Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2005 5:30:28 PM EDT
Just how long will a Zombie live on it's own? 10-14 days?

It seems to me zombies are attracted to noise.
Should you use a suppressor to engage zombies so the don't get a fix on your location?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Time there able to keep going is unknown...... They move my sound and the "sense" of people.... Guess, thats the best way to put it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
using a can cant hurt.

ETA: sub-sonic ammo would be a good choice too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
the zombies live until the movie ends.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what is your basis for Zombies.
Shaun of the Dead (hillarious if you know Romero films)- UNK
Resident Evil- UNK
Romero Films- UNK
28 Days Later (technically not zombies, they were just pissed off)- 70 days?

I would expect that they would live for as long as it took for them to decay and fall apart, or as long as it takes for you to get a head shot.

Anyway, how many zombie movies has there been lately?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Since a zombie does not need anything to survive (they eat out of instinct only), they can will remain a threat until decomposition impedes their mobility. Even then, great care must be exercised if the zombie in question still has full use of one or both hands and it's mouth.

They are attracted to noise and recent studies indicate they may also be attracted to the smell of the living. Test subjects have rubbed pieces of corpse flesh on themselves and they were essentially ignored by the zombies. Be aware that perspiration and precipitation can dilute the "death scent".

Should you use a suppressor to engage zombies so the don't get a fix on your location?
Unless you can get close enough to put ear plugs on them, the use of a suppressor can extend your life span greatly.

It should also be noted that zombies' attraction to sound can be used to a tactical advantage. Small, battery powered radios can be used a diversion if you find yourself being surrounded or otherwise need to redirect their carnivorous attentions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Depends on what is your basis for Zombies.
Shaun of the Dead (hillarious if you know Romero films)- UNK
Resident Evil- UNK
Romero Films- UNK
28 Days Later (technically not zombies, they were just pissed off)- 70 days?

I would expect that they would live for as long as it took for them to decay and fall apart, or as long as it takes for you to get a head shot.

Anyway, how many zombie movies has there been lately?

Don't know but I've seen several this weekend.

Shaun of the Dead cracked me up. Saw it last night.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Figure how long does a corpse take to decay before it can not function by brain impulses. Kind of like the living only alot faster.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Zombies last a long time.  The virus that has infected them, Solarum, is toxic to living organisms, including bacteria.  This impedes the natural decomposition process, like it was continually being doused with Lysol.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, jeeze...

Look, this stuff should be ingrained into your brain by now, if it isn't you need to get up to date before you're Zombie bait!

1) A Zombie's estimated "lifespan" is anywhere from three to five YEARS!
The rate of decay is chiefly dependant on environmental issues. A frozen Zombie could last well beyond the five years and case studies show that the longevity of a frozen zombie can be indefinite.
On the other hand in tropical environments decay can be much, much quicker.

Now that's not to say that a five year old zombie will have the same threat level as a nice fresh specimen but none the less, you don't want it messin' with you.

2)"Should you use a suppressor to engage zombies so the don't get a fix on your location?"

Hell freakin' yes you want to use a suppressor! Damn... have you been paying attention at all!?

In a nut shell, here's the deal:

Humans for the most part are visual creatures. When a person looses his vision guess what happens...
He makes up for it with the increased abilities of hearing, feeling and even smell.

In a way that's how zombies operate. Every sense is on "max". The only thing on "low power" is their stinkin' rotted-out grey matter which is set to "ultra stupid".

Be as stealthy as you can around those suckers... unless you WANT to attract them for extermination which is a whole different subject entirely...

Get educated or get dead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My Zombie Survival Handbook said they can live for months or even years, especially if they are not in hot humic weather.

Required reading:
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Mr. Brooks's book is a fine work.

Do not, however take it as the definitive text when it comes to all things "Zombie".
There are documented flaws in many of the assertions put forth by Mr. Brooks since it's writting and there is yet much to be learned.

I intend to submit a number of essays currently in progress which will dispute a number of his findings.

Please note that my intention is not to deminish his works so much as to add to the information he has developed. He has done a great deal and we all owe him a debt of graditude.

There is much yet to be learned...
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Bama, you should read "Raptorman" I learned alot on the topic of zombies there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I never watched zombie movies till I visited ARF.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The "raptorman" story was pretty decent. I've been wanting to get the book and see what happens after the nuking of the big cities.
raptormans journal
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]
In 28 Days Later the "zombies" lived 28 days. Hence the name of the movie.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They're documentaries...sheesh!

