Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 2:55:33 PM EDT
Listening to the radio on the way in this morning, they had one of those call-in quizes. "What year was it that Dallas spawned Knott's Landing, and Sally Ride became the first woman in space" (It's an 80's hour.. all the answers are 198X)

I thought... "Hang on..."

And made sure to listen again carefully the next time the question was asked, and sure enough, there was no 'American' in the question, leading me to believe that there is a small knowledge gap here. (Of course the true answer is 1963 by Colonel-Engineer Tereshkova, twenty years ahead of Sally Ride, but anyway)

I have heard that history classes (True or otherwise, I don't know) in the 60s never mentioned the Soviet Union before 1946 or so, when suddenly there was this great Red menace. Which then begs the question:

When the Soviets were winning the Space Race with Sputnik  and Gagarin, how was this reported in the West? Was it a case of "Calamity! The Reds are superior! We're all going to die!" or "Hooray for humanity, the species has taken a great step into the future", or maybe "Curse you slacking workers, this is a national embarassment, get your asses in gear and at least get to the Moon first." What was the general mood of the people?

NTM
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a case for...
GOOGLE!  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Back then, Russian women were men.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

actually they were East Germans, not Russian.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Sally Ride became the first AMERICAN woman in space on June 18, 1983, aboard STS-7 (Challenger's second flight).

I'm too young to remember much of the "Space Race", but I do remember my parents waking me up late at night on July 20, 1969 to watch Neil and Buzz walk on the moon.  I actually met all three Apollo 11 astronauts 20 years later in DC, and I shook hands with Neil Armstrong...that was
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually they were East Germans, not Russian.....

It must have been...what's the word...spectacular, if that word doesn't imply goodness.  I wonder how much East German men were valued after the GPW?  I wonder how shocking were the Soviet population comparisons between 1930 and 1945.  I wonder how many single mothers there were in the late 40s.  

A paranoid USSR was a very unfortunate thing for post-GPW-Mother-Russia.  I wonder if this is mentioned in Russia today.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When the Soviets were winning the Space Race with Sputnik  and Gagarin, how was this reported in the West? Was it a case of "Calamity! The Reds are superior! We're all going to die!" or "Hooray for humanity, the species has taken a great step into the future", or maybe "Curse you slacking workers, this is a national embarassment, get your asses in gear and at least get to the Moon first." What was the general mood of the people?

NTM

Well, we weren't really even trying at the time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I would tell you everything you want to know, but since I am ancient I can't remember.  

I, too, remember sitting up and watching the Apollo 11 moon landing that summer evening in 1969.  It was pretty heady stuff.  The USA was on top of its game, and we were THE kick-ass country in the world.

Times change.  Now we're a downtrodden debtor nation and the fabric of our society is unraveling with each passing day.  Our spacecraft blow up, our borders leak, our coffers empty into boats headed for the orient, and we continue to send thumb-sucking morons to Washington.

Damn, now I'm depressed.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I, too, remember sitting up and watching the Apollo 11 moon landing that summer evening in 1969.  It was pretty heady stuff.  The USA was on top of its game, and we were THE kick-ass country in the world.

+ 11,000,000,000,000

Our cars rocked too, none of this tin-can crap with thumpa thumpa rap blasting, just sweeeeet high-octane V8 music...

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Just think, Eric.  Back in 1946 your ar15.com post count was zero.  Imagine that.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Great post Eric!! Churchill was a freaking genius!  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone find the video of Buzz Aldrin decking the "moon landing hoax" conspiracy nut who stalked him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
It wasn't just in the 60's try finding a teacher these days that will teach that the Soviets killed 20 million of their own people before WW2.

The Space Race was awesome to be around though.  I grew up in So Cal where a lot of the aerospace companies were, JPL, Vandenberg, the X-15, etc  all the Mercury, Gemini, and Appollo shots.  There was always some kid whose Father would bring a piece of spacecraft or other neat stuff to school.  The carriers that went out for the recoveries were down in Long Beach and would have Sunday visiting, and you could sit in the helos you saw picking up the capsules.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It wasn't just in the 60's try finding a teacher these days that will teach that the Soviets killed 20 million of their own people before WW2.

Forget teachers!

Try telling jimb100 that Stalin murdered more than 596,000 Russian citizens from 1928 until his death in 1953!

He got that bit of info from a KGB report and hasn't let it go since!

BTW, don't try telling him that Alexander Solzhenitsyn, the great Russian dissident and patriot, who claims 60 million dead Russians by Stalin's hand, knows what he's talking about!

That fellow spent too long in a Soviet gulag to know the 'true facts.'

Eric The(Amazing!)Hun

Where is jimb100 represented in this thread?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is jimb100 represented in this thread?

What?

He needs an attorney?

If you're asking where his views are represented in this thread, they are similar to those strange views that PaDanby was referring to, above.

You know, those folks who don't like talking badly about the Evil Empire!

Any other questions?

I'll be happy to help you understand this point, and others!

Eric The(Historical)Hun

To me, it seems uncouth to [negatively] express another person's opinion in a thread, especially where he/she isn't even involved.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This is a case for...
GOOGLE!  

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#22]
IMlessthanHO, it's important to call attention to our enemies' apologists whenever we see an opportunity.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top