Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:52:24 AM EDT
I just got this email from a female friend of ours. This was in a nice neighborhood near downtown Austin. She and her husband don't own any guns. The funny thing is we had dinner with them a few months ago and I tried to convince the husband that he needed to get a gun for home protection. I'll bet he's at the gun shop today picking one out.

Email:

Guess what happened at our house last night?  The scariest thing…

Someone rang our doorbell and was trying to get into our house at 1:30am this morning.  I went to the door and they were shaking the door and when I looked out they were crouched down so I couldn’t see anything.  MJ was on the phone with 911.  It took the cops 4 minutes to get there.  The guy resisted arrest and hit the cop…they had to mace him and body slam him in our front yard.  The police finally came to our front door and asked if we knew him.  We didn’t so they said they thought he had just had too much to drink and was confused (btw…I held it together until this point and am now sobbing).  The weird thing was that he wasn’t wearing any shoes.  They said they were taking him in for public intoxication (I was pissed that that was all).  They put him in the back of the police car and next thing we knew he had kicked out the window of the police car with his bare feet.  He was obviously on serious drugs.  An ambulance had to come b/c he was going crazy.  There were 4 police cars and an ambulance in front of our house for an hour and a half.  It was so scary…in the middle of the night everything is scarier and your imagination goes crazy.  I was up all night and am having the locksmith come out in the morning and install a deadbolt and whatever else sounds safe.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
They didnt have a deadbolt?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#2]

I was up all night and am having the locksmith come out in the morning and install a deadbolt and whatever else sounds safe.

So they're gonna get a flaming moat?

/glad noone was hurt
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
They have to call a locksmith to install a fucking deadbolt? Can't anyone do anything themselves these days? I mean, I'm glad they're finally seeing the light, but c'mon ... it takes MAYBE 15 minutes to put in a deadbolt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#4]
cant the homeowner press charges on attempted forced entry?  trespassing?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#5]
They have a gun yet?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They have to call a locksmith to install a fucking deadbolt? Can't anyone do anything themselves these days? I mean, I'm glad they're finally seeing the light, but c'mon ... it takes MAYBE 15 minutes to put in a deadbolt.

if there is no hole in the door, and you dont have the necessary drill bits, it is best left to a professional
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
"4 minutes to arrive" what more reason do you need...................................................
Protect yourself damnit. Not that 4 minutes is a long time but you could very well be dead in 4 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if there is no hole in the door, and you dont have the necessary drill bits, it is best left to a professional

Fucking nonsense. Hardware stores even sell a KIT. And the locksets come with PAPER TEMPLATES.
It's a sad f'n day when a human being with opposable thumbs can't or WON'T install a f'n doorlock or needs a "professional".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking nonsense. Hardware stores even sell a KIT. And the locksets come with PAPER TEMPLATES.
It's a sad f'n day when a human being with opposable thumbs can't or WON'T install a f'n doorlock or needs a "professional".

i dont mind, more money for us mechanically inclined folks
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#10]
So why didn't they own a guns?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because "those things <shudder> are dangerous'" no doubt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Probably because they, unlike deadbolts, don't sound safe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, a deadbolt. That'll protect 'em.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No kidding... even I did that and I am UN-Handman x10. Sheesh.

Sounds like that dude was flipping crazy and then some. Good thing he didn't get into the house... sounds like he was amped up on some good shit... might have ripped the husband's arms off and beat the wife with them while looking for a bar of soap to eat.

Wonder how much of a hangover that dude has right now.

Just think... if this sort of thing happened to a good portion of the people on here they'd have probably blasted the guy. Or they'd be dead because they couldn't get their tactical rigs and ninja booties on before the guy busted down the door and beat them into oblivion.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I guess the old saying goes, every one's a liberal until they get mugged or find common sense and decency.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you dont' have the hole saw and spade bit, you can buy a lock install kit that includes both plus some templates for around $10.

It was about the easiest household project I ever did.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Someone rang our doorbell and was trying to get into our house at 1:30am this morning.  I went to the door and they were shaking the door and when I looked out they were crouched down so I couldn’t see anything.  

