Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 2:39:57 AM EDT
 Rumor has it that the U.S. Navy is going to be creating some new river combat units and I'm trying to find out some info. on them.  Supposedly two active duty units and two reserve units devided between the East & West coasts with the purpose of taking over river patrols and combat from the Army & Marines.  

I'm already in an Inshore Boat unit and we're actually deployed currently in Fujairah, U.A.E., but I'm looking for something a bit more exciting, like a unit that might actually see combat.

So if you know any info. on this or know of some links, please post them here.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm keeping an eye on it. So is a chief I know. He has contacts with the detailers. (I know someone in Millington that I need to get in touch with.)

Right now, from the training side there is still much work to be done to get the logistics in place. The traing will have to follow the mission statement, which I haven't seen yet. There also seems to be debate on which boats to use. Right now the leading candidate seems to be a SPECWAR boat, but as you might imagine, SPECWAR doesn't seem to like the idea.

I have a bunch of feelers out, but there seems to be little more on it than a rough concept at this stage.

If you want to drop me an IM with your .mil email, I'll get back with you. We can try to network to gleen some info about this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
IM sent.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly NCW is getting revamped completely. They are looking to make a pin available out of NCW like SW. Im in an East Coast MIUW and supposedly they are merging IBUs and MIUWs into a River patrol, harbor force protection force.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Supposedly NCW is getting revamped completely. They are looking to make a pin available out of NCW like SW. Im in an East Coast MIUW and supposedly they are merging IBUs and MIUWs into a River patrol, harbor force protection force.

I don't know about the NCW side.
What IBU was talking about is a whole new force. Instead of force protection it would be more active patrol. It will replace the USMCs riverine patrol company.
Where are they going to get the people? That's the question. Who is going to make up the core of the force? Will SPECWAR have to ante up? NCW? MSTs? Or are they going to draw from the fleet as a whole?
There are many questions with some tough answers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
"never get off the boat"
or was it
"stay on the boat"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top