Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 3:58:40 PM EDT
I am going to be building a privacy fence here so I can get a dog (among other reasons).

Cedar is slightly more expensive, but it is nice-looking and smells nice as well.

Which holds up better to the humidity and rain we get here in the Southeast?

edited to add: I am actually replacing an existing privacy fence which was apparently built with non-treated lumber because it is really warped.  How bad a problem is warpage with treated lumber and cedar?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Cyprus
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
treated cypress by far
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
treated cypress by far

Well I don't know if you were being facetious or not, but I didn't know there was treated cypress?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
#1 Cyprus boats were made from this

#2 Cedar  fence posts are made from these

#3 White Oak  barns are sided with this

#4 Yellow Poplar  barns are sided with this too

IMHO

edited to add- Pressure treated woods are only treated to a depth of about .400-.500.  If you expose the untreated wood beneath it will rot from the inside out. I think that there is some out now that is treated through and through but is is expensive.

Look for some Cyprus.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
there are 100 year old homes in the keys with cypress roof decking that is in 99% percent condition.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Galvanized chain-link fence set in cement.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Only if you've got a '74 Plymouth on blocks in the yard too...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Cypress is #1. Rot proof, termites won't eat it, it lasts forever. "Heart Pine" (fat wood) is also impervious to everything but fire (goes off like a bomb), but it will drip sap in the heat. Most everything around here is built of pressure treated pine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about treated lumber, but cedar holds up pretty well to humidity.  It's used in humidors for cryin' out loud.  

R
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I always thought of it as south central and my "lumber" is my own damn business thank you....ok I haven't had any rot since Germany '97......
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
PT lumber holds up extremely well...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
You could always dress it up with redwood or ceder fence slats.
There is nothing better for a dog fence than chain-link fence.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if you've got a '74 Plymouth on blocks in the yard too...

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
PT has a tendency oy warping. If you want to use PT run 3 stringers instead of two. I did not do a chain link fence at my house but did a hurricane fence
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top