Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:18:42 AM EDT
So what do you guy's think of Kel-tecs? The P32 to be exact? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't realy think of them, ever.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't realy think of them, ever.

Not till I read this thread.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Since they are not approved for sale in the Caliban (not tested) I'd like one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I gave my P38T a 'fluff and buff' while it was still new in the box and haven't had a any problems with it.  Got about 300rds through it with only a couple of failures to feed.

It's a handful though.  You're not going to be putting several boxes of ammo through it in one sitting.

Ed

Edited to add:

One of the reasons that the Keltec is so inexpensive, is that they do not take the time to hand fit everything. Doing a 'fluff & buff' is very important. It takes less than an hour and when done, the gun is extremely reliable. See Keltec owner's group website for details.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a P32 that I carry concealed on occassion. It is VERY easy to conceal. Accuracy is what's to be expected for a tiny gun. I've put only about 70 rounds thru it, but I had no hiccups.

If you get one, spring for the 10 round mag. It extends the lenght of the handle, making it much easier to pull from the waistband and it makes it a bit more pleasant to shoot.

BTW, it is extremely light too, I think it's 9ounces or something. If you use it as a carry weapon, you'll just about forget you have it on ya.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Got one.  Love it.

www.ktog.org/
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your planned use.

For a cheap little plinker: You could do worse.

For a gun that you might possible use to defend your life: Pretty useless.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
i like my .380 (just barely bigger than the .32) but it has a wicked little kick and whip...it's inaccurate as hell beyond 20 feet (NOT meters!) but very reliable.

light as a feather and easily concealed in the front pocket of a pair of jeans.

there've been several other threads on this here if you can do a search.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
correction it weighs 6.6 oz.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Honestly you would be better off with a small revolver or a sub-compact Glock.  I have shot a Kel-tec and I hated its long trigger pull.  The one that I shot also had problems feeding.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Honestly you would be better off with a small revolver or a sub-compact Glock.  I have shot a Kel-tec and I hated its long trigger pull.  The one that I shot also had problems feeding.

True, but only because of the larger caliber you could carry with a revolver or glock. However, if you're looking for the ultimate concealment gun, this is it.
Load it with hollows and a ten round mag--then aim for his head.

Most encounters where your going to need to defend yourself are going to be within touching distance anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but only because of the larger caliber you could carry with a revolver or glock. However, if you're looking for the ultimate concealment gun, this is it.

Most encounters where your going to need to defend yourself are going to be within touching distance anyway.

MOST encounters are not my area of concern. Worst cases are. While all pistol are marginal when it comes to stopping an attacker, you should carry something 9mm or bigger.

Hope for the best, but prepare and train for the worst.

I carry a Kahr PM9 with me everywhere I go (where legal). A bit bigger and heavier that the P32, but a quantum leap in capability. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or aim for the groin area.  Isn't that supposed to be a great area to hit to cause massive bleeding.  Sorry for the hi-jack.  I have the .380, but have not shot it yet.  It will be my summer gun when I'm dressed to light to conceal my G27, unless I decide to carry the Glock open.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a P32, and have no complaints.  Ammo selection is important... it doesn't like lighter loads, like Winchester, CCI Blazer or Aguilla.  Stick to S&B for cheap practice, and Cor-bon for carry.  At first, I kinda wished I had waited for the .380 version to come out, but I've heard reliability horror stories regarding those.  It's slim and light, and easy to forget that it's in your waistband with the factory belt clip.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]

I have a P32. It is good for what it
is: a deep concelment handgun for
situations in which you don't/can't
carry a larger framed handgun.

I figure that if seven rounds of .32
delivered COM at close range is not
going to deter someone, then I am
probably fucked anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot three brand new ones in a row....they are by far the worst pistol I have ever used and you are a fool to put your life in it's hands.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Great feedback! thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or aim for the groin area.  Isn't that supposed to be a great area to hit to cause massive bleeding.  Sorry for the hi-jack.  I have the .380, but have not shot it yet.  It will be my summer gun when I'm dressed to light to conceal my G27, unless I decide to carry the Glock open.

Dr. Gary Roberts has an interesting story about a guy in the Navy shot through the pelvis by a .50 BMG round. He jumped around for a bit, then had to be restrained from attacking the guy who had accidentally shot him. He fully recovered. Since the .50 BMG is a bit more powerful than a .32 ACP, I believe I would opt for a head shot if COM shots failed to end the encounter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one and have shot it probably 100 rounds. Not so much as a hiccup with it either. Fed fine, although do not expect match accuracy out of it, then again that is not what it was designed for. Obviously, a larger caliber weapon would be better, but for those that do not have that option it is very concealable. There are many good pocket holsters for it that do not outline it in your pocket. Remember this, the Kel-Tec in your pocket is better than the .44 Magum back home on your dresser.

ETA. I shoot Winchester silver tips through mine and they feed just fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a P32 & a P11 - both have never given any trouble w/ any ammo I've fed them - magtech, silvertips, hydra-shok, regular ball ammo, etc... . I have several hundred rounds through the p32 and a couple of thousand through the P11.  P32 trigger pull is fairly long but light, P11 is long & heavy.  Accuracy with both of mine is pretty good (better w/ the P11 - it's as accurate as my g30 was).

I've never had any work done on either, and never took the time to fluff & buff them (although I may try to smooth out the P11s trigger pull someday).  I'm pretty happy w/ both of them for ccw.

