Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 1:17:07 PM EDT
That pisses me off when there is no traffic and the speed limit is 65, they drive slower than that and especially when I pass them on the right lane, they suddenly can drive 85 now. WTF.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
They love to piss you off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Arrogance, stupidity, inconsideration.

THAT'S what causes people to do what you describe. I see it ALL THE TIME.

I know it takes a few seconds and a total of 10 calories to move over at let someone pass, but those jerks just ain't gonna do it.

Then you have the "I'm doing the speed limit, dammit, and I AIN'T moving over for ANYONE" crowd.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
NERF 'EM!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The only place I've ever seen where people don't do that is in California.  They pass, then immediately merge back into the slow lane, keeping the fast lane open.  It was the first time in my life people were actually driving like they're supposed to.

Here, it seems like people intentionally match up with a car in the slow lane, making it impossible for anyone to pass.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
they think it's they're own personal fucking lane

it's entirely too labor intensive to think about the other drivers on the road apparently.  i know i came THHHHHIS close to ramming some stupid cunt in the fast lane that wouldnt let me around her when i was trying to get my son to the EMERGENCY ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
They get a better phone signal in the left lane, stupid! Don't you know anything about driving?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]

After safely navigating around the "Keepers of the speed" slooowly drift left and
let your tires sling up the debris, gravel, etc. and then slowly drift back to proper lane
positioning. Then wash you windshield with your squirters.  All of this of course from a
safe distance. Never cut them off as that is dangerous and usually the slow drift left
into the loose stuff does it and for the slow learners the windshield cleaning nearly
always does the trick in a semi-nonconfrontational manner.  I drive quite a bit and
this also keeps one from getting bored on long trips.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
   After safely navigating around the "Keepers of the speed" slooowly drift left and
let your tires sling up the debris, gravel, etc. and then slowly drift back to proper lane
positioning. Then wash you windshield with your squirters.  All of this of course from a
safe distance. Never cut them off as that is dangerous and usually the slow drift left
into the loose stuff does it and for the slow learners the windshield cleaning nearly
always does the trick in a semi-nonconfrontational manner.  I drive quite a bit and
this also keeps one from getting bored on long trips.  

that is a great idea! i drive alot myself being in sales, i have a 2004 impala and it has over 55k miles on my company car already, good thing i get a new one at 60k!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I know some of the drivers you decsribe.

They say the left lane is smoother, not as rough as the right lane.

Danny

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That pisses me off when there is no traffic and the speed limit is 65, they drive slower than that and especially when I pass them on the right lane, they suddenly can drive 85 now. WTF.

Because among a few possibilities................

They are guarding "thier space" to keep you from cutting them off.

They are a lemming, and now that you are in front they are mimicking your driving.

They are keeping their speed by following other people.

Speedometer is broke, trying to read yours.

Letting their ego get into driving, and there is no way you are getting in front of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Poor lane discipline.  Thats one thing the Euros do better then us.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
They're incentive to buy a bigger, heavier truck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#14]
If Hitler got anything right, it was the German Autobahn. From what I've seen on the History Channel, on the speed limitless sections, the left lane is a passing lane only. When the right is not occupied, you must move into it. If you're faster, you pull into the left and pass. This is not just generally adhered to as a societal obligation, but the law. If you pass in the right lane, you'll likely receive a ticket if observed by the police. Very simple and efficient concept that obviously is lost among drivers here in the states. I'd definitely support adding this to driver's ed curriculum.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Almost as irritating as those d@#% SUV drivers that deliberately pull forward at intersections to block your view so that you cannot make a right on red.

wganz

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Almost as irritating as those d@#% SUV drivers that deliberately pull forward at intersections to block your view so that you cannot make a right on red.

wganz

+1

it sucks being in a little honda when a huge SUV pulls up and blocks everything.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Their Gay
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#19]
my dream is to drive a stolen H1 with mounted .50 cal and ram the mutha f-er from the left lane and ram others who cut me off too

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wganz

+1

it sucks being in a little honda when a huge SUV pulls up and blocks everything.

I have an F150 and have done this unintentionally before.  I usually roll down the passenger window or honk the horn once to get the attention of the driver in the smaller car, then will let him know when it's safe to go.  This is of course if there are cars behind me and I can't back up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Arrogance, stupidity, inconsideration.

In Germany, I think one can lose their license if they drive that way ...

Those inconsiderate jerks piss me off also.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I got behind one old guy yesterday on a two lane State Highway.  Speed limit is 55, he was going 25.  Taffic was backed up for miles behind me.  It is irritating has hell, but it isn't worth getting too upset over it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some states require slower traffic to move to the right and others don't.

