Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:55:17 PM EDT
Got a real fucked up situation here and I am torn.  

A little preface.  Fifteen years ago I picked out of a litter of field dogs a Springer Spaniel female, she was at the time 3 weeks old and I had to wait another month to bring her home.  I already had one  male and they were gonna be my bird dog team.  Well the male was never much of a hunter, he'd rather chase field mice and play then chase pheasants, although he was my best buddy.  But the female became one fine bird dog and I have shot many, many ringnecks over her as well as family and friends.  Well, I moved out of home ebentually and into an apt w/ my brother.  She came with us but we moved again and couldnt take her with me.  She was about 8 at the time.  So my sister had just bought a house so the answer was obvious.  I hunted her until she was about 10 and she could only last about half a day before getting tired.  Still got a bunch of birds up though.  Then she became a regular old house dog.. Spoiled rotten and lost her obedient nature as sis spoiled her.  But in all the time she would see me and obey me like she was 3 years old again, I guess the theory a dog bonds with one alpha male is true because even now at 15 she knows me.  

So here I am house/dog-sitting while my sister is in the Virgin Islands for a week and I am looking after MY dog.  Shes old and weak, half blind, senile and arthritic.  Past the life expectancy for her breed(the male died of cancer when he was only 6) and she cannot even stand up on her own.  She has control of her bowells but she is basicall cripple.  She can walk around after she gets helped up but is very weak and as of this week we dont think she will make it the next few days.  I promised my sis that if it got so bad I would take her to the vet and have her put down but she begged for me to do everything possible so she could be here.  This dog is a family member to all of us.  I sit here and remember all the time we hunted and played, how she and the male would take off and jump into the neighbors pool, how she used to chase skunks even after getting sprayed a million times, how she would catch baby rabbits, hold them in her mouth and bring them to me as a present waiting for praise.  Honestly I didnt think that i would be so torn over this as I am.

I dont think I can let her suffer any longer.  Sis will be home Saturday but I know she is in pain.  This fucking SUX!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell sis that the dog passed away quietly in its sleep while she was away.  You take care of the dirty work yourself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
put it out of its misery.  Don't let it drag on and let a family member be miserable.  It will be hard to do but in the end it will be best for the dog.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tell sis that the dog passed away quietly in its sleep while she was away.  You take care of the dirty work yourself.

I like his idea
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
It sucks sometimes, but there comes a time to put the dog down.  If you think that you will feel guilty about it for a long time, just let the thing die a natural death.  It sounds like it only has a couple of months at most anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny thing shes up walking around now...  

What's even more, last week she actually tried to chase a bird in the yard, although she fell when she got going.  

Man I am weak.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait until your sister comes home.  She has cared for, and loves the dog too.  If the situation was reversed, wouldn't you want to be there to say goodbye?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Those most difficult thing I ever did was put a dog down.  I cannot recommend it to anyone.  Having said that, sometimes it must be done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
veterinarian checking in...

call your sister and tell her how bad the dog is and that putting her thru anymore is not in the best interest of your dog.

then call your vet and have her euthanized - let her die with some dignity and assist her crossing to the other side.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to make myself clear on this topic.  I'm not talking about leading Old Yeller out behind the barn and shooting him.  I mean by saying take care of the dirty work to take the dog to a vet and be with it while it goes to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude, I know it's hard...putting our dog down was one of the worst things I've ever done in my life and I hope that I never have to do it again.  But I would rather suffer the pain of losing her than have my hound suffer.

Put her down and see if there are any cremation services in your area for pets.  They will have her back by the time your sister gets home and then the whole family can say their goodbyes and you can all have a little ceremony.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Please treat the dog like anyone else in your family and take her to the vet to get some medication that will make her comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wait until your sister comes home.  She has cared for, and loves the dog too.  If the situation was reversed, wouldn't you want to be there to say goodbye?

That's a good point.

Quoted:
Those most difficult thing I ever did was put a dog down.  I cannot recommend it to anyone.  Having said that, sometimes it must be done.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Many american Indians hunted out of respect for the animals and tried if not did use every piece of thier kill.  Putting any creature down should be out of respect and love.  If you find it enjoyable or thrilling you might need mental help.  It is a painfull thing to put an animal down, but doing it for the right reasons with love and compassion is acceptable in my opinion.  For any nurses that have worked in burn wards or other terminal wards I think you know what I'm talking about, some patients are in such bad shape that they will beg you to terminate thier lives.  I have never done such a thing but the experience of having people ask is haunting.  I only say this because if your dog could speek it might be wanting to pass on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
veterinarian checking in...

call your sister and tell her how bad the dog is and that putting her thru anymore is not in the best interest of your dog.

then call your vet and have her euthanized - let her die with some dignity and assist her crossing to the other side.

+1 Give your sister the oprotunity to be part of this time even if she's away.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If your old friend is in pain you must do what is very difficult to do.  If she is in OK shape, I say go buy a couple pheasant, clip thier wings and let your dog have a little fun.  You must however take your dog and have her put down if she is in pain.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Got a real fucked up situation here and I am torn.  

A little preface.  Fifteen years ago I picked out of a litter of field dogs a Springer Spaniel female, she was at the time 3 weeks old and I had to wait another month to bring her home.  I already had one  male and they were gonna be my bird dog team.  Well the male was never much of a hunter, he'd rather chase field mice and play then chase pheasants, although he was my best buddy.  But the female became one fine bird dog and I have shot many, many ringnecks over her as well as family and friends.  Well, I moved out of home ebentually and into an apt w/ my brother.  She came with us but we moved again and couldnt take her with me.  She was about 8 at the time.  So my sister had just bought a house so the answer was obvious.  I hunted her until she was about 10 and she could only last about half a day before getting tired.  Still got a bunch of birds up though.  Then she became a regular old house dog.. Spoiled rotten and lost her obedient nature as sis spoiled her.  But in all the time she would see me and obey me like she was 3 years old again, I guess the theory a dog bonds with one alpha male is true because even now at 15 she knows me.  

So here I am house/dog-sitting while my sister is in the Virgin Islands for a week and I am looking after MY dog.  Shes old and weak, half blind, senile and arthritic.  Past the life expectancy for her breed(the male died of cancer when he was only 6) and she cannot even stand up on her own.  She has control of her bowells but she is basicall cripple.  She can walk around after she gets helped up but is very weak and as of this week we dont think she will make it the next few days.  I promised my sis that if it got so bad I would take her to the vet and have her put down but she begged for me to do everything possible so she could be here.  This dog is a family member to all of us.  I sit here and remember all the time we hunted and played, how she and the male would take off and jump into the neighbors pool, how she used to chase skunks even after getting sprayed a million times, how she would catch baby rabbits, hold them in her mouth and bring them to me as a present waiting for praise.  Honestly I didnt think that i would be so torn over this as I am.

I dont think I can let her suffer any longer.  Sis will be home Saturday but I know she is in pain.  This fucking SUX!

I know how you feel, but I wouldn't put her down. I'd make her as comfortable as possible (half a baby aspirin is good for arthritis) until your sister gets back. Should give your sister time to adjust to the idea of the dog no longer being around before you do it, but then again, you know your sister best.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You are a pet owner, you have the responsibility to do what you know you should. I've been there with a dog we had for 15 yrs too, a boxer named Ginger. Dragged it on and on. I finally did it when she no longer could control her functions. She knew tho that she should not be doing that and was ashamed every time she did it. I will NEVER EVER again drag it on past the time one needs to go to "sleep". And it is a member of the family, it sucks to do but it sucks worse for your dog to be living in pain. I'm sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top