Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 6:10:09 PM EDT
I clicked on the website big-boys.com on thjis topic:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=354140

And in addition to downloading SurfSidekick 3 on my system I have a executable EXMF.EXE in Windows/System 32 that keeps trying to register executables.

I can't get rid of it.

I disabled it at startup in MSCONFIG and it is back everytime I reboot.

I can't delete it. I can't find anything on Google about it.

Anybody know what to do with this fucking thing?

Updated Norton and Spybot. Both don't even find it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, it's telling me I cannot delete the .exe file because it is currently in use.

How do disable a .exe in WinXP so that I can delete it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Find the location of that .exe and then boot into safe mode and delete from there.  It may try and re-install itself once you boot back into normal mode if there were other executables downloaded with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
In WinXP how do I reboot into safe mode?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In WinXP how do I reboot into safe mode?

Usually its F8 unless you have a Dell/HP/Craptacular POS prebuilt mach
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems I got it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have warned people about these links... more than once.

What I hear is "It didn't put anything on my computer."

Auggy, you need to update windows media player.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how to get rid of it, but you should install this program from Spybot called Tea Timer after you get rid of it, it will monitor your registery and lets you override the system when it wants to enter something in the registery.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Good thing I have a linux box to surf with.  It's not 100% bulletproof, it's just that people don't spend time trying to create spyware for 2% of the desktop OS market.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know how to get rid of it, but you should install this program from Spybot called Tea Timer after you get rid of it, it will monitor your registery and lets you override the system when it wants to enter something in the registery.

I have StartupMonitor. More or less the same thing. Fucking .exe tried to overwhelm it.

Great thing is Startup ID'd the .exes that were trying to register executables or I wouldn't have even known. Once I got into safe mode I was able to delete them.

So far, so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top