Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2005 7:39:22 AM EDT
Well guys I may be joining the border patrol here soon. I've completed the Language test and the oral board interview process succesfully and i'm pretty sure I will pass medical, physical, drug and psychological evaluations to follow. I chose my duty station to be Arizona, but I'm thinking about switching it to West Texas but I'm not sure yet. Are there any Border patrol agents here or does anyone have any experiance? I'd like to hear any input you guys have. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear that is a VERY tough job.

Wouldn't being a cop be easier?  Like a LA cop or something?

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hear that is a VERY tough job.

Wouldn't being a cop be easier?  Like a LA cop or something?

SGat1r5

If he was in LA (Sanctuary City) he wouldn't be able to ask the nationality of those he comes in contact with. On the boarder I don't think that you would have that problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I figure it would be some good experiance and a big change. I am also going into the police academy in november. I figured I would keep on with the selection process and then when its all done, I can see how I feel about it. I was thinking I would do the boarder patrol for 2 years then transfer to another agency like customs or whatever Federal agency that I like that could get me back to Florida.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you all think of west texas?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]

I chose my duty station to be Arizona

And I will make you my coffee slave.
All kidding aside, yeah there are a few of us here.
Arizona is probably where you'll end up due to the Border initiative program.
That is of course after your 18 weeks of IOBTC.
It's hot, it's thankless, and you'll see things that will shock and amaze you!

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Check with Sand_Pirate.  He should be able to give you the inside scoop.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a friend who was cost guard stationed in brownsville, and another who was bp in south texas.  Listened to them comiserate at our class reunion.  the cg guy is doint something unrelated now, the pb when into customs and is now in houston.  For what it is worth, Nuevo Laredo is all but a war zone right now - not sure if I would want to be there.  New chief of police was assasinated like 9 hrs after taking office last week.  A week or two ago - a shootout between the police and the drug cartel included rpg's.  As of this weekend it is under Martial law with Mexico Army sitting there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I freakin LOVE it!

All kinds of recretional opportunities!  Hunting, hiking, beautiful, beautiful scenery!!!

And them latin wiminz...  

I almost transferred to El Paso, but my company fucked me over.  Oh well!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That is of course after your 18 weeks of IBOTC.

I have worked Thankless Jobs all my life. I'm used to it by now and wouldn't have it any other way. As far as coffee. . . I can make some pretty good cuban coffee! No thanks required. What is the Boarder initiative program? This may sound funny to you guys but I picked Arizona because I saw a show on the travel channel that showed Lake Havesue in the Summer time and all I could say was WOW! Well If I make it I sure hope to meet you Gunslinger808! Do you like your job alot ? Was it what you expected or did you get a big surprise?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I know a guy who used to be Border Patrol, He left because he couldn't take it anymore, he said you don't know what Human suffering looks like till you find some of those illegals in the desert.

he said "You do your job and round them up to send back, knowing you'll see them again, but after looking at their conditions you can't blame them for trying."

He said the sympathy he felt was another Human being in those conditions not as someone who sympathizes with their illegal means of crossing the border. He said you burn out quick!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Had a friend who was cost guard stationed in brownsville, and another who was bp in south texas.  Listened to them comiserate at our class reunion.  the cg guy is doint something unrelated now, the pb when into customs and is now in houston.  For what it is worth, Neavo Lerado is all but a war zone right now - not sure if I would want to be there.  New chief of police was assasinated like 9 hrs after taking office last week.  As of this weekend it is under Martial law with Mexico Army sitting there.

Thats Crazy! Where the hell is Neavo Lerado? Is that in the US?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Lake Havasu is one of the last things you'll get to see in Arizona.
Most likely you will be stationed in a small paradise like Naco, Nogales, Sells, or Yuma, right on the border.
The hours are long and the terrain is harsh, it's not uncommon to find the body of some happless illegal that didn't understand that the desert will kill you.
Yeah, it can be trying, but there is a lot of pride in the job, and uniform, and it is not a job for the lazy and unmotivated.
Once you have your foot in the door, and have earned your stripes, you can move on to better goobermint jobs, Customs (no comment) Special Agent, Criminal Investigations, and Anti Smuggling to name a few.

