Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 1:12:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going to get alot of religious responses from people devoted to one brand or another, based on unsubstantiated claims or - at best - anectodal evidence.

My answer? Buy something that does what you want, is relatively modern, and priced right. ALL manufacturers have models that have failed somebody. I've had good an bad luck with all of them. I currently own a Dell Inspiron 2600 and an IBM ThinkPad R51. Both have worked flawlessly. I KNOW somebody is going to chime in and say that one of these sucks and you shouldn't buy one. There's didn't work very well. Mine did.

Buy something you like. The brand isn't as important as people let on, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Dell refurb, best bang for the $$

eBay has some good deals,.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Am I the only guy in the world who has never bought or sold anything on Ebay?

I think Osama Bin Laden hasn't made the leap yet, but I could be wrong. My 2 year old daugter has yet to sell anything on Ebay, but we're getting there.

Don't feel bad if you haven't. It's no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I work with laptops on a daily basis, Dell Latitude D600's, Dell Inspiron 2650's, and Compaq EVO N180's.  In the last year alone, I would have to say I've deployed about 150 D600's to nurses, doctors, counselors, Home Health Aides, executives, etc.  Out of the 3 models that we use, I would really prefer that all the HHA's use either the Inspirons or Compaq's cuz I've seen some D600's come back with shattered frames and/or monitors.  Yes they drop them off the top of their car on accident which ticks me off.  But as far as the executives and our physicians, I don't give them anything unless it's a D600.  They all usually get Docking Stations along w/ them.  I personally like the Latitude D600 over most models even though I wouldn't mind throwing some Alienwares out in the field.  LOL  

But the best bang for your buck, and best warranties in my extensive experience and in my opinion has always been with the Dell's.  I myself have a D600 and I've never been sorry for it.  The new model that has just been released by Dell is the Dell Latitude D610.  Here's a link to the Latitude Page.

Good luck in your search.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Am I the only guy in the world who has never bought or sold anything on Ebay?

no
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
www.alienware.com

Best you can buy for the money.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy what you like and what you can afford. Once you have it though, establish a backup routine and follow it religiously, just in case. 5 years service out of a laptop is pretty good, actually. Don't expect the replacement to last that long.

I'm banging this out on a Dell Inspiron 8100. Great computer, but HEAVY!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top