Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2005 9:49:23 AM EDT
http://wtsp.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=11543

Hernando teacher’s aide charged with having sex with boy

Inverness, Florida - A 35-year-old central Florida teacher’s aide is under arrest on charges she had sex with a 15-year-old male student.

Citus County sheriff’s officials say Hernando resident Tammy Lee Huggins told detectives she had sex with the Citrus High School student 15 to 20 times since December. She was charged with lewd and lascivious battery on a child.

She resigned Monday after she finished teaching a class. She was a jobs coach and helped students get work with local businesses.

Detectives interviewed several witnesses who said they saw Huggins and the boy having sex. The boy confirmed the relationship to investigators.

Huggins was jailed on 15-thousand dollar bond.
Inverness is about 60 miles north of Tampa.

How come there aren't any lawsuits against the public school system coming out of this?  Where's the multi-million dollar settlements?  What has the NEA said about all of this if anything.  This has to be at least the dozenth case I've heard in the last few months.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Rule No. 1 for trial lawyers:  don't sue poor people, people without insurance, or governmental agencies possessing sovereign immunity.

BTW, studies have shown that pedaphiles gravitate to any area where young victims can be found, whether it is in the priesthood, Baptist youth group, Boy Scouts, or any educational institution.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]

First it was the Catholic Church's priests, now it's Public School's teachers.

One of the local morning radio personalities has been saying something to this effect for a couple of years now. He makes a point of reading every news story he can find about teachers exploting/molesting their students. He has a theory that most of these cases involve teacher/coaches who work with students in an athletic capacity. So far according to the news stories he doesn't seem too far off.

Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#3]
It's been everywhere for a long time. The main difference is the media, particularly the internet, which have allowed the communication to take place to both give kids the courage to speak up and people the opportunity to find out about it. In years past these would have been local issues covered up locally. Others would not have found out and would have been afraid to speak up.

However, I don't equate statutory consentual rape between student and teacher with the attacks that went on in the Catholic church.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]
OK OK maybe it's because I was a young boy once BUT............ to me there is a world of difference between a crusty old man tricking an 8 year old boy into relations, and a 15 year old boy doing it to a hot over 18 female!! Like that teacher in Seattle. I don't see why we as a society can't seem to differntiate between different sex acts??!! A little boy can have things done to him by a man against his will, But there is nothing a 30 YO woman can do to a Teenage boy that he does'nt want happen to him!!! Am I taking crazy pills here??? In fact I would'nt be suprised if the kid fesses up to the police simply because he does'nt realise anything was wrong. Either that or they probably threatened him with some BS lie like "oh yeah unless you tell us what happened you're sure to get expelled!" The rest of the world laughs at our stupid puritan moralism!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]

First it was the Catholic Church's priests, now it's Public School's teachers.

Been both for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
There are lawsuits.

Just because the media doesnt beat it into the ground doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
http://wtsp.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=11543

Hernando teacher’s aide charged with having sex with boy

Inverness, Florida - A 35-year-old central Florida teacher’s aide is under arrest on charges she had sex with a 15-year-old male student.

Citus County sheriff’s officials say Hernando resident Tammy Lee Huggins told detectives she had sex with the Citrus High School student 15 to 20 times since December. She was charged with lewd and lascivious battery on a child.

She resigned Monday after she finished teaching a class. She was a jobs coach and helped students get work with local businesses.

Detectives interviewed several witnesses who said they saw Huggins and the boy having sex. The boy confirmed the relationship to investigators.

Huggins was jailed on 15-thousand dollar bond.
Inverness is about 60 miles north of Tampa.

How come there aren't any lawsuits against the public school system coming out of this?  Where's the multi-million dollar settlements?  What has the NEA said about all of this if anything.  This has to be at least the dozenth case I've heard in the last few months.

Why exactly should the school have liability in the case you cite? If they had known and let it continue perhaps...

Also you compare public schools to the Catholic Church. The church systemicaly covered up the offenders within it's ranks. Do you have any evidence that this is even the case with this or any other school system?

Finally you do realize that suing the school system is suing yourself right? We all pay for the system after all.

