Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 3:39:00 PM EDT
Anyone own any?  If so, please post pictures.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but I'm from Pembroke, MA.  And I slept at a Holiday Inn last night. Does that count?

Just kidding.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
All my pictures are on paper and no scanner. are you thinking of getting one?
The wife and I used to breed Pembrokes back in the eighties, we gave it up because we didn't like most of the people who wanted to buy our dogs. the Pembrokes have no tail, it is docked at birth, and the Cardigans have tails.
The Welsh Corgihas to be one of the best pet dogs in the world, they are super smart and devoted to the family. All they want to do is make you happy,
I would take mine camping and hiking and they were great but they were just as happy hanging around the house with you. Think of a German Shepard in a 25 pound package, with stumpy legs of course.
That said I have to warn you thet they WILL get into trouble if left alone!, ours demolished a couch one day, another time  we came home to find two of them had stripped our bed, sheets and all and they were so proud of it when they met us at the door, it was actually pretty funny.
Health wise they are dwarfs so they are prone to hip and sholder problems, buy from a reputable dealer NOT a pet shop. They also get tooth fractures where one side of the molar comes off in a big flat flake.
I would suggest not getting one of them unless they have pretty much full time companionship. They do not do well when both persons work and even worse with a single owner. We had a few returns from people who loved the dog but they got into too much trouble while the owner was at work.

Do an image search fior tons of photos...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
We had a couple of them when I was a kid, loved them.

? for MotoGuzzi, how bad do they shed on a daily basis?  Our Pembrokes were outdoor dogs, so I dont remember how much hair let loose daily.  I do remember that they molted once or twice a year, and we had a hair rake to clean out the coat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a cardigan, its close... But not the same.
If you want to see pics, let me know I have a bunch of hi-res online.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
MOTOGUZZI is spot-on about Corgis.  We had one (RIP, little buddy) that we adopted from the pound.  He was a great dog, loyal, loving, stubborn (LOL) and just perfect.  Cardigan corgi/sheltie mix.  He never destroyed anything, though, but he had lots of cats to keep him company during the day.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Jack, They shed a lot!!
Some are really bad and shed a fur coat weekly, others are not so bad and will get by with a quick daily brushing.
Depemding on how hot it gets where you live it can get pretty bad but they are worth it.

P.S. Hold a puppy on it's back and tip it until the ears flop up to see how it will look when grown. Sort of fun to do.
      'Guzzi
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My brother has one. Really cute little dogs. They have a bark much larger than they are. His is a hyper spaz but he's only probably 9 months old, and he's mellowing out a bit over time.

+1 on them needing supervision...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]
My parents have one. She's a cuttie...and quite demanding for the attention.

She's also the boss of this 90lb guy

This is the second Corgi that they have had. I think that they are great dogs. Very friendly and very family oriented. The first one that they had lived for ten years. He got diabetes when he was about 8 years old while my parents were out of town. I went over to their house and he was real sick and about to die, so I took him to the vet. Needless to say it was quite an experience because they said I had to start giving him insulin shots! I was a little afraid that he would freak out on me, but he was very good about the shots and I think he knew that I saved his life by giving him the insulin. He really bonded to me after that. He died about a 2 years later, it was pretty sad.

I had a good friend that bought his sister and she lived for 15 years. We actually just found out a few weeks ago that she died.

They are great dogs. Beware, they are great hearding dogs and if you run they WILL chase you and get after your heels! I can remember when the neighbor kids would come running through the back yard and if the dog was out there he would have them rounded up into a little circle in no time flat. It was pretty funny to watch. They are pretty fearless for such short little dogs. I suppose they'd have to be working around cattle that are much larger than they are.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Good point about the herding instinct.

Wife and I took our dog (an 8 lb. Toy Poodle) to visit with my bro's Corgi. At first the dog just wanted to sniff her butt, but then when she would take off to try and explore a bit, he'd be right by her, herding her along. She HATED it!  

BTW best "herd dog" story I have is a family gathering at my mom's house with her good sized (~50 lb) Sheltie. There were probably 15 people standing about saying goodbye after the gathering was over and the Sheltie dutifully rounded us all up to the middle of the room. We didn't realize what was happening at first but all laughed when we did.

He also loves herding kids, never fails to crack us up.

Gotta love dogs.    They truly are Man's best friend.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 for the past 5-6 years..One is an older female (red and white) who is as docile and quiet as any dog I have ever had.  The younger male tricolor is hell on wheels (more typical). It was just me and my wife when we first got them so we had tons of time to spend on both. Now we have 3 kids under the age of 5 so the dogs have taken a back seat. I love them both but the only way I'd get more Corgis is if the kids were old enough and willing to take responsibility for them
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]
We have one. We love the little fuzz-butt. They do tend to blow their coats, though. You'll brush out enough hair to make one, or two more of them.
He has two expressions, extremely happy, or extremely concerned. They are herding (read: thinking) dogs. Imagine a German Shepherd, with cut-off legs. Sturdy, heavy, quick bastards, with moves like a half-back. Can cut on a dime. Hard to catch/corner if they think you're playing. Amazingly agile, they do well with agility training. Very loving, and can be vocal (sounds like a much larger dog). Good with children, but will try to herd them up. Our running joke is "He's only doing what the voices in his head are telling him". Needs exercise. Good dog, for the right (most) people.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
MOTOGUZZI is spot-on about Corgis.  We had one (RIP, little buddy) that we adopted from the pound.  He was a great dog, loyal, loving, stubborn (LOL) and just perfect.  Cardigan corgi/sheltie mix.  He never destroyed anything, though, but he had lots of cats to keep him company during the day.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/grey2112/SkipBeer1.jpg

Priceless!  I love it!  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top