell a car, I just made up the customers mind for them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#24]
And you need to change the title.  It should be my FRIEND is fixing stuff that I didnt....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top