Indicting the public school system overall is irrational and unjust.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK OK maybe it's because I was a young boy once BUT............ to me there is a world of difference between a crusty old man tricking an 8 year old boy into relations, and a 15 year old boy doing it to a hot over 18 female!! Like that teacher in Seattle. I don't see why we as a society can't seem to differntiate between different sex acts??!! A little boy can have things done to him by a man against his will, But there is nothing a 30 YO woman can do to a Teenage boy that he does'nt want happen to him!!! Am I taking crazy pills here??? In fact I would'nt be suprised if the kid fesses up to the police simply because he does'nt realise anything was wrong. Either that or they probably threatened him with some BS lie like "oh yeah unless you tell us what happened you're sure to get expelled!" The rest of the world laughs at our stupid puritan moralism!

So teenage girls don't want to have sex with adult men?
Rubbish. I don't want ANY adult having sex with ANY kids, period.
Tell me an adult with sexual experience can't take advantage of an adolescent and get them to want to have sex. The laws are in place to protect kids from these kinds of predators, as they should be.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Again I state, maybe it was cause I was a young boy at one time. I knew what sex was and how to do it by the time I was 13. At that point it's safe to say I can't be "taken advantage of" I know exactly what I was doing (or wished I had done ) Also, who says 18 is an adult? The state? why not 15? I think you have to realise that these kind of things can spell trouble for a lot of people. suppose your 16 and your girlfriend is 14 then assuming you stay together there will come a point where you will be 18 and she 16! What was before called 'puppylove' is now Rape! Why because you reached at 12:00 EST the magical age where you are a dirty old man and your girl is a innocent being taken advantage of? That's rubbish! The reason why I say this is because it happened to a friend of mine. The cops tried to get the parents to press charges when they caught him with her in a car. But luckily they told the pigs where to shove it. And with out the girls cooperation they had no case. No don't get me wrong I'm not for Child molesting but I think we have to 'Tweek' the laws to prevent guys from being able to screw their teachers then ending up on the Oprah show speaking about his "forbidden love" it's a total joke, And  a lot of people lives get ruined in the process.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Again I state, maybe it was cause I was a young boy at one time. I knew what sex was and how to do it by the time I was 13. At that point it's safe to say I can't be "taken advantage of" I know exactly what I was doing (or wished I had done ) Also, who says 18 is an adult? The state? why not 15? I think you have to realise that these kind of things can spell trouble for a lot of people. suppose your 16 and your girlfriend is 14 then assuming you stay together there will come a point where you will be 18 and she 16! What was before called 'puppylove' is now Rape! Why because you reached at 12:00 EST the magical age where you are a dirty old man and your girl is a innocent being taken advantage of? That's rubbish! The reason why I say this is because it happened to a friend of mine. The cops tried to get the parents to press charges when they caught him with her in a car. But luckily they told the pigs where to shove it. And with out the girls cooperation they had no case. No don't get me wrong I'm not for Child molesting but I think we have to 'Tweek' the laws to prevent guys from being able to screw their teachers then ending up on the Oprah show speaking about his "forbidden love" it's a total joke, And  a lot of people lives get ruined in the process.

I understand what you are saying but consider what kind of adult woman wants to have sex with a 13 year old boy? Just as depraved as the other way around. And while you may have had sex at 13 that does not allow carte blanche for any adult female who wants to indulge her pedophilia.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't want to tar everybody in the profession but do you tink pedophiles are drawn torwards teaching and coaching youth?

I hope they instititute better screening for those jobs.

In my private, religious, high school, the pedophile teachers would just get transfered out of country.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't want to tar everybody in the profession but do you tink pedophiles are drawn torwards teaching and coaching youth?

I hope they instititute better screening for those jobs.

In my private, religious, high school, the pedophile teachers would just get transfered out of country.

Sure. Pedophiles are attracted to jobs, activities, events, etc that gives them exposure to kids. Church youth leaders, preachers, priests, Scoutmasters, camp counselors, teachers, day care workers, the whole nine yards. Obvious and expected.

The teachers and such you see perping on the older kids for the most part are not pedophiles, they are simply opportunistic sexual predators. It is not the youthful characteristics that attract them to the child per sey, the child is just accessable and available.

No amount of screening is going to stop all of this. Some have never perped before, some just have never been caught.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top