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
They were not zombies in that movie.....As far as im concerned anyway.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see the 28 days later as being more realistic, as far as zombies are concerned.

I may have missed it but I thought dude woke up from his coma 28 days later.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Zombies can stay animated until they LITERALLY  rot away.

Yes the are attracted by sound.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ahem..

Documentaries.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Oh, jeeze...

Look, this stuff should be ingrained into your brain by now, if it isn't you need to get up to date before you're Zombie bait!

1) A Zombie's estimated "lifespan" is anywhere from three to five YEARS!
The rate of decay is chiefly dependant on environmental issues. A frozen Zombie could last well beyond the five years and case studies show that the longevity of a frozen zombie can be indefinite.
On the other hand in tropical environments decay can be much, much quicker.

Now that's not to say that a five year old zombie will have the same threat level as a nice fresh specimen but none the less, you don't want it messin' with you.

2)"Should you use a suppressor to engage zombies so the don't get a fix on your location?"

Hell freakin' yes you want to use a suppressor! Damn... have you been paying attention at all!?

In a nut shell, here's the deal:

Humans for the most part are visual creatures. When a person looses his vision guess what happens...
He makes up for it with the increased abilities of hearing, feeling and even smell.

In a way that's how zombies operate. Every sense is on "max". The only thing on "low power" is their stinkin' rotted-out grey matter which is set to "ultra stupid".

Be as stealthy as you can around those suckers... unless you WANT to attract them for extermination which is a whole different subject entirely...

Get educated or get dead.

+eleveny billion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
it all depends on the script writer actually
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I love these threads. ARFCOM staple.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Does rigor mortis contribute for their stiff movements? I don't know much about zombies. The closest I have ever come to an encounter was an enraged mentally challenged fellow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
What if you chop the head off? You're not destroying the CNS...
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]
The CNS is the brain and spinal cord, so you are severing the main component of the CNS.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The CNS is the brain and spinal cord, so you are severing the main component of the CNS.

That's true. Would that destroy their zombism?

That being said... what if you severed their spinal cord with a gunshot?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

correct me if im wrong, but if you cut off the head at the neck, wouldnt the head still be "alive" ie it could still possibly bite you if some how part of you was in its open mouth? oh man, that sounds bad...
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
So a zombie, able to transcend our meaning of life and death, period, is supposed to have a life span?  I think they join DU.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Zombies can "live" indefinately. The zombies that were trapped in the underground complex in the Resident Evil series were locked up for an extended period of time. Possibly years. Also, the zombies in Land of the Dead must have existed for several years considering the fact that they had begun to evolve, and considering the fact that since most of the human had either evacuated or been killed the source of new zombies had been exhausted.

As for using a supressor, it may help but as you know supressors do not completely eliminate the sound of the firearm. The best supressors that I've heard reduce the sound to about the equivalent of dropping a book from about 3 or 4 feet off of the floor. Still plenty loud enough to attract attention.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I disagree.  All everyone would have to do is hunker down for 28 days and all would be perfect.  

What about the zombies that come out of their graves.  A lot of them have been planted longer than 28 days.    

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

correct me if im wrong, but if you cut off the head at the neck, wouldnt the head still be "alive" ie it could still possibly bite you if some how part of you was in its open mouth? oh man, that sounds bad...

That is a very real possibility.

The thing to remember is you have to displace grey matter. You want the destroy the brain, period. A direct hit to the inner, primal brain is the ultimate money shot. At most, all the zombie can do if you take out the brain is whatever it was doing when you nailed it. Usually they just drop, though.

Bigger and/or faster bullets do a better job than small rimfire stuff. Fortunately, 5.56mm can really skull-fuck you, so it's good to go. Just remember that aimed fired works better than full-auto. Time and again, people have shot up their ammo on full-auto from the hip and then they get surrounded and pulled into the zombie's ravenous hands. You'll need shit loads of ammo, depending on where you are. Think in terms of tens of thousands of rounds. If you get stuck downtown, in some big city......well, don't....

The longer you stay in one spot, the more Zombies will show up. Pick secure locations with plenty of food and water and sturdy transportation. Gunstores are much better than malls, but malls with gunstores are even better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

As for using a supressor, it may help but as you know supressors do not completely eliminate the sound of the firearm. The best supressors that I've heard reduce the sound to about the equivalent of dropping a book from about 3 or 4 feet off of the floor. Still plenty loud enough to attract attention.

Not to mention the sound of unneeded brain cells and skull fragments hitting the wall behind.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmm I never gave their hearing much thought. Any reports of someone using a dog whistle like in Mad Max when he fought Blaster? I think I am gonna put one in my zombie SHTF kit , it sure wont hurt to try. Well unless it summons all zombies within its audible range.

