Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2001 2:10:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I`m surprised more nighttime accidents aren`t reported.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
We should all remind ourselves that freedom is not free.  Even doing the training to accomplish certain tasks is dangerous in the military.  If this had been a private company/organization the U.S. and state OHSA(Office of Occupation Health & Safety) would have been all over them.  This not a game like the recruiting commericials on television.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
How can they hit each other if one is sitting on the ground. it doesn't make any sense to me.

Are they saying they hit once the first hawk smashed into the ground?
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It makes plenty of sense if you've ever flown a helicopter with NVGs on.  Nearly all NVG accidents are pilot error.  That's a hard thing to stomach, especially for us pilots, but it's the truth.  You make one minor mistake under goggles that would be of no concern in the daylight, and you're dead.  

I spent over 6 years flying UH-1H's in the Army.  I know nothing about this accident, but I've seen plenty others myself.  In all the instances where I almost bought the farm, all of them were at night.  In all of the accidents where buddies of mine were killed, all were at night.  See a pattern developing here?  It is dangerous, and it is neccesary because combat is dangerous.  The only thing that makes it less dangerous is more training.

Since I know nothing about the accident, I'll go out on a limb and guess what happened.  Since all the dead are on one aricraft, I would guess that one of the hawks landed on the other, or hit it in such a way to have the same result.  Usually when all the dead are in one aircraft it's because that one was in a less survivable postion than the other.  In midairs where both come down and crash, there's usually dead in both.  The Blackhwak's pitch angle on approach is really steep.  I mean you flare really nose high when you land.  High enough that you can't see in front of you and you have to look out the side window to maintain control of the aircraft.  My guess is as the lead touched down, the following aricraft flared and lost visual contact with the lead aricraft and simply landed on top of them.  This is only a guess, and in no way backed by any kind of evidence.  Sure I shouldn't be guessing, and there are a hundred other ways it could of happened that are just as likely.  The above is ment to show just how it could possibly happen.  There could have been a mechanical failure, but as I said, generally speaking when there is a collision under goggles, it's pilot error.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top