Sam
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#21]
My main carry piece is a KelTec P11 (9mm) due to its concealability.

Naturally, I won't accept less than 100% reliability from a defensive firearm.

My main points on KTs:

1. It's not a SiG, so don't compare it to one.  It's not an $800 handgun, so don't expect it to be.

2. It may need some fluff & buff.  When mine was new it fed FMJ all day long, but with JHPs I'd get 3 FTFs in a 10-rd mag.  After a visit to the message boards at www.ktog.org I polished the feed ramp.  It has been 100% with every type of ammo I've put through it since then.

3. Practice, practice, practice.  The KT has a long, DA trigger pull.  I practice using snap caps and my finger "knows" how to squeeze that trigger.  Shortly after I got it I scored 49/50 qualifying in my CWP class.  A friend tried shooting it and couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn if he was standing inside it.  Why?  He was trying to slooooooooowly creep the trigger back.  

If you're looking at a KT, just be aware of what you are getting and what you're not.  

My P11 has earned my trust.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I carry the P32 when I run because it's so darn light and flat, otherwise I feel better about it being a backup to a bigger caliber. Only reasonable application is an up close head shot. I've had pretty much no problems with the gun.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry my P32 quite often. Usually in a backup position, but sometimes, while mowing the lawn and such, it is my primary. I have fired approximately 500 rounds through mine with no problems. Not very accurate past about 10 yards, but for up close it is adequate. I carry it in a Fobus paddle holster on my strong side and you can't even tell it is there. I train with it by drawing and firing with one hand at close range as quickly as possible. It is suprising the groups that you can get at close range with the P32, but like I said before, it really opens up at anything resembling distance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Sub-2000 in Glock 9mm, does that count?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I just don't trust automatics without a manual safety so no Kel-tecs or Glocks for me, I like to see a red dot and lever/button. I also prefer to have an external hammer and decocker function if possible. I personally don't like the trigger pull on DA/hammerless pistols. In that same price range a Bersa Thunder .380 is extremely reliable and doesn't have to be tweaked out of the box just to make it feed or extract. If I was in the market for a good reliable pocket gun or backup I would go with a small double barrel derringer in .38 special or 9mm like those available from Cobra Arms, can be had for $100 or less in some cases. I have just heard about to many problems with the Kel-tecs to trust my life with it, but that is just my meaningless opinion and should be discarded and ignored
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I like my P3AT for what I bought it for:

a backup gun
something small to carry when I can't carry anything else

I don't want to rely on it as my ONLY CCW gun, but it has it place and purpose.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#27]
My buddy bought one, he loves it, I on the other hand thought it looked, felt & functioned like somebody in a third world country manufactured it on a stone. The trigger pull is an atrocity & abomination to all other firearms. If you can afford better by waiting another month & saving please do so.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Its not a factor of money I just love how small and light it is. As far as trigger pull, I've experianced triggers on alot of snub nose revolvers that are heavier. I'm just intrigued by the size.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a P-32.  Good little gun.  Never had a feed or jam problem with about 300 rounds through it.  It will run ball or hollow points.  I have done nothing more than shoot and clean it.  

It’s the gun I carry when I am not carrying.  

The grip is solid and surprisingly comfortable for its size.  

I have no holster, only the slide clip.  It’s light enough to clip in my shorts and go running.  Can’t do that with my Glock26.  There is no end to the places I can conceal it.

IMO it’s the perfect gun for low threat, deep concealment.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Get the P-3AT.  The difference in size is a couple of milimeters and hardly detectable.

It doesn't get any better than this for deep concealment.  It's about half the size/weight of the KAHR 9mm, so you can't even compare them.  And even though the 9mm is a more powerful round, the .380 is not far behind.  You've got 7 rounds.  A well place shot, and you only need 1.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what do you guy's think of Kel-tecs? The P32 to be exact? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Junk that I refuse to sell anymore. No better than Bryco or Jennings.

For the first several months and a few 100 rounds through my p3at, I disagreed with bigbore here on his assesment.

Half a year later, I agree with him... shame on me, I'm a slow learner.  

There is a lot I like about the gun, but reliability is NOT one of it's attributes.

After break-in, fluff and buff and tweaking, it ran 100% through three mags consecutive for about 4 months straight.  Call it wear or what have you, now it's maybe 90% through 1 mag and 75% through a set of three.  

Those aren't the kind of numbers for a carry piece.

Still a fun gun though, but consider a G26 or a S&W 642 UltraLight for carry.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a P11 that I carry inside the pants in a Vega holster.  Easy to conceal, ZERO failures in several hundred rounds of mixed ammo.  I like the long, smooth, stiff pull of the trigger, the last thing that I want is an accidental discharge in a tense situation.   The DAO is a good system in that you don't have to be concerned about a safety (same as a DA revolver), but it will only go bang when you intend for it to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've got a Sub-2000 in Glock 9mm, does that count?

Same here.  Eats hollowpoints all day, and quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection.

A great rifle to fit easily into a pack folded in half.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a P32 and have put > 500 rounds through it. Other than some FTF with hard primer S&B FMJ, I have had no failures. Excellent pocket gun.

These days I'd get the P3AT.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
bersa thunder mag floor plates fit keltec mags perfectly and give you a MUCH better grip.
mike

+1

It makes a HUGE difference for only $5 per mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top