I guess its one of thos things  to try if I am pretty much surrounded and gonna die anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#37]
In Peter Jackson's "DEAD ALIVE", severed heads, legs, and even internal organs remained alive and gained their own consciousness in an effort to attack living people DESPITE being severed from the brain. It is hard to say since many zombies are caused by different reasons. Resident evil was a virus, DEAD ALIVE was a curse, etc....
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see the 28 days later as being more realistic, as far as zombies are concerned.

I may have missed it but I thought dude woke up from his coma 28 days later.

You are correct.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I remember watching a number of shows and one thing got my attention.

Considering someone said that Zombies are attracted to sound a R/C raido may and may not work.  If the station is tunedto music it may not work if the Zombies can tune out certain noises.  But if you somehow exagerate a few bodily noises Namely the heartbeat, breathing and a few ramblings that could work.  Wouldn't that be what the undead are after, also if you were to contain human sweat in a jar that could work as a pheromone decoy.

I watch a lit of television and some of these ideas came out of a combination of things.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The "raptorman" story was pretty decent. I've been wanting to get the book and see what happens after the nuking of the big cities.
raptormans journal

That was a good read. I had some time to kill so I read it just now. Makes for a good movie on how to survive instead of the last few movies that came out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What about the zombies that come out of their graves.  A lot of them have been planted longer than 28 days.  img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/Smileys_A-Z/Smileys_V-W-X-Y-Z/yeti_eat.gif  

Colt_SBR  

I dont believe in those.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Oops, I thought in the end of the movie 28 days later, that they stated that the "infected" did not think to eat, and that the longest the human body can survive without nurishment is 28 days. Thats why the last zombies were crawling, shriveled and emaciated in the last scene; I guess I need to rewatch it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:31:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What if you chop the head off? You're not destroying the CNS...

I believe that Mr. Brooks documented a case of severed zombie heads in jars that were still cognazent (sp?).  He did discount the story of a room full of shreaking heads - they would have to be full torso's in order to moan or shreak.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#44]
What about assholes like the guy in ReAnimator that intentionally brings them back or manufactures the undead (even Frankenstein). How long do their creatures roam the landscape?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

They are attracted to noise and recent studies indicate they may also be attracted to the smell of the living. Test subjects have rubbed pieces of corpse flesh on themselves and they were essentially ignored by the zombies. Be aware that perspiration and precipitation can dilute the "death scent".

There is another study out that shows that since zombies are "dead" and show no body temperture, they will also aggressively seek out and actively home in on anything with an average body temp of 98.6 degrees F. This was done by using infrared cameras and scanners at a range of 1000 meters to keep the scientists at a safe distance. The subjects used were deathrow inmates, drug junkies, and career criminals that were given one last chance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
raptormans journal

That was a good read. I had some time to kill so I read it just now. Makes for a good movie on how to survive instead of the last few movies that came out.

It was  a lot  better last year  before  he chopped  most of it off  the  site  so you  had to buy  the book .
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see the 28 days later as being more realistic, as far as zombies are concerned. I may have missed it but I thought dude woke up from his coma 28 days later.

1) The "monsters" in "28 Days Later" were not zombies. They were hyper-homicidal maniacs. They didn't die and come back to life. They were alive and became infected with a virus.

2) Bama-Shooter, you are correct about where the title of the movie came from.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see the 28 days later as being more realistic, as far as zombies are concerned. I may have missed it but I thought dude woke up from his coma 28 days later.

1) The "monsters" in "28 Days Later" were not zombies. They were hyper-homicidal maniacs. They didn't die and come back to life. They were alive and became infected with a virus.

2) Bama-Shooter, you are correct about where the title of the movie came from.

So that partially explains why there were not that many "zombies" in the city when he woke up. They must have died off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What about assholes like the guy in ReAnimator that intentionally brings them back or manufactures the undead (even Frankenstein). How long do their creatures roam the landscape?

Were the things the ReAnimator brought back infectious?  I don't think they qualify as "zombies" as we know it.  I think they were more like the brought back dead in Pet Semetary...not quite right/evil but not mindless flesh eating creatures.

Frankenstein's creature isn't really a zombie or "undead".  More of a flesh golem, though a scientifically animated one instead of by magic.   The creature has a functioning heart & other organs=actually alive even though he was stitched together from dead flesh.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#50]
they last a long time, unless you shoot them in the head and burn them
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top