Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2005 2:16:40 PM EDT
I have a 99 Bonneville and the keyless entry failed.  I went to the local GM dealership (there's only one now because they merged) and bought a new remote.  They charged me over $60.00 for a $5.00 part.  They told me to reset it I had to hold down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.  I should hear  the doors unlock and the remote should then be reset.  Ok, I didn't understand that in the first place.  What would keep anyone from doing that to any car in the parking lot?

Anyway, I looked it up in the owners manual and it said I had to take it to the dealership for them to reset the frequency or whatever.  Why didn't they tell me that in the first place?    My wife had to run an errand so she stopped by the dealership to get it done.  They told her they were going to charge us $31.00 (half0hour labor) to do it!    First, they charge me an arm and a leg for a $5.00 part and then charge me to get it to work?  What's up with that?  They did give me directions on how to do it myself but I have to get an inline fuse.  Ok, don't know what an inline fuse is but he said I could get it at a place that sells stereo equipment.  

Guess I'll do it myself once I figure out everything.  Question:  Does anyone know where the box is you hook this thing up to?  The directions look pretty simple but where is the junction box to do it?  It doesn't appear to be the fuse box as it looks very different than the diagram.

Rant off....for now.

BTW, I did call GM customer service and they said the dealership told them it was a GM practice, not just that dealership.  That's asinine regardless of whose policy it is.  They should not charge to do it since it is required to make it work.  I also emailed GM about it and requested a call from someone in management.  Doubt I'll hear anything but worth a shot.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
So.....what exactly did you buy?  A new remote?

Can buy them for $10 on Ebay.  I bought 4 of them for my truck for like $35 total....

As far as reprogramming the remotes, you shoulda asked.  I have instructions on how to do it...

Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the door unlock switch.
While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So.....what exactly did you buy?  A new remote?

Yes, I bought a new remote.  Your directions didn't work for my car.  Any other ideas I might try?

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you follow them exactly?

I've given people the directions and they say they didnt work and they did something like, not cycling the ON/OFF/ON/OFF before..

Also, it's standard GM remote keyless transmitter programming procedures.  Taken straight from GM tech manuals.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you follow them exactly?

I've given people the directions and they say they didnt work and they did something like, not cycling the ON/OFF/ON/OFF before..

Also, it's standard GM remote keyless transmitter programming procedures.  Taken straight from GM tech manuals.

Yup, followed them exactly.  The parts guy told my wife that some vehicles can be done this way and some can't.  The directions he printed out say to hook up their tool/machine to the junction box.  Put the wires at 8 and 4.  That resets it.  

I'll keep trying and see what happens.  Thanks again, Tyman.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
yep 8 and 4 in the AL/DL . Its the connector for the scan tool. You need to bridge(with a wire ) the points. the doors should cycle the locks. Then hold the lock / unlock buttons till the locks cycle. Do both transmitters 1 after the other. Then remove the bridge. If this does not work call the dealer again. Give em the vin# and they shouild be able to look up the procedure.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yep 8 and 4 in the AL/DL . Its the connector for the scan tool. You need to bridge(with a wire ) the points. the doors should cycle the locks. Then hold the lock / unlock buttons till the locks cycle. Do both transmitters 1 after the other. Then remove the bridge. If this does not work call the dealer again. Give em the vin# and they shouild be able to look up the procedure.  Good luck.

Rocky, I have directions on how to do it.  The dealer printed them off for me.  The only problem I have at this point is finding the AL/DL box.  Where is it located on the car?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It should be under the dash, left of the steering column. Look for a plug/ connector mounted to the underside.

Danny

ETA: something similar to <link removed by me> Danny
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It should be under the dash, left of the steering column. Look for a plug/ connector mounted to the underside.

Danny

ETA: something similar to this

Found it and it worked.  Thanks!  Thanks all for the help!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Found it and it worked.  Thanks!  Thanks all for the help!

Powerful thing, the Hive Mind.

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top