Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 6:28:18 PM EDT
To: National Desk

Contact: Christopher Norfleet of Focus on the Family, 719-548-4570 or [email protected]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., May 23 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Focus on the Family Action Chairman Dr. James C. Dobson today issued the following statement, upon the announcement by members of the U.S. Senate that a "compromise" had been reached on the filibuster issue:

"This Senate agreement represents a complete bailout and betrayal by a cabal of Republicans and a great victory for united Democrats. Only three of President Bush’s nominees will be given the courtesy of an up-or-down vote, and it's business as usual for all the rest. The rules that blocked conservative nominees remain in effect, and nothing of significance has changed. Justice Clarence Thomas, Justice Antonin Scalia, and Chief Justice William Rehnquist would never have served on the U. S. Supreme Court if this agreement had been in place during their confirmations. The unconstitutional filibuster survives in the arsenal of Senate liberals.

"We are grateful to Majority Leader Frist for courageously fighting to defend the vital principle of basic fairness. That principle has now gone down to defeat. We share the disappointment, outrage and sense of abandonment felt by millions of conservative Americans who helped put Republicans in power last November. I am certain that these voters will remember both Democrats and Republicans who betrayed their trust."

----

James C. Dobson, Ph.D. is a psychologist, author, radio broadcaster and founder of Focus on the Family Action. Founded in 2004, Focus on the Family Action is an action organization dedicated to the preservation of the moral and cultural values upon which our nation was founded.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
This Republican Majority bullshit has proven to be a total farce.  I have this sneaking suspicion that the GOP is going to be losing some seats come next election as the faithful stay home.  Lord knows I am.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
In the Senate? Yes.

In the House? No.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Lindsay Graham, McCain, DeWiney, Collins, etc. have to go ASAP. You people from those states need to be on the horn to these traitors tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I AGREE!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
JUST GIVE US THE "BENEDICT ARNOLD" LIST
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This Republican Majority bullshit has proven to be a total farce.  I have this sneaking suspicion that the GOP is going to be losing some seats come next election as the faithful stay home.  Lord knows I am.

That's a smart tactic, because if Democrats win seats in the House and Senate, things will be so much better for us.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Graham will hear about this one.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
What's next, if our candidate in 2008 only wins by a small margin, we "compromise" and give them the Presidency?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah, i heard him on AFR the other day.

he was pissed!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a smart tactic, because if Democrats win seats in the House and Senate, things will be so much better for us.

+1
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Face it boys.......they have us [gunowners] by the nuts. This is what happens when you only have two parties to pick from.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Face it boys.......they have us [gunowners] by the nuts. This is what happens when you only have two parties to pick from.

We've ALWAYS only had two parties to pick from.

The problem is, RINOs are a protected species and conservatives are a dying breed.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Bull Moose anyone?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've ALWAYS only had two parties to pick from.

The problem is, RINOs are a protected species and conservatives are a dying breed.

True...but the Burb's are getting bigger and more Lib, so hard core conservatives can't get elected anywhere near big cities which have the voting population.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Exactly. We'll really teach them if we let the Democrats run the show. That'll really speed up Bush's judicial nominations.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bull Moose anyone?

Ugh.

We all know how THAT turned out - three-way split and Woodrow "League-Of-Nations" Wilson won in an 82% electoral landslide while only getting 42% of the popular vote.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Exactly. We'll really teach them if we let the Democrats run the show. That'll really speed up Bush's judicial nominations.

So you brain-trust candidates are going to continue to allow your own to betray you without consquence?  Has blindly backing these weak-kneed compromising spine-replacement rejects  for 15 years gotten us a whole slew of gun laws repealed?  Or just "more compromised"?

What's all this I hear about "we fire them by voting them out of office"?  B.S.  The only thing a politican understands is remaining in office.  That's all they DO.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
The public in general will look at this REPUBLICAN DOMINATED EVERYTHING, see that jackshit was done, and blame the REPUBLICANS.

I hate my party so much, I feel betrayed, I voted for these fuckers to do what they said they were going to do.  I didn't vote for the Republicans so that they would allow the Democrats to have our power.

I would have straight up voted for a Democrat if I wanted the leftists running the show.

DeWiney is a little pussy, I will not vote for next time around...furthermore, I will get my friends + family to not only not vote for the asshole but to vote for the Democrat.  That way, at least I'll have honest representation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I propose a trade:

John McCain for Ben Nelson.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The public in general will look at this REPUBLICAN DOMINATED EVERYTHING, see that jackshit was done, and blame the REPUBLICANS.

I hate my party so much, I feel betrayed, I voted for these fuckers to do what they said they were going to do.  I didn't vote for the Republicans so that they would allow the Democrats to have our power.

I would have straight up voted for a Democrat if I wanted the leftists running the show.

DeWiney is a little pussy, I will not vote for next time around...furthermore, I will get my friends + family to not only not vote for the asshole but to vote for the Democrat.  That way, at least I'll have honest representation.

Defeat Dewhiner in the primaries.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+3
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

So you brain-trust candidates are going to continue to allow your own to betray you without consquence?  Has blindly backing these weak-kneed compromising spine-replacement rejects  for 15 years gotten us a whole slew of gun laws repealed?  Or just "more compromised"?

What's all this I hear about "we fire them by voting them out of office"?  B.S.  The only thing a politican understands is remaining in office.  That's all they DO.

The AWB is gone, the 50 caliber ban is dead, and the 5.7 ban isn't going anywhere. If the Democrats get control of congress they'll do a hell of alot worse than the Republicans.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Question is what are you will to give up in order to teach the RINOs a lesson ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#24]
A Senate majority as long as we hold the House.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Go ahead and vote Constitution Party or Libertarian or whatever floats yours boat. You are throwing your vote away, but hey, if it assuages your conscience, go for it. But voting for a Democrat because you don't think the Republicans are 'conservative' enough, well, that's damned goofy.

Besides, we have had fillibusters for over 160 years, and to now make it some sort of Republic-defining issue is odd. Sure, they temper what the Republicans can do. They also temper what the Democrats can do, and since no majority lasts forever, I don't want the Senate throwing away a future defense against Democrat foolishness.

In the meanwhile, understand that all politics is compromise. America will never be exactly the way we 62 million GW voters want it to be. Nor will it ever be precisely the way 59 million Kerry voters want it. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you can drop the melodrama and focus on productive actions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A Senate majority as long as we hold the House.

I believe you were the one who posted the article about IANSA's goals during the 2006 UN Small Arms Programme of Action. If we get a Democratic president in 2008 with a Dem senate, then we could be in alot of trouble.

These judges are small potatoes for gun the gun rights crowd.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Well those RINOS would vote for the treaty anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well those RINOS would vote for the treaty anyway.

I doubt it. The Dems are froathing at the mouth to hand our sovergeinty over the the UN. It's a huge stretch to say that McCain and Co. would jump on board with an international gun ban.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh they would.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top