Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 1:07:49 PM EDT
I have a line on a killer .gov job (I know oxymoron) the application requirements for which are outside of my degreed field.  I easily have the required experience, references and inside track, however you can't apply without having  1 of like 3 listed degrees.

Been doing some research and found "accredited" online degree programs where you submit a prospectus/portfolio and they review and assign credit and/or degree accordingly.

Any experiences ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
so it's a degree that they hand you based on your previous job experiences?

sounds like a load of crap to me, what's wrong with just stating your job experiences without the phoney lamb skin?

oh wait nevermind, it's a .gov job. that explains it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I am aware of some real universities which grant Some credit, around 30% for experiance.  I am not aware of one that will grant all.  That said, I knew a Dutch guy who bought a BS (Bullshit) online degree that he used to get hired by Delta Airlines.  He was a fairly good pilot so it wasn't a total scam.  

I think you need to find out more about what the "accredited" really means.  If it will be accepted by the H.R. people who make the hiring decisions for the particular job that you are interested in, then go for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A degree given based on life experience smacks of serious horseshit bro.  I would assume that its status is somewhere between a mail order and the "honorary degree" that every half-ass movie and basketball star has..........
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A degree given based on life experience smacks of serious horseshit bro.  I would assume that its status is somewhere between a mail order and the "honorary degree" that every half-ass movie and basketball star has..........

Don't be so hard on F$U
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Screw you! My degree from Hollywood Upstairs Medical School, Car Wash and Video Rental is just as good as any Harvard or MIT degree.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
In most professional fields, it's not only meaningless, but can be counter-productive. For instance, to be licensed as a Professional Engineer in most states, you will have had to have graduated from an Accrediation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)-accredited school. ABET accreditation is a very rigorous process under which engineering schools must undergo deep scrutiny on a regular basis. I have personal knowledge of engineering students who have had to re-take several classes because it was discovered that the "life experience" credit they were given by non-ABET-accredited schools was worthless.

Consider your career plans carefully before buying a bogus degree from a diploma mill.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Whats funny is the civil service posting doesnt even say ACCREDITED !!!!

It simply says applicants must have a Bachelors in Business Admisnistration, Finance or Accounting.

I have a degree in Urban Planning but have owned a small business for 20+ years.  The .gov job is helping small businesses through SBA and other programs. Programs of which I have managed/gone through the entire laborious process for my personal business 8 times on my own. (and internal references to this effect to boot).

Good Lord who better to aid other biz owners then a BTDT

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Screw you! My degree from Hollywood Upstairs Medical School, Car Wash and Video Rental is just as good as any Harvard or MIT degree.

Oh, Hollywood UPstairs ... well that's different!They've got the best team name EVER! The Hollywood Upstairs Medical School, Car Wash and Video Rental Fighting Hollywood Upstairs Medical School, Car Wash and Video Rentalians! Go Team!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You may be screwed before you start.

sounds like you have a personality,  which is definately missing from any person I have ever met who has a degree in either finance or accounting.  

Florida Confederate wrote application states It simply says applicants must have a............Bachelors in Business Admisnistration, Finance or Accounting

I just recently retired but am too young to hang it up.  I will be going the govjobs route as soon as I get some things in order.

good luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be so hard on F$U

Of course, UF isn't much better... I don't know who's balls you have to lick there, now that Spurer is gone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've gained credits in college for real life experiences...  (alot of credits)

saved me almost 1/2 a year in total.

thats some money.

-Jason
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to school and suffer through it like the rest of us did.  There's your "life experience" degree.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be so hard on F$U

Of course, UF isn't much better... I don't know who's balls you have to lick there, now that Spurer is gone.

where's you go to school, Harvard?

UF is several orders of magnitude better than FSU
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
every year our college sends out e-mails to all of the faculty/students saying they can give out x number of honorary Ph.D.'s and ask if we know of anyone who deserves one.

i always respond describing how important i am, but never hear back from them.

i figure it's my GPA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top