Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 1:26:34 PM EDT
What portion of job openings ina small-to-medium town are actually publically posted?

How do you ferret out the jobs that aren't on monster.com and other sites?

I have a full-time job 70 miles from where I want to work. Taking a day off to cruise around knocking on doors is easier said than done.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the whole monster.com route and got a few promising leads but what really cinched it was working back channel contacts.  I networked in my national guard unit and one guy that recently retired helped me work my way into a very nice starting position and after less than a month I am probably getting a raise and a promotion.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Online jobs searches have got me nowhere.

I feel that the HR people reading those resumes are probably vaguely familiar with the position, and are told specifically what  to look for, and then there is soooo many people lieing there ass off/telling them what they want to hear on their resume ....

Freakin crap shoot!

I did recieve a job offer when I called for information on a product though...

I've been told that here in Atlanta it's not what you know it's...

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Online jobs searches have got me nowhere.

I feel that the HR people reading those resumes are probably vaguely familiar with the position, and are told specifically what  to look for, and then there is soooo many people lieing there ass off/telling them what they want to hear on their resume ....

Freakin crap shoot!

I did recieve a job offer when I called for information on a product though...

I've been told that here in Atlanta it's not what you know it's...

Sadly, that's the case in many places. And I do have connections, I just ate to use 'em....
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I can relate to this post big time.  My business went under back in January & have been trying to pick up the pieces & go back to working for somebody else.  The job market right now is TIGHT!  I had wanted to get back into sales but was applying to management and administrative positions also.  I used newspaper postings and websites such as hotjobs.com & monster.com and all told probably sent out over 800 resumes with cover letters.  Out of all this work I generated only FIVE interviews, of which three of these would be considered "entry level" and I've got a fairly successful track record since graduating from college in '93.  I got offered the job from two of these interviews & the one I accepted is shift work with a large local acrylics manaufacturer.  This job, while not requiring a college degree or any real "professional" experience, will pay almost $30K/yr. better than the other offer I received to work with a commercial real estate company!

Sorry for the long post but I guess all I'm saying is to network with friends, family & acquaintences to find your next opportunity.  I read somewhere a statistic that only 3% of job applicants actually get a job from the assorted employment websites.  Also, be willing to expand what you're willing to do.  I never thought that I'd be excited about accepting a shift job being that my background includes institutional mainframe sales with IBM but I'd say there is no such thing as a narrow
career path any more.  This experience has humbled me in many ways & I'll never look down on a blue collar job ever again.

After being out of work for almost six months, I will say that the worst, crappiest job out there ain't near as bad as being out of work with a wife & 1 year old son to support.  Don't go quitting the job you have until you have been offered something else.  Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Only 30% of jobs are actually advertised.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I am finding NOTHING decent is posted public....I am trying to network myself.

Which ain't easy

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From what I am finding NOTHING decent is posted public....I am trying to network myself.

Which ain't easy

SGatr15

+ 1

And a lot of the really good positions (like the one I am being moved into) are not advertised at all and the companies use temp agencies to feel out prospective permenant employees.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]
update:

Job just got better.

It's amazing what an honest talk with the boss can do.

(God is better to me than I deserve....)

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top