Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 10:27:21 PM EDT
I wanna get a load bearing vest type setup to hold extra mags, rangefinder...etc crap.  But I dont want to look like a fake ass Rambo with a SWAT patch on the shoulder that looks like it came off ebay- you know the type.

Is there a functional, lowkey and respectable shooters vest out there?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
get a military LBV, they have a pistol belt and  you can attach all sorts of crap too them, i like the locations of the mags.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Cabelas had one calleed the outfitter series vest that didn't have 49 1/2 pockets on it. I don't think they carry it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
watch heat.....then copy.  they got the good stuff.  Heat pretty much teaches you anything you could ever wanna know about anything...ever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope. If you're looking at clothing for gun guys, your choices are "I am a wannabe Marine" and "I have a CCW. Shoot me first!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cabelas had one calleed the outfitter series vest that didn't have 49 1/2 pockets on it. I don't think they carry it anymore.

Duh. I thought you needed a concealment vest. So sorry
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
there's always the 5.11 vest
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nope. If you're looking at clothing for gun guys, your choices are "I am a wannabe Marine" and "I have a CCW. Shoot me first!"

LMAO...no kidding, damn good quote
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell us exactly what kind of gear you want to carry.

How many magazines & type of weapon they are for.
Size and model of range finder.
Other stuff you want to carry with you.

I may be able to give you some suggestions
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

OK...well I need to haul around 4 to 6, RPG-22 rocket propelled grenades and some chapstick
J/k

4-6 30nd AR mags

2-3 .45 mags

laser rangefinder

chapstick

gps

and an extra crap pocket
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#11]
5.11 Vest.  You cant beat it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
5.11 Vest.  You cant beat it.

yea Im looking at one of those right now so far I think it will work.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK...well I need to haul around 4 to 6, RPG-22 rocket propelled grenades and some chapstick
J/k

4-6 30nd AR mags

2-3 .45 mags

laser rangefinder

chapstick

gps

and an extra crap pocket

LOL....

I was about to tell you to buy a bed sheet, turban, pair of sandals, and a goat skin back pack

My first vote would be for the 5.11 vest "if" you main concern is having a very small chance of someone thinking you are a pretend Rambo. You can wear this anywhere, and just load it up when you are going out.

I have one in OD green and one in tan. My wife is kind of picky about clothes, and she told me "that is a neat vest" when I brought it home. I am a gun nut and she had no idea what it was.

After explaining to her what it was, she told me "It just looks like some kind of Safari or photographers vest."

You can comfortably carry everything you have listed and a WHOLE lot more if needed.

This will work perfect for what you described, my only concern might be the range finder size. If it is a small compact model, it should be no problem.

Pros:
Does not turn too many heads

Looks like normal clothing

Will carry everything you have listed with mucho room to spare

Cons:
Heavier stuff like the mags will be swinging all over the place if you are walking or hiking around.

Mags are not really held in place rigidly (may not be an important factor - but you are going to have some rattling around in your pockets)

The vest will become "front heavy" loaded like this and pull on the back of your neck. I tried it real quick before posting this (I do not have a range finder, so I used a compact binocular)

May not fit well over thick outerwear (depending on the size you buy the vest in)

My next suggestion would be a lightweight modular tac-vest from Tactical Tailor. This vest has two large inside "breast" pockets (secured by Velcro) to hold papers, folded up targets, maps, gloves, wallets...etc.

It is covered in pals webbing so you can just add the pouches you need, put them where you want, and add/remove them as desired.

As long as you just put pouches on that you need, I do not think you would look like a "wanabee poser" at all.

Here is what you would need:

(2) - Three Mag Rifle Pocket - with cinch cord to tighten up the pouch if you are only carrying one or two instead of 3). This way you only have two pouches hanging in front (the will just look like pockets ), not 6 or more like a "fake ass Rambo".

(1)- Triple pistol mag holder. This comes with Velcro covers that can be attached, or tucked in behind the magazine so the magazine is easily accessible for quick removal. The pouches have stiff nylon inserts to keep the mags firmly in place

(1)- Zippered utility pouch - just the right size for your rangefinder?

(1)- Modular strobe / compass pouch - My Garmin e-Trex fits perfectly

(1)- Multi purpose pouch to hold your chap stick and other stuff. I keep a first aid kit, back up compass, Otis cleaning kit/broke shell extractor/small screw driver/Nitrolon/extra batteries for my Aimpoint in it. There is room for a little more still

(You could stick some Velcro on the chap stick tube and attach to your vest, and dummy cord it to a D ring ...joking...I could not resist )

Pros: fully adjustable for girth and ride height. You easily wear this over a warm jacket, or snug it up to fit with just a T-shirt on.

Very comfortable and light weight, and breathable (it is made of super tough mesh)

You can put as many, or as few pouches that you want on it. The "Rambo" vests to me are the ones with a bazillion pockets everywhere that you just don’t need (unless you in LE or the Military)

Comes with "keeper straps" so you can anchor the vest to a belt for even better stability. If you did not want these, or plan on never using them you could just cut them off.

Cons:
May look a little "too tactical" for your tastes?

If you do not like Black, OD, and Tan...you are out of luck unless you want to spray paint it. This could be considered a pro - as you can give it a custom camo job if you want

Hope this helps

I have a set up very similar to this I may sell - IM me if you like
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Here you go, very hush hush and low key.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Check your NRA catalog.  They have some very presentable rigs that don't make you appear to be a lameass Airsofter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
watch heat.....then copy.  they got the good stuff.  Heat pretty much teaches you anything you could ever wanna know about anything...ever.

LOL  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here you go, very hush hush and low key.

us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/babyultimate_1837_12193077

Now that is funny...You crazy  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I got an "safari" vest from Cabelas. I think I put 10-12 AR mags in it one time when I was at an outdoor range.  Looks like a photographers vest and is real handy.   The 5.11 vest is also real nice. Made more for guns and stuff and has waterbottle pockets (I think) which is a good feature.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]
The problem with the more subdued shooters vests like the 5.11 is that 6 AR mags = ~6lbs. This basically acts like a big pendulum at the bottom of the vest and causes the mags to swing around as you move.

Blackgun_Fun gave a pretty good rundown of the pros and cons. If you want to carry around a lot of shooting gear inconspicuously then it looks like the Lightfighter pack and the various 5.11-style shooting vests are your only choice. If you use it on the range or for competition, go with a dedicated vest using molle webbing and you'll be a lot happier in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top