Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2001 6:06:59 PM EDT
OK, Im new here, but I like the fourm.
I have something that will be fun for all to look at, let me know what ya think.
Yes it is real, and for sale.
http://ferret50.com/
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good[sniper]

[url]http://ferret50.com[/url]  fixed for the new guy
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My credit card is burnin a hole in my pocket.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
very cool! I have been planning on buying the watsons weapons upper once I get the money, but wow! a bolt action makes a lot more sense than the break open crank it pull apart put in new cartridge crank it again put back together action. Any plans for longer than 18" bbl? I couldn't find the news and info page. does the high mass hammer work with a regular .223 or 9mm bolt carrier? will lesser cartridges get their primers pierced?
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Me like!!!!!  Me want!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Team Ferret:
OK, Im new here, but I like the fourm.
I have something that will be fun for all to look at, let me know what ya think.
Yes it is real, and for sale.
http://ferret50.com/
View Quote

Questions that come to mind, is, how well will the AR lower hold up to the pounding of the recoil?

It appears from the photo that the weak link is AR lower, any professional testing, as to how long it will hold up?

If the AR part shears would the operator still be safe, from injury?

Already owning a former NAVY .50 BMG bolt action with a massive brake, which is removed in short order for sabot rounds, or to attach a can, I know to recoil is bitch at times!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
A while back, I asked about .50 uppers for ARs on a popular .50 message board and it was suggested it may not be the best way to go.

A lot of comments pertained very closely to the comments made by "andreusan".

There are may different conversions available for the AR-15/M-16, but a .50 is probably not one you want to mess with. The .50 world is a whole lot different than the other calibers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I like this board, there is a lot of good stuff and people here. The info is handy cuz I like my AR's in .223 as well.

Thanks for fixing my link, Ill have to figure that out next time. I will try to answer some of the questions from the replies.

The high mass hammer has no secondary catch, so it won't work in a semi-auto.

The barrel can be changed in a few minutes. I will be offering longer barrels separately and installed in the near future. But the short barrel is so much fun, really.

The lower in the pics is one I borrowed from a dealer, and it was stripped. I put it together with parts I had and made the stock. Now, the lower was one of the worst castings I have seen. In spite of that, and the fact I am brutal on everything, it did just fine. So, I wouldn't give a second thought to anything better than a cast lower. If you wanted to get picky, a stainless lower would remove all doubt. I have had a DPMS single shot lower on order for weeks. So, as soon as it comes in I will be putting up better pics and testing some more. I tell my wife Im testing, really Im out having fun blasting away ammo.

The world of 50's is not that much different from any other caliber, just bigger. I found that I was buying bigger and bigger guns and still felt like it just wasnt enough. I still had loads of fun, but there just was something missing that I couldnt put my finger on. Having finished testing last month I was ready for an event here in Florida. The Hernando 4th of July machine gun and 50 shoot (they put cars on the firing line). I went through approx 35 rounds in 5 to 6 min, and what a rush I got. Are 50's addicting, yes. I fired all the ammo I had that day, 69 rounds. I should have brought more. My shoulder felt like I had spent the day firing a few hundred rounds of .223, not bad at all.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments. Im glad you guys like it.

Team Ferret
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the upper.  I also like the 70 GTO sitting in the driveway.  Any more pictures of that?
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Best one I've seen yet!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
That is REALLY sweet! Howzabout a carbine version with a 16 inch tube [;)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
but I am waiting for a 50 bmg carbine conversion for my 1911.

but really this looks cool though
i like the bolt idea better than taking the thing apart just to reload.
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
oh man,

I want one so bad!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
That's a fine upper you have. I'm glad someone finally produced one like that. I'd been thinking myself about how to design one and had even drawn some rough sketchs of one similar too it, now you've saved me the trouble.

If I'm thinking right, the lower should hold up pretty well, as the weight of the upper and the muzzle brake should take enough out of the recoil pulse and keep the stress down on the pins. I think the standard stock and buffer tube should hold up well, as they would share the force of the recoil.

BMB    
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Kudos to Team Ferret!
[beer]
That is a fine looking upper you've built.  I too, am concerned about the ability of the lower to handle the stresses.  I've done a bit of searching and haven't been able to find any failures occuring with a 50 cal AR upper.  Anybody know any structural engineering types that are into big caliber rifles.  I'd be very curious to see what they would say about this.

It would really spoil my day for a failure to cause the scope, receiver and barrel to enter my eye and then exit out the back of my head...

OFF TOPIC:
TeamFerret,
I'm curious what the relationship btw you and tween-the-shadows is. Are you a practitioner?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#18]
When in doubt, use a SOCOM lower.  Those suckers should be able to handle it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]
It would be pretty easy to build a custom lower for this puppy using a table top milling machine.  All that's required would be the trigger group, push pins, pistol grip, and buffer tube.  Make it from a billet of steel to withstand the stresses.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I like it a lot, but one question though... what's the deal with needing a photocopy of your driver's license as proof of age?

If I'm buying just an upper, there is no law that says I have to be over 18 or 21?  Is there?

M.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Nifty. As a service to the board and a means of inspiring confidence in the product, I think TEAM FERRET should send an upper to a member selected at random (OK, ME!) for a thorough product testing review! Hell, you send the upper, I'll even buy the ammo!

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the complements everyone, and the Kudos from AR in the woods.

I see someone spotted the GTO, I forgot it was in one shot.

I will let you guys know how the next testing session goes. One thing I think I will do is change the pins. Standard pins have a detent grove that can gouge the lower. So a pin with an E clip (like anti-walk pins)might be better.

As far as the Driver License copy, that is there until the lawyers are sure I won't have problems. 50's are not liked my some, and these some might have badges. If I am going to live on the edge building these, I need to know where the edge is. For now I don't require a copy to order. By delivery time, Ill know if I can remove the DL copy thing. BUT, unless you walk up to my door with cash to buy, there will always be a paper trail. I am trying to do my part to be responsible. If I were to sell an upper to a minor, and it was used in a crime, it will be another nail in the 2nd amendment coffin. No one will care where the lower came from, but a 50 upper sold to a minor ( I can see the news special now). Let me know if any of you think I am wrong, cuz often I am.

Now, as far as donating an upper for review, that's a good idea. As soon as I catch up on orders. Or come to Kissimmee Florida, we can hit the range, Ill buy lunch and beer, and you can write a nice review. I think I might do a drawing for a free one next year, or donate one to FCSA. BTW- I am offering a free upper. If you buy 10, or scout 10 sales for me you get one for free. I know it is not much, but it is something.

Dave

ar-yes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm drooling.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top