Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 8:42:52 PM EDT
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&u=/ap/tsunami_weather_forecaster

Less than a week after the tragedy, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra appointed Smith as a vice minister and put him in charge of the newly established National Disaster Warning Office, which will work with seismologists to establish a tsunami early warning system.

Now when Smith speaks, people listen. And he has a new message: The United States must take some of the blame for the grievous number of casualties.

The 68-year-old forecaster — who earned a bachelor's degree in electrical and electronics engineering from the University of Vermont in 1962 — said he believes that if the Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center had acted quickly enough, many lives could have been saved.

"I'm not angry at them for failing to warn Thailand, because at that time they did not know for sure, they merely said a tsunami was possible after the earthquake," Smith told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Tuesday.

But after the giant waves hit southern Thailand, the center had more than an hour to alert India, Bangladesh and the Maldives, "and if they warned those countries, they could have saved thousands of lives," he said.

"It's their failure to do so that makes me mad at them," he said.

Well, I was gonna go see Thailand at some point, but Phuket!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
sