Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 5:21:48 AM EDT
Does California actually carry out the death penalty?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Theoretically...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm hoping they stick with it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope bubba tells him what a purdy mouth he has first...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]
i sure hope so
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think he will ever be executed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Don't think he will have a chance. Death row is not like general population.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The death sentence is pretty much symbolic here. I will probably be dead first. There is an lenghty and endless automatic appeals process put in place by the anti-death penalty legislature of yore. Plus only a few lawyers are willing to taking these cases because of the low pay and extremely long duration. He probably won't even have an attorney assigned to him for at least 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
California has executed 11 people in the past 27 years.

Scott Petersen will most likely die of old age, or a shiv wound.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, there have been 11 people executted in CA since 1992, the most recent being Beardslee in Jan. of this year.

See here for details:  www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/getexecdata.php
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I visited Alcatraz National Park/former prison in the middle of San Francisco Bay a few years back, and it even as a tourist, it is not a fun place to be. And that is as close to prison as I ever want to get. Scott is will be there for the rest of natural life.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually, there have been 11 people executted in CA since 1992, the most recent being Beardslee in Jan. of this year.

See here for details:  www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/getexecdata.php

California reinstated the death penalty in 1977. They just never got around to executing anyone until 1992.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, would have been nice if they'd have put him in the general population for a few months first.
As is, he'll be in lock down 22 hrs a day, I think is what they said. Not much chance he'll get what he deserves.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey, that still leaves 2 hours a day for someone to make him their bitch.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  I think they'll grease the skids for this POS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It will be 20 years before justice is carried out on that POS. What a f-ed up legal system we have sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to work in Sausalito and had to drive past San Quentin frequently.

Scary, spooky place.

A company I worked for had a maintenence contract there and the techs that had to go there fucking hated it.

He deserves it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#17]
There's just something wrong with a system that will keep this guy alive and well fed in prison for lord knows how long until all the bureaucratic nonsense has been played out.  During this time, he'll most likely earn a college degree or 2, and get the kind of buff body that we all dream of but could never get because we don't have the time to devote to it.  Well, now it seems he's got plenty of time on his hands, doesn't it?

I think if you get the death penalty sentence, then it should be done that day or the next.  None of this death row bullcrap.  Get it over with and save the taxpayers money.  What's the annual cost of keeping someone on death row?  I'm sure someone can spew the number....

OK, sure...maybe once in a blue moon they actually kill someone and find out he really didn't do it 20 years later.   I never said there weren't holes in my ideas...

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but a prison guard might "accidentally"  leave a cell door open.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I visited Alcatraz National Park/former prison in the middle of San Francisco Bay a few years back, and it even as a tourist, it is not a fun place to be. And that is as close to prison as I ever want to get. Scott is will be there for the rest of natural life.

How does San Quentin compare to Alcatraz?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does San Quentin compare to Alcatraz?

Never been to San Quentin, that is a real life prison for real bad guys. I just went to Alcatraz as a tourist on vacation with my family. Alcatraz ihas held many of the hardened criminals of yesteryear, such as the Bird Man of Alcatraz. According to the tour guides this guys was really evil. Nothing like the movie or book. It is also know as the "Rock." Only 2 people has actually escaped from there, but they never found the bodies.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#21]
3 people escaped from the "Rock" Morris and the 2 Anglen brothers. Bodies never found. You would think by now someone would have seen/heard of them somewhere if they made it.

Scott Peterson will never see the outside of those walls. Alive or dead, he's Kalifornias burden now, that POS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
3 people escaped from the "Rock" Morris and the 2 Anglen brothers. Bodies never found. You would think by now someone would have seen/heard of them somewhere if they made it.

Scott Peterson will never see the outside of those walls. Alive or dead, he's Kalifornias burden now, that POS.

Nah, they're hangin' with DB Cooper...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#23]
they said Peterson will probably never eat his meals with another person ever again, they must eat in their cells.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
they said Peterson will probably never eat his meals with another person ever again, they must eat in their cells.

He shouldn't even get meals.  Ever.  Again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He shouldn't even get meals.  Ever.  Again.

Now daisy, that's cruel and unusual punishment.
After all, it's not like he's a criminal. He's the victim here.
Everyone behind bars is a victim.

Just ask the Libs, they'll tell you all about the troubled childhood they all had, abusive parents, poor education that led them into a life of poverty and drugs, petty theft because they have no money to eat because they can't geta  job, and Bush caused it all.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#26]
All he wanted was a hug
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a talk with my mom about this when I read an article theorizing about wheter he will die.  

California has a death penalty but they don't carry it out that often.

It's likely that he will die before the People's Republik of California does it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
His conviction will be most likely be overturned on appeal and they will retry him or offer him a plea to a lower charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top