Drunks do that all the time.

MJ was on the phone with 911.  It took the cops 4 minutes to get there.

Pretty good response time for that type of call.

The guy resisted arrest and hit the cop…they had to mace him and body slam him in our front yard.  The police finally came to our front door and asked if we knew him.  We didn’t so they said they thought he had just had too much to drink and was confused...

Happens all the time.

(btw…I held it together until this point and am now sobbing).  The weird thing was that he wasn’t wearing any shoes.  They said they were taking him in for public intoxication (I was pissed that that was all).

Sounds like the right charge based on the descriotion of the incident.  In my state you could go attempt aggrivaterd tresspass, but would be unlikely to get a conviction if he was intoxicated.

They put him in the back of the police car and next thing we knew he had kicked out the window of the police car with his bare feet.

Add Vandalism to the charges...  

He was obviously on serious drugs.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug!

An ambulance had to come b/c he was going crazy.  There were 4 police cars and an ambulance in front of our house for an hour and a half.  It was so scary…in the middle of the night everything is scarier and your imagination goes crazy.  I was up all night and am having the locksmith come out in the morning and install a deadbolt and whatever else sounds safe.

When i lived in an apartment complex near Camp Pendelton the same thing would happen at least once a month.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Good enough reason to get a gun. I hope they buy one soon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding... even I did that and I am UN-Handman x10. Sheesh.

Sounds like that dude was flipping crazy and then some. Good thing he didn't get into the house... sounds like he was amped up on some good shit... might have ripped the husband's arms off and beat the wife with them while looking for a bar of soap to eat.

Wonder how much of a hangover that dude has right now.

Just think... if this sort of thing happened to a good portion of the people on here they'd have probably blasted the guy. Or they'd be dead because they couldn't get their tactical rigs and ninja booties on before the guy busted down the door and beat them into oblivion.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!   LOLLLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I  MJ was on the phone with 911.

Better to call 1911 than 911!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You have to own some tools- and know how to take them out of the toolbox.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just got this email from a female friend of ours. This was in a nice neighborhood near downtown Austin. She and her husband don't own any guns. The funny thing is we had dinner with them a few months ago and I tried to convince the husband that he needed to get a gun for home protection. I'll bet he's at the gun shop today picking one out.

Email:

Someone rang our doorbell and was trying to get into our house at 1:30am this morning.  I went to the door and they were shaking the door and when I looked out they were crouched down so I couldn’t see anything.  MJ was on the phone with 911.  It took the cops 4 minutes to get there.  The guy resisted arrest and hit the cop…they had to mace him and body slam him in our front yard.  The police finally came to our front door and asked if we knew him.  We didn’t so they said they thought he had just had too much to drink and was confused (btw…I held it together until this point and am now sobbing).  The weird thing was that he wasn’t wearing any shoes.  They said they were taking him in for public intoxication (I was pissed that that was all).  They put him in the back of the police car and next thing we knew he had kicked out the window of the police car with his bare feet.  He was obviously on serious drugs.  An ambulance had to come b/c he was going crazy.  There were 4 police cars and an ambulance in front of our house for an hour and a half.  It was so scary…in the middle of the night everything is scarier and your imagination goes crazy.  I was up all night and am having the locksmith come out in the morning and install a deadbolt and whatever else sounds safe.  

I'm never more than 15 seconds away from a loaded gun.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Wonder if they could hold their breath for 4 minutes if the crackhead was choking them?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because "those things <shudder> are dangerous'" no doubt.

Yes guns are dangerous, but they do what they're told and follow rules, unlike the bare-foot lawn monkey in the article.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I  MJ was on the phone with 911.

Better to call 1911 than 911! re2.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1450473626

ha ha. That's very clever. Do you write for a bumper sticker company?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing like that kind of wake up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Liberals don't own guns and don't know how to install deadbolts.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#28]
   Anytime I have to do work for someone thats been robbed or burgularized, and they ask me what they can do. The first thing I tell them is that if they dont have one, to get a gun and learn to use it. Most people don't realize how many houses are broken in to. And a lot of them are while the people are at home. Someone just comes up and kicks in the door while the homeowner is watchin tv. I also have to change locks and make keys for cars, because of people getting "robbed" coming out of the grocery store, etc.

