User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 1:44:52 AM EDT
Tancredo gets back on track
But bomb comment undermines talk on immigration issue
By M.E. Sprengelmeyer, Rocky Mountain News
August 3, 2005
www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_3974198,00.html
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Rep. Tom Tancredo traveled several hundred miles, hoping to get back to his immigration message Tuesday.

But even in South Carolina, he couldn't escape the fallout from his recent comments about threatening Muslim holy sites.

South Carolina is the third early presidential primary state Tancredo has visited this year, as he toys with the idea of a 2008 race and tries to get other candidates to pick up his crusade against illegal immigration.

He touted his immigration views in media interviews and at an evening speech before a small but receptive audience of law enforcement officers at a Fraternal Order of Police event in suburban Hanahan, S.C.

But on a radio talk show, a caller also pressed Tancredo to explain his recent comments suggesting the United States could target Muslim holy sites like Mecca if radical Islamic terrorists set off nuclear attacks in U.S. cities.

Tancredo told the caller his words have been misinterpreted, but he didn't apologize, as some critics have demanded.

"It was a deterrent," Tancredo said. "I don't want to bomb anybody. I don't want to bomb Mecca. . . . I'm telling you, nothing should be taken off the table when you're trying to defend your own country."

After facing an international outcry over the past two weeks, Tancredo is ready to change the subject back to his pet issue: pressuring President Bush and the U.S. government to clamp down on the borders.

Tancredo has been visiting important presidential primary states in hopes of getting other would-be contenders to focus on the issue. If none of them do, he has said he might mount his own candidacy.

He said that when he entered Congress, "It was very difficult to get a lot of people focused on the problem. It was always somebody else's issue. Well, it is a big deal, and it's a big deal in every single state."

Tancredo said he worries that the recent Mecca controversy could detract from his immigration message.

"If that keeps coming up, it takes the air out of the room and you can't talk about the issue you came to talk about," he said.

Opponents of Tancredo's hard line on illegal immigration have joined critics of his Mecca comments in calling for the fourth-term congressman to resign. Tancredo has said that's not going to happen, and he has only gained a larger national and international profile during the latest barrage of headlines.

On the radio program, irreverent host "Rocky D" accused politicians of "Hispandering" to Hispanic voters by refusing to take a hard line on immigration or even use the word "alien" when describing illegal immigrants.

At one point, Tancredo pretended to be offended and joked that he might walk out of the studio in the name of political correctness.

Tancredo found a small but receptive audience of current and retired law enforcement officers at the evening Fraternal Order of Police speech in Hanahan.

Organizer R.E. "Reggie" Sharpe, a local deputy sheriff, said he invited the lodge's 600 members, plus officers and top officials from more than 20 Charleston-area law enforcement agencies. He expected hundreds of people, because local law enforcement is dealing with rising numbers of cases involving illegal immigrants.

Only 28 people showed up. Sharpe said others were scared away because the immigration issue has become so politicized and Tancredo has become so controversial.

"I could have had a birthday party and it could be four times as many people," Sharpe said. "People are afraid they'll lose their livelihoods if they speak."

Tancredo was undeterred.

"I've gone further and spoken to fewer" people, Tancredo told Sharpe. "This is too political for a lot of people."

Officers shared stories about arresting illegal immigrants for crimes, only to see them released without any immigration proceedings.

Tancredo said federal agencies have not been given enough budget resources to deport more than the most violent offenders. Meanwhile, he said President Bush has not shown the political will to get tough.

"We can try to do things in Congress, but if we don't have a president who will support it, forget about it," Tancredo said.

Later this year, President Bush is expected to push Congress to enact a so-called "guest worker" program that would allow certain illegal immigrants to remain in the country as long as they have willing employers.

Tancredo equates it to amnesty for people who have broken the law to enter the country.

"If you reward illegal behavior, what do you get?" Tancredo asked audience members. "Duh, as the kids would say. You get a lot more illegal behavior."

An audience member asked Tancredo if he had considered mounting a presidential candidacy as an independent.

"I've thought about it," he said. "I'm not against it. I just don't see any advantage to doing it."

For now, Tancredo said he is determined to work within the Republican Party. He asked audience members to press all would-be presidential contenders to take clear stands on immigration-related issues when they come calling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Political suicide among politicians maybe. But the average American very much agrees with doing something about the border. I think these guys should press on and give a damn less what their peers in Congress think. They aren't elected to serve each other's interest, rather the people's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have called Tancredo's office many times, even just yesterday to say thank you for what he is doing.  I would encourage anybody else who feels he is doing the right thing to call as well!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they are more worried about protests than support
it seems that hate is what wins elections these days
and the pc crowd can harness hate much better than conservatives.........
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't it sad?  Everybody sees the problem, but trying to fix it or even talk about it is political suicide.

That pretty much sums it up. +1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Isn't it sad?  Everybody sees the problem, but trying to fix it or even talk about it is political suicide.

Similar to this site, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It's just "gotcha" politics.  Did someone just fart...?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's just "gotcha" politics.  Did someone just fart...?

I think that is WHAT the problem is right now. We have to much politics as usual. They do there little dance around problems instead of solving the problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Tancredo's right on The Border and Terrorism

IMHO we should have overthrown the House of Saud before we went after Saddam
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tancredo's right on The Border and Terrorism

IMHO we should have overthrown the House of Saud before we went after Saddam

They didn't have as many mass graves, and their forces are probably better equipped\trained than saddam's were
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
He should run.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
He should run.

I recently heard him speak on a Radio Show
The host informed Rep.Tancredo that he's not very well liked by the White House for his stand on Immigration
The Host then asked Rep.Tancredo "Why would you take this position when it goes against the President's position and against some of his fellow Republicans ?"

Rep.Tancredo replied  " When I swore my Oath I didn't swear it to Pres.Bush or to the Republican Party, I serve the People "

I say Amen Mr.Tancredo, at least there's one man out there who's looking out for The People

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He should run.

I recently heard him speak on a Radio Show
The host informed Rep.Tancredo that he's not very well liked by the White House for his stand on Immigration
The Host then asked Rep.Tancredo "Why would you take this position when it goes against the President's position and against some of his fellow Republicans ?"

Rep.Tancredo replied  " When I swore my Oath I didn't swear it to Pres.Bush or to the Republican Party, I serve the People "

I say Amen Mr.Tancredo, at least there's one man out there who's looking out for The People

Colorado can be proud of him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top