Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2005 8:07:18 PM EDT

www.exitmundi.nl/nukes.htm

I never thought about it getting 20 below after a nuke war..   I'd better get some heavy winter clothing
for my long term shtf gear..    
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
did you learn nothing during the cold war?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You've never heard of nuclear winter before?

Post-Nuke is a fairly good post-nuclear apocalypse "graphic novel" (read: comic book). The only problems I have with it are the awkward dialogue in the early parts (improved along with the art for the book) and the fact that all that facial hair and bandaging would render his gas mask pretty darn useless. I think he uses it as a face warmer more than anything else.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What about NUKULAR WINTAR don't you understand?
Yes I realize I misspelled that
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Nuclear Winter. Aw, shit.....when it gets too tough fer everybody else...it gets just about right fer me!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
As a child of cold war. It was apparent that if we did have nuculear war. You were better off being vaporized. Unless of course you had a REAL fallout shelter in the middle of no where. The bad thing about living in the middle of now where, is the Titan II's were located there also. So you were pretty much screwed all the way around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
See, this is why I'm saving up $300k. $250k goes towards the nuclear missile silo that's been remodeled as a luxury home. It can survive a direct hit from a 50-megaton nuke, is pretty darn close to impregnable when it comes to burglars, looters, and raiders, I can survive in an insulated environment with its own generator, battery bank, and well for years if I stock up enough food, water (don't want to rely solely on the well), etc., and it comes with a ton of luxuries.

While you poor, half-starved bastards are wading through the snow, getting shot at by bandits, and going crazy wondering how many rads you've soaked up this week, I'll be in the jacuzzi watching Red Dawn on the big screen and eating pizza.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Being the optimist that I am I think I could survive it.  I have a bug out bag that has bandaids and tequila and thats all you need to survive anything.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
::yawn::
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Being the optimist that I am I think I could survive it.  I have a bug out bag that has bandaids and tequila and thats all you need to survive anything.

condoms, cant forget the condoms
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You forgot duct tape. Now you're doomed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]

See, this is why I'm saving up $300k. $250k goes towards the nuclear missile silo that's been remodeled as a luxury home. It can survive a direct hit from a 50-megaton nuke, is pretty darn close to impregnable when it comes to burglars, looters, and raiders, I can survive in an insulated environment with its own generator, battery bank, and well for years if I stock up enough food, water (don't want to rely solely on the well), etc., and it comes with a ton of luxuries.

While you poor, half-starved bastards are wading through the snow, getting shot at by bandits, and going crazy wondering how many rads you've soaked up this week, I'll be in the jacuzzi watching Red Dawn on the big screen and eating pizza.

Youve got room for two?  Come help a fellow Texan out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There you have it folks....

Proof that "you cant hug with nuclear arms."

PS> I work around the real thing everyday, if it happens...it happens
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

link?

it's been pretty well modeled and documented.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
See, this is why I'm saving up $300k. $250k goes towards the nuclear missile silo that's been remodeled as a luxury home. It can survive a direct hit from a 50-megaton nuke,....

Been tested?

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

link?

Yep.  Look at Cherynobal <SP?>  That was just one reactor...not even a bomb!  Still no one goes there and the one guy who documented the whole event, yea he's dead
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]

It can survive a direct hit from a 50-megaton nuke

Ummm, no it can't. The crater would be deeper than the silo WAS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Post-Nuke is a fairly good post-nuclear apocalypse "graphic novel" (read: comic book). The only problems I have with it are the awkward dialogue in the early parts (improved along with the art for the book) and the fact that all that facial hair and bandaging would render his gas mask pretty darn useless. I think he uses it as a face warmer more than anything else.

not too bad, although the dialogue is s bit rough
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not if I buy it first!  AhHa!  What are you gonna do with that!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I belive what you meant was "near strike"
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The nuclear blast instantly vaporizes 13' of soil and rock on the surface.  The water in the soil then explodes.  

Oh, and btw, the bedrock beneath a hit is usually cracked.  If it is a direct hit.  You are screwed.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Pff, i'm not scared I have a school desk.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Nuclear fallout scenario? That is so pre-Reagan.

There is no way to survive a direct balst, no matter what. Fallout shelters are for the affect of indirect impact. And even then you're lucky if it can stand up to that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, the Nuclear winter scenario was real popular, with liberal anti-war types, about twenty something years ago, during the "Nuclear Freeze" movement.  It's fallacy is, that, it assumes both sides, would be willing to commit nuclear suicide, by using universal ground level detonation.

Most of the liberal based nuclear scare groups, of the late 70' and early 80's, used to put out contrived fallout maps, that showed nuclear targets in the United States, which then morphed into highly imaginative fallout maps, that blotted out 90% of the country under a radioactive cloud. These were also products, of the fallacy, of the universal ground level detonation myth.

One thing DU should have taught us all by now, is that liberals will lie, fudge statistics, and trot out their pet scientists, in order to make, whatever wild ass claim, is their cause celeb of the day, seem more plausible.

The other overiding truth of the day being....Liberals, almost always, don't have the faintest inkling, of how nuclear weapons work, or how they would be employed, other than what they learned from Jeff Goldblum, in movies like "Independence Day", where the Liberal minded Enviro-hero, rails against the crazy government for even considering using a single nuke, in order to stop human extinction, at the hands of an alien invasion.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

link?

Yep.  Look at Cherynobal <SP?>  That was just one reactor...not even a bomb!  Still no one goes there and the one guy who documented the whole event, yea he's dead

Isn't a reactor meltdown a lot different type of reaction than a nuclear bomb or missile?  Kinda like a "dirty bomb" would be.  Sure it spread radiation and clouds of poo all over the f'ing place, but it didn't go bang.  

That said, I am with swindle.  Sounds better than that debris hut I have planned.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]
100KT Nuke Crater

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Nuclear winter is a fallacy.. Most of the explosions would be air bursts anyway.

link
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Youve got room for two?  Come help a fellow Texan out.

I've got plenty of room if you feel like paying rent. How much do you have on you, we'll make it a group buy.

Quoted:

Yeah, I goofed. I meant 50-kiloton. And as has been stated, it's probably near-strike rather than direct hit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Pff, i'm not scared I have a school desk.

man that was great...

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Considering how many atmospheric tests of nukes were made in such a short time, I think it would take quite a few nukes indeed to do the kind of permanent damage to the planet that liberals claim.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yeah, the Nuclear winter scenario was real popular, with liberal anti-war types, about twenty something years ago, during the "Nuclear Freeze" movement.  It's fallacy is, that, it assumes both sides, would be willing to commit nuclear suicide, by using universal ground level detonation.

Most of the liberal based nuclear scare groups, of the late 70' and early 80's, used to put out contrived fallout maps, that showed nuclear targets in the United States, which then morphed into highly imaginative fallout maps, that blotted out 90% of the country under a radioactive cloud. These were also products, of the fallacy, of the universal ground level detonation myth.

One thing DU should have taught us all by now, is that liberals will lie, fudge statistics, and trot out their pet scientists, in order to make, whatever wild ass claim, is their cause celeb of the day, seem more plausible.

The other overiding truth of the day being....Liberals, almost always, don't have the faintest inkling, of how nuclear weapons work, or how they would be employed, other than what they learned from Jeff Goldblum, in movies like "Independence Day", where the Liberal minded Enviro-hero, rails against the crazy government for even considering using a single nuke, in order to stop human extinction, at the hands of an alien invasion.

+1.

thanks for spreading some common sense around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Considering how many atmospheric tests of nukes were made in such a short time, I think it would take quite a few nukes indeed to do the kind of permanent damage to the planet that liberals claim.

I dont want to find out how many licks it would take to get to the center of this tootsie pop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't buy the nuclear winter story. Volcanoes are hundreds of times larger than the biggest nukes and they have only small effects on the climate. I see the guy is standing next to a nuke impact and plants are growing....
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The Wall Steet Journal ran a very credible series tracing the MAD and nuclear winter scenarios to Soviet influence upon the libs.  As a result of this misinformation, the U.S. populace always felt that nuclear war was unsurvivable, while the Soviets had an excellent civil defense system in place and knew how survivable a limited exchange would be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#38]
-20? That's it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry for the hijack, does anyone have a guess on what percentage of those (how many missiles on both sides?)  Fail, launch but wipe out the local Pizza Hut, Borsh Porch, etc.?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Heck i'd just "duck and cover" as long as I was facing away I would be OK. At least the PC crap would disappear immediately.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#42]
my foil hat will keep me warm and reflect any rads   ,,,so ill be good to go
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#43]
The living would envy the dead!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
-20? That's it?

I dont mean to come off as indignant, but -20F isnt exactly the end of the world...its cold, but its easily survivable with the right preparation. I would be much more concerned about radiation that temperature.

I dont worry much these days about a nuclear war fought between superpowers....got that out of my system during the cold war. I think a dirty-bomb scenario is more likely, and significantly less threatening.

No one here is immortal....some are tougher than others, some are trained better than others, some are better equipt....but when our time comes, there is no escape. I dont obsess about how to survive a direct nuclear strike....when my time is up in this life, there wont be a thing I can do about it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I asked one of my Engineering Professors about this.  He worked for JPL and the DOD from 64 through the 80s.  He says that the desert soil that was tested on was too dry to create fallout or send large particles to the stratosphere.   The water in the fisrt 13'(<-his number) is heated so much, that it explodes.  The radioacive dust, in combonation with this water, is what gives the nuclear winter effect.  

Also, this is assuming that there is hundreds of nukes shot off in cities within a period of a few hours, not 2-3 per shots per night in the desert.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Alot of the nuclear winter alarmism was a disinformation campaign put out by the KGB to encourage fear and defeatism in the West and prevent the Reagan arms build up.  Picked up and spread dutifully by their useful idiots like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Bill Moyers, Dan Rather, Carl Sagan et. al.

Remember how the Pershing II missles in Germany were going to cause a thermonuclear apocalypse?

What ever happens, I will try mightily to survive.  An opportunity to live in a world without liberals is worth some hardship, and you KNOW that THEY aren't going to make it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Winter is my favorite time of the year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
-20? That's it?

Its pretty much -20 in Russia, all the time.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You watched 'Blast From the Past' recently, didn't you?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#50]
When you find a nuke silo for $250 let me know.

Most of the ones I have seen are $700,000 to 1 million.

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if I buy it first!  AhHa!  What are you gonna do with that!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top