Texas does.

But it is surely never enforced.

To credit, in half of Texas you don't see another car on the road, and in the other half you're stuck in gridlock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Pass them in the right lane.
Move to left lane.
Gradually slow down until they get pissed and move to right lane.
Accelerate back to desired speed.
Get into right lane when possible (to avoid being a hypocrite).

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Even notice how 95% of the drivers that like to use the left lane as their own personal 45mph jack-off space still have 'Kerry/Edwards' bumper stickers on their car?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#28]
It's all minivans who have no clue. I ride their ass if they are on the interstate. Nothing pisses me off more
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The only place I've ever seen where people don't do that is in California.  They pass, then immediately merge back into the slow lane, keeping the fast lane open.  It was the first time in my life people were actually driving like they're supposed to.

Really?  Damn.  What a novel idea.  That's how I drive all the time.  Too bad most people are too rude/stupid/insecure to do it.  

Here, it seems like people intentionally match up with a car in the slow lane, making it impossible for anyone to pass.

Yep, I get this on the drive home from work almost every day.  Some jackass parks in the left lane doing 60 (in a 65 where even the cops go 75).  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Even notice how 95% of the drivers that like to use the left lane as their own personal 45mph jack-off space still have 'Kerry/Edwards' bumper stickers on their car?

Yes, I notice this every day.  The county where I work split about equally between Bush & Kerry (Bush won by a small margin), but almost every time someone is driving like a jackass, I see a "Kerry/Edwards", "Defoliate the Bushes", "Bush lied/people died", etc bumper sticker.  It very rarely happens with "W" or "NRA" stickers.  Santa Fe is even worse (heavily Democrat).  It seems like none of the assholes down there can drive worth a damn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#31]
They didn't get that memo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I can not respond to this in the manner it deserves. my medication is starting to wear off and the wife doesn't think this is a safe topic......aw fuck it! people suck, they're stupid, don't know how to drive or are afraid to drive. not smart enough to remember slower traffic keep right or how about the left lane is a passing lane and/or emergency lane. if you want to "draw down" on somebody make it these idiots, I commute 100miles for work and deal with this all the fucking time!!! It's time to hunt the stupid.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I got behind one old guy yesterday on a two lane State Highway.  Speed limit is 55, he was going 25.  Taffic was backed up for miles behind me.  It is irritating has hell, but it isn't worth getting too upset over it.

That should be a loose your license offence right there.  You should be able to take him to court and force the removal of his ability to drive.  I'm not joking either.  If you can't bring yourself to drive at least 5-7 miles under the limit then you don't need to be on the road.  That's outrageous behavior to block miles of traffic because your ancient ass has to keep driving but you can't see, think, or react fast enough to feel safe driving more than 25 in a 55.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I admit I drive a little on the slow side.  I don't, however,  drive in the passing lane on multi-lane highways - unless I'm passing.   If  I  need to pass a slower vehicle I change lanes, pass the vehicle, and move back over as soon as I give that vehicle a solid 8-12 car lengths.   I dislike the left-lane cruisers as much as anyone else..even the ones driving FAST and not  moving back to the right when the road ahead is clear.

That being said,  I can't stand watching people tailgaiting slower vehicles.   There'll be JUST ONE IDIOT pacing the slow-lane going 60 mph.  But then TWELVE MORE IDIOTS will  bunch-up behind that guy and  drive one or two car lengths apart!  

Tailgating is what creates the un-safe condition, NOT the idiot in slow lane.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I admit I drive a little on the slow side.  I don't, however,  drive in the passing lane on multi-lane highways - unless I'm passing.   If  I  need to pass a slower vehicle I change lanes, pass the vehicle, and move back over as soon as I give that vehicle a solid 8-12 car lengths.   I dislike the left-lane cruisers as much as anyone else..even the ones driving FAST and not  moving back to the right when the road ahead is clear.

That being said,  I can't stand watching people tailgaiting slower vehicles.   There'll be JUST ONE IDIOT pacing the slow-lane going 60 mph.  But then TWELVE MORE IDIOTS will  bunch-up behind that guy and  drive one or two car lengths apart!  

Tailgating is what creates the un-safe condition, NOT the idiot in slow lane.

Good point.  I'm going to stop doing that.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Some states require slower traffic to move to the right and others don't.

In Illinois-it is illegal to drive in the left lane for more than 1/4 of a mile.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top