Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2001 2:42:59 PM EDT
I was looking at blade tech holsters but need some q? answered please.
1 was is the difference from belt, paddle or IWB holsters?
2 does any of the above have an advantage over the  other?
3 can you suggest any other brands $50-70 range?
4 what mag holder is best double or two singles?
thanks,
BALOO
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
bump!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
come on guys! not one person here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi Baloo,

Let's see if I can answer a few of your questions. I'm real new to the AR game, but know a fair amount about pistols and CCW.

- paddle: usually rides outside the belt, often with the ability to take it off easily via a "paddle" which slips inside the pants. supposed to be popular with LEO who ride a desk often.

- belt or OWB: (outside the waist band) just as the name implies

- IWB: inside the waistband. usually the most concealable way to carry a midsized and up pistol. Conceals better than the previous two methods (because the body of the pistol is in your pants, usually behind your hip). For example, I carry a glock 23 in a bladetech IWB, and it works great for me.

You didn't say which type of gun. Bladetech makes holsters for most popular pistols, all out of kydex. Glockers tend to prefer sidearmor, who also makes kydex holsters, but only for glocks and 1911 models. both are excellent, I have 1 of each, and frankly don't see much practical difference. both are great companies to deal with...

BTW - I've had a number of leather holsters for years, and while nothing is as classy as a nice leather holster (mitch rosen and kramer make really nice ones), if you're serious about carrying day in and day out, kydex is cheaper, conceals better (thinner), doesn't scuff up the gun, lasts forever, cleans up with dishwashing soap, is cheaper, and retains the gun and allow presentation more easily. All in all, if you're starting out, and are focused on the practical aspect, kydex is really a no brainer.

www.sidearmor.net
www.blade-tech.com

Having said that, I'll be the first to admit a custom 1911 in a nice Mitch rosen is the sweetest carry rig known.

As far as mag holsters, 2 singles allow more options in terms of placement. Depends on why kind of mags, many 1911 mags come in doubles, due to the small mag cap (7/8).

let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
paddle holsters are easy to get on and off. that also means someone can take your weapon
belt holsters are secure, your weapon comes out, not the holster

IWB holstes are the most concealable

Mag carriers, carry as much ammo as you can stand. running out of ammo is an unacceptable reason for dying
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
if you really want an inexpensive Kydex holster you might look at the new Uncle Mikes kydex. I bought 1 for my Beretta, you can not beat it for 20 bucks
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I should have read the title of your post.IDPA holster? BELT HOLSTER
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
BALOO,

As long as your not one of the 15%ers (lefties) like me, I agree with eljay.  Uncle mike's kydex or fobus is the best and least expensive way to go.  Advantage to uncle mike's is it has tention adjustments.  I own a bladetech and I wouldn't recommend them for one big reason: they are overpriced and they express no warranty of any kind.  Fobus=lifetime and Uncle Mike's is the same I think.  Use belt or paddle.  I've never liked IWB.  Mag hostlers are difficult to say.  I'd probably say two singles for more flexibility.  Check out www.mdrc-idpa.org.  I'm the poor sap in 15th one month and 11th the next.  Email me if you have any other questions regarding IDPA.
Good luck,
Dan SS ESP 1911a1 9mm
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Baloo,

WRT holster selection, you have an idea of the pro's and con's of each type of holster you mentioned.

if you're not going to carry concealed outside of IDPA gaming, then an OWB holster is a bit easier to draw from.

If however, you use IDPA as "practice" for what you use / perform on the street, you should go with the same holster as you carry in.

I found with a little bit of practice with an IWB, I felt I was safe and fast enough. An OWB might be a touch faster (maybe) but very few people who carry concealed use an OWB, as it doesn't conceal...

For more discussion on this, I'd suggest going to glocktalk.com, and looking under the carry topics forum. Tons of good stuff there.

YMMV.
good luck,
Francis
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the belt.  It is a bit easy to use.  Try to double check the IDPA website for approved holsters with the lighting cut.  The match officials here get a bit picky with the approve equipment list.  The single mag pouch gives you some flexablity when using your ccw gear.  The double mag pouch is a bit easy for response.  I think if your are looking for other kydex holsters only.  There is an article in the rescent GW/LW on kydex manufactors.  Mad Dog, 999, and Shunk works are some of the few.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I like these due to the suede lining.
[url]http://www.hellwegltd.com/[/url]

But, I have a carbon fiber
pattern Blade Tech
that took a whopping three days
to arrive after ordering it!!!
Just keep kydex free of grit so you don't
scratch your finish while
practicing your draw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top