Installing a deadbolt it pretty simple, but if you dont have the mechanical ability, it is best to not attempt it. I get people all the time that have tried doing it, and end up having to drill multiple holes, drilling through the side of the door, or just not puttin the hole in the right place to where the lock will work easily. Just like unlocking cars. You have your do it yourselfer's that "can get into anything", and they're always willing to help anyone out. But if they do manage to get in the car, they have usually, punctured weatherstripping, bent the door, broke the window, disconnected linkages, etc. And this is after they've spent 4 hours working on it. Instead of just paying the 30 bucks to have someone come out and do it that knows what they're doing, and it taking about 30 seconds with no damage to the car.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Situations like that are best handled with an extended magazine of 00 buckshot. The moment he breached the door he would become the headless home invader.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Email:

I live in downtown Austin for about 9 months out of the year.  Would you be comfortable mentioning near what intersection?  I have a condo near the new Whole-Foods building at 6th and Lamar.

ETA- Austin cops don’t play around.  Unfortunately they are often real asses (keep in mind this is from the perspective of an undergraduate), but they definitely get the job done.  They can also be very politically incorrect.  A few months ago when an establishment popular with African Americans burned down, Midtown Live, Austin Police were scene messaging one another with phrases such as “burn baby burn” and “smells like victory all the way from I35.”  A passerby asked one officer if Midtown Live was, in fact, on fire.  He said, “she was upset, I was ecstatic.”  Later a liberal city council member suggested that the city pay to have the club, a source of drugs and violence, to be rebuilt.  SO far that hasn’t happened.  Apparently the club was only insured for a fraction of what it would cost to be rebuilt.  My opinion is that the taxpayers should pay for the incompetence of the club’s owners.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Somehow, I can't muster up any compassion for your "traumatized" liberal friend and her pussy of a husband, who sit and quiver in fear hoping the police would show up in time to save them.

If that happens in my home, I rush to my girl's bedroom, shove her and my wife in the designated hiding spot, and go armed to the teeth to fuck with whomver is trying to come in.  One inch inside my house and they die.  Simple as that.

A man's prime directive is to fight off attacks on his family.  If he won't do that (buying another lock doesn't count), then he is not a man IMO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Email:

So the wolf shows up and "huffs-n-puffs"........................... scaring the sheep.

The sheep then complain about what the sheep dogs do with the wolf............

Then another sheep pipes up that he would've been an armed sheep.............

Drunk guy, "shaking" door, once you get that gun what are you going to do with it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like an excellent time to educate him in his responsibilities to protect his family and the most effective way to do that. He went downstairs to check out an alarming door lock - what was he planning to do when he found what was at the door? It's stupid to go looking for something without planning on what you're going to do if you find it.

BTW, who sent that e-mail, the husband or the wife?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Sounds like an excellent time to educate him in his responsibilities to protect his family and the most effective way to do that. He went downstairs to check out an alarming door lock - what was he planning to do when he found what was at the door? It's stupid to go looking for something without planning on what you're going to do if you find it.

BTW, who sent that e-mail, the husband or the wife?

Let's hope it's not the husband...... (see red text)

Email:

Guess what happened at our house last night? The scariest thing…

Someone rang our doorbell and was trying to get into our house at 1:30am this morning. I went to the door and they were shaking the door and when I looked out they were crouched down so I couldn’t see anything. MJ was on the phone with 911. It took the cops 4 minutes to get there. The guy resisted arrest and hit the cop…they had to mace him and body slam him in our front yard. The police finally came to our front door and asked if we knew him. We didn’t so they said they thought he had just had too much to drink and was confused (btw…I held it together until this point and am now sobbing). The weird thing was that he wasn’t wearing any shoes. They said they were taking him in for public intoxication (I was pissed that that was all). They put him in the back of the police car and next thing we knew he had kicked out the window of the police car with his bare feet. He was obviously on serious drugs. An ambulance had to come b/c he was going crazy. There were 4 police cars and an ambulance in front of our house for an hour and a half. It was so scary…in the middle of the night everything is scarier and your imagination goes crazy. I was up all night and am having the locksmith come out in the morning and install a deadbolt and whatever else sounds safe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Email:

So the wolf shows up and "huffs-n-puffs"........................... scaring the sheep.