He said the sympathy he felt was another Human being in those conditions not as someone who sympathizes with their illegal means of crossing the border. He said you burn out quick!!

It can happen, but thats just the trajedy you learn to deal with in ANY law enforcement job.
Me?
I work for ICE now, and have about a year to go till retirement, it's been a good run, but honestly I'm tired of the politics and BS that won't let us go out and win the war against these invaders.

Where the hell is Neavo Lerado?

It's the Mexican side of Lauredo in Texas.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I freakin LOVE it!

All kinds of recretional opportunities!  Hunting, hiking, beautiful, beautiful scenery!!!

And them latin wiminz...  

And unlike Florida, humidity won't be much of a problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I freakin LOVE it!

And them latin wiminz...  

And unlike Florida, humidity won't be much of a problem.

Its funny you say that because today happens to be one of those Super Humid days. Hot and muggy as hell!

Hey isn't that big water park SCHLITERBAUNS in texas? If it is, what part is it in?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]
aNYONE ELSE HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]
If you don't speak Spanish, I would recommend starting now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you don't speak Spanish, I would recommend starting now.

Yeah I speak spanish. My friend was supposed to do this with me but he failed the spanish test and gave up after that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#19]
The water park is in New Braunsfield (between San Antonio and Austin - fairly Central Texas - unless you are from Dallas, then you think it is South Texas), on the Comal River (very short river, only a couple miles long).  Tubing the comal is fun and cold (at liest by Tx Standards), the Guadalupe river also runs through town -  much longer tube trips - was a meca for beer tubing (not sure if it is still legal or not - they try to outlaw it every couple years as riverfront property values increase and people get tired of drunk urinating on their lawns).  Schliterbaun is man made tubing and a hoot - but the lines on some of the rides are past rediculious (normal slow tube rides are still fun, but the signiture rides might have a 3+hr wait sometimes (and that is weekday waits - I don't even dream of going their on the weekend) and the tickents are pretty high 20-30 I think).  Friends here in Austin often tend to go to Fiesta Texas waterpark in San Antionio instead (or Vielente Beach - which is N. of Austin)
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#20]
IM me.  I'll be one of your Firearms Instructors while you're at the academy.

Two things:  Don't show up out of shape for my academy...you'll fail.  And it's spelled "border", not "boarder".
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well guys I may be joining the border patrol here soon. I've completed the Language test and the oral board interview process succesfully and i'm pretty sure I will pass medical, physical, drug and psychological evaluations to follow. I chose my duty station to be Arizona, but I'm thinking about switching it to West Texas but I'm not sure yet. Are there any Border patrol agents here or does anyone have any experiance? I'd like to hear any input you guys have. Thanks!

I doubt you're going to get a BP agent to post anything here.

From my experience, you'll want out in less than a year; perhaps a little bit longer. Depends on your tolerance for stupidity, boredom and revolving door useless tasks.

I do admire the agents who stick with it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I think it'd be cool to be a border patrol agent, hard work with less people then needed but still a cool job.  I'd be good at it seeing as I'm hispanic, I'd use it to my advantage.  I'd be like "Hola como estas, I'm not going to hurt you, ven paca, yo soy tu amigo"  Then WHAM!!! They're in the back of a van heading back over the border.  I'm a sneaky bastage...

Digital
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah me too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Two things:  Don't show up out of shape for my academy...you'll fail.  And it's spelled "border", not "boarder".

And this is why I love this site.  arfcom may be one of the best networking tools anywhere
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And this is why I love this site.  arfcom may be one of the best networking tools anywhere

+1
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Watch out for Sand Pirate. He's 7 foot tall, eats razor blades for breakfast, and drinks gasoline.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I work for ICE now, and have about a year to go till retirement, it's been a good run, but honestly I'm tired of the politics and BS that won't let us go out and win the war against these invaders.

I met a guy who is an agent for ICE a few weeks ago at a cookout (up here near Chicago).  He was saying (sorta jokingly) that he hated the name change cause he figured that anytime he had to show someone (especially another LEO) his badge, that they would laugh at the name "ICE" and/or think that it was a fake badge.  His superviser had badge number 1234 or something like that.  That would definitely sound like a fake badge.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The water park is in New Braunsfield (between San Antonio and Austin - fairly Central Texas - unless you are from Dallas, then you think it is South Texas), on the Comal River (very short river, only a couple miles long).  Tubing the comal is fun and cold (at liest by Tx Standards), the Guadalupe river also runs through town -  much longer tube trips - was a meca for beer tubing (not sure if it is still legal or not - they try to outlaw it every couple years as riverfront property values increase and people get tired of drunk urinating on their lawns).  Schliterbaun is man made tubing and a hoot - but the lines on some of the rides are past rediculious (normal slow tube rides are still fun, but the signiture rides might have a 3+hr wait sometimes (and that is weekday waits - I don't even dream of going their on the weekend) and the tickents are pretty high 20-30 I think).  Friends here in Austin often tend to go to Fiesta Texas waterpark in San Antionio instead (or Vielente Beach - which is N. of Austin)

Here's a link to Schlitterbahn, which is in New Braunfels.

Now back to regular Border Patrol programming.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm also in the process of being hired for Border Patrol. I just took my 2nd PT test and 2nd piss test last week. Took my written May or June of last year. Just waiting for my call to EOD.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Good Luck!!  You will probibly be going to Nogales or somewhere in the Tuscon Sector if you get AZ. They are now offering bonuses to agents who transfer to Tuscon. You will see the shit, from the inside out.  Don't know too much about TX, but there are agents there who love it. Good luck and hope you make it to Artesia.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I remmember the first time I had a guy from ICE call in....

I asked him what ICE was, He was quiet for a second then then like he had done it a hundred times before he told me what it was...I then had a Deputy call him back.

I would love to work for BP, but I dont speak spanish.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Guy I used to work with decided to join the boarder patrol. Really fat, out of shape, no personality type of guy...never thought that they would select him but they did!!. I didnt see him for awhile. Then one nite I was in a bar with my girlfriend and there he is. He said he got jumped by a few illegals and was on disability cause it hurt his back. He is now a manager for a small sporting goods retailer....
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I would love to work for BP, but I dont speak spanish.

I don't speak Spanish either. That's what 5 months at the academy will teach you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm also in the process of being hired for Border Patrol. I just took my 2nd PT test and 2nd piss test last week. Took my written May or June of last year. Just waiting for my call to EOD.

What is the written? How long has your whole aplication process lasted so far?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the written? How long has your whole aplication process lasted so far?

Written test. It's been over a year now since the start of the whole process. The background check took the longest at 2 months to be completed. At my oral interview last November, they told me I was looking at attending the academy in August/September. At the rate everyone has been going, that looks about right. The goal is to not stop your life after applying. It's a long process but should be well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Sir, are you still an Instructor at Artesia?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a link to Schlitterbahn, which is in New Braunfels.

Now back to regular Border Patrol programming.  

There is also a Schlitterbahn at South Padre Island in TX.

Breacher
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That is of course after your 18 weeks of IOBTC.

I thank both of you
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Yes, I teach at the Academy in Artesia.  The first time you see me will be for your briefing on body armor.

You will not forget it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for your service and tell us some good stories!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember that day Sir.  Good presentation!

Why the switch from "Second Chance" though
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I remember that day Sir.  Good presentation!hy

Thank you.

When INS was disbanded, and Border Patrol went to DHS/CBP, there was a re-compete on the armor contract.  U.S. Armor won the contract.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Thanks for your service and tell us some good stories!

I'm not very good at war stories.  I'll leave them to the other agents here.  There are several.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top