Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 11:56:44 AM EDT
Im at work and were trying to find what brands of 9mm +P+ there are out on the market. please give me a hand here. im looking for like a 147 or 124, something with some weight to it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Just look for Win. Ranger's..+p+............good stuff for 9mm. later, W.B.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal HydraShok 124gr+p+
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Speer Gold Dot
124gr +P+
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im at work and were trying to find what brands of 9mm +P+ there are out on the market. please give me a hand here. im looking for like a 147 or 124, something with some weight to it.

Honest question:

Considering how the best-performing 9mm loads in any and all decent ammo tests are the mid-to heavy-weight bullets, at NON+P+ velocities, why is there a thread somewhere every week on arfcom asking about +P+ ammo?

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Hirtenberg L7A1  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

Considering how the best-performing 9mm loads in any and all decent ammo tests are the mid-to heavy-weight bullets, at NON+P+ velocities, why is there a thread somewhere every week on arfcom asking about +P+ ammo?

+1

Why is there such an irrational desire for +P+ ??

Make you feel more manly or something?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

[sarcasm]Because speed kills[/sarcasm]

The sad fact is less than 10% of the people on this board have a clue about ammunition performance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
After 2,000 rounds of winchester white box 115 grain fmj's I've never had a ftf or fte.  That's all I keep in my gun.  If it's been that reliable for practice, why take a chance and switch to something else.  I think hitting someone with this bullet will stop them just as quick as any other 9mm out there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
no such thing as a 147 +p+, only in 124's and lower

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

link?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

link?

You want a link to ammo tests, or a link to the weekly 'dumb thread about carry ammo' thread?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Fine.

Here's a link specifically discussing Speer Gold Dots.

Notice that the +P, NOT the +P+ is recommended in barrel lengths less than 4".

Doctor Gary Roberts in particular recommends the following loadings for 9mm:

Barnes 105 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger Talon 127 gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger Talon 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

OK - there *is* one +P+ loading in there, but why bother?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a bunch of Remington 115 gr JHP +P+ for my Glocks and CZs.  Probably would not do it again.

Not bad though:

4.25 in barrel
1221 fps
bare gelatin: 10.8 in penetration/.63 in expansion
clothed gelatin 10.9 in penetration /.62 in expansion
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

+1

No, but it puts a hell of a fireball out of my P226!!! Holy Shit!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Federal HydraShok 124gr+p+

I used to carry those until I heard about them not expanding due to the cavity filling with the clothing of the target. Gold dots now for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Try the PMC Starfire loading in 9mm.   It is a 124 Grain bullet loaded at the top of the SAAMI specs, without being designated +P+.   Out of a Glock 17 it runs about 1250( +/- ) FPS, that's pretty quick.   Also pretty accurate too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

+1

why do people think "wanting to push a 9mm to a higher level" is irrational?

make me feel more manly? you must be a .45 guy
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

+1

It'sd not a matter of more velocity automatically being a bad thing. It's just that there are loads that perform better than most +P+ loads, but with less recoil/flash. It would be prudent to use those loads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure why one choses to buy a 9*19 handgun, then only feeds it +P+.  If you wanted a more powerful pistol, why didn't you just buy one...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread degenerated quickly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
get your self a .38spcl and load 158gr +P LSWCHP
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm not sure why one choses to buy a 9*19 handgun, then only feeds it +P+.  If you wanted a more powerful pistol, why didn't you just buy one...

i did. i carry a .357sig but i was curious about the 9mm +P and +P+ loads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
In my 2 9mm handguns, I carry the defensive load thats most accurate.

In my P-228, the load that works best is the 127gr. +P+ Winchester Ranger SXT T-series.  The new 124gr.+P with the same bullet works well, but I'm gonna shoot up the last of my 127grainers.

In my P-225, the 147gr. Rangers SXT Teries work best.  

In DocGKRs revised list, all three of these loads are considered good for 9mm usage.

I am of the belief that bonded flavored defensive cartridges are best all around.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question:

+1

It'sd not a matter of more velocity automatically being a bad thing. It's just that there are loads that perform better than most +P+ loads, but with less recoil/flash. It would be prudent to use those loads.

I really do not notice any difference between Winchester white box and +P+ Remington out of my G17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top