Drunk guy, "shaking" door, once you get that gun what are you going to do with it?

I think you misunderstand me.  I'm not criticizing the cops.  4 minutes is, without qualifications, an excellent response time.  My point is that even when everything goes right, the cops will never show up faster than you can pull a gun.  To answer your question, once I get the gun, I'm then going to brace the door with my body while I call the cops, and then let them handle it.  The gun would obviously be a last ditch attempt at self defense if all other options are exhausted.  Judging by that guy's reaction to the cops, in such a situation I may have needed it.  

And I'm no sheep.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think you misunderstand me.  I'm not criticizing the cops.  4 minutes is, without qualifications, an excellent response time.  My point is that even when everything goes right, the cops will never show up faster than you can pull a gun.  To answer your question, once I get the gun, I'm then going to brace the door with my body while I call the cops, and then let them handle it.  The gun would obviously be a last ditch attempt at self defense if all other options are exhausted.  Judging by that guy's reaction to the cops, in such a situation I may have needed it.  

And I'm no sheep.  

No, I misunderstood what your plan was after getting the gun..............

That guy was probably so drunk he couldn't figure out the mysteries of  "door"..................  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#37]
The hardest part of putting a deadbolt or plain lockset in is getting the inletting in the edge of the door done right.  I always figure it's just as easy to use the chisels rather than dragging the router out for one little cut, cuz you generally need the chisels to square the corners anyway.

The holes are generally not a problem if you can tape the template up correctly.

Course you gotta have a drill and know where the chuck key is too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I am a Commercial Carpenter and get lots of money from those 15 minute deadbolt sidejobs. Let them be helpless, it pays for my gun habit.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#39]
About 15 years ago, I contemplated moving to Austin. Good thing, the liberals screwed that place up right smack dab in God's country. But look where I stayed...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Email:

And I'm no sheep.  

Thank God I live in Florida. He breaches the door, and he's fair game.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Thank God I live in Florida. He breaches the door, and he's fair game.

Actually, same law in Texas.  As soon as he violates the plane of my dwelling I can shoot him.  I just don't want to open that can of worms unless absolutely necessary.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm no sheep.  

That guy was probably so drunk he couldn't figure out the mysteries of  "door"..................  

Uhh... If he breaks in, shoot him?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm no sheep.  

So what your saying is a drunk guy will make you fear for your life?

There's a coupla words that describe that  starts with "W" or "P" and ends with "ussy".

It's amazing when all the internet heroes judge what the police should have down, it's like describing the Mall Ninja Shuffle from the Food Court to the Marshall Fields.............. Yet a guy that is too drunk, or wasted to recognize his own house is a deadly threat when the door is beating him up.........................

I wanna be a chairborne ranger, living the life of chairborne danger............................
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm no sheep.  

So what your saying is a drunk guy will make you fear for your life?

There's a coupla words that describe that  starts with "W" or "P" and ends with "ussy".

It's amazing when all the internet heroes judge what the police should have down, it's like describing the Mall Ninja Shuffle from the Food Court to the Marshall Fields.............. Yet a guy that is too drunk, or wasted to recognize his own house is a deadly threat when the door is beating him up.........................

I wanna be a chairborne ranger, living the life of chairborne danger............................

"It was half dark, and I thought I saw a weapon, officer"

Who's going to contradict you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

"It was half dark, and I thought I saw a weapon, officer"

Who's going to contradict you?

So scared of the drunk, and a liar. Wow, way to one up that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow, on a site that makes up all types of rules about how the police should take extreme measures, and risks to avoid using force....................... all of  a sudden the drunk at the door represents a mortal threat........................

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top