Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
My 94 2dr. 2wd. Explorer is very hard to get into gears.  I know the clutch is only a couple of years (of light driving) old, so that is not likely the problem (and the master/slave cylinders were replaced at the same time).

Someone suggested trying to adjust the shift linkage.

Can anyone tell me how to do this (or where to access the linkage)?

I tried doing a search, but with a slow dialup connection, I couldn't find what I needed.

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Hydraulic Clutch Troubleshooting
By Jeff Fisher

If your 1984 or later Hydraulic clutch is acting up, as in, not fully disengaging the clutch when the pedal is pressed or the clutch pedal not fully returning after being pressed read on...

Before swapping out the clutch components because you are suspecting a worn throw out bearing, inspect the linkage for wear. In particular look at the point where the master cylinder push rod connects to the clutch linkage (it's located to the right of the steering column inside the cab). On some model years the master cylinder push rod is adjustable. I replaced my later model non-adjustable push rod with a newer unit from a newer truck out of a junk yard.

Pull the pin.

Take the push rod off the drop down arm.

Inspect the plastic bushing and replace it if it looks at all worn.

If the linkage is well worn adjust the length of the push rod, if yours is the type that can be adjusted, or attempt to find a newer adjustable rod from a junkyard. Just a tiny little bit of slop at this critical connecting point can cause a significant loss of travel in the master cylinder.

When making adjustments take care not to adjust the push rod out too far, too much adjustment will prevent the hydraulics from returning and could cause clutch slippage. All you need to do is take out all the slop between the master cylinder push rod and the drop down arm.

Your best bet it to inspect this critical connecting point and detect wear early enough so that a new plastic shim will prevent a problem. I replaced the plastic bushing with some brass shim material.

This is easy and cheap insurance to prevent future problems. Keep and eye on this high wear point and keep it greased.

www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/075/article/Hydraulic_Clutch_Troubleshooting.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.   The Master and Slave were replaced--not sure if the pushrod is a normal replacement item at the same time.  

I did look, and there doesn't appear to be any slop.

I'm still wondering if there is a way to adjust the gear shift lever at the transmission.

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The M5OD 5 speed is the typical manual  trans in the exploders
The  gear shift components are internal (except for the stick) and are not adjustable
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Pressure plates(springs)can collapse even when fairly new(two years is not new)

I have not seen an adjustable clutch in many years
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You may also want to check the firewall area where the master cylinder is bolted to it, because that's a big weak spot on those vehicles. I had an 88 Ranger that developed a big crack in the firewall under the MC, which led to rough shifting because the pedal was pushing the cylinder through the firewall every time I tried to shift gears. If this is the problem, it won't matter how much you adjust the pushrod.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Will get someone to push on the clutch while I check things at the firewall.  

I did pull the push rod off, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable.  Might play with it a bit more later to see what I can see.

Will keep trying (hate to have to put a rebuilt tranny into the thing..not worth the $1k parts price right now).

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Either you've lost pressure because of a leak or you have a bad clutch again.

The last Ford I had,  to adjust the clutch pedal all you had to do was pull the clutch pedal towards you with your foot or pull it back with your hands.

You'll hear it click, when it taken up the slack.

This was a 90 Ford so it could be different now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a 93 Ranger with the 4.0 and 5spd.   Same trans probably as yours.  Mine was getting real hard to change gears as well and finally it would only go into 2nd.  On the top cover of the tranny where the shifter pokes through, there is a plastic ball that wears out.  I had to buy a whole new top cover assembly since the ball is held in with two pins that are non removable.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Try posting you question here:

www.ford-trucks.com/forums/

Lots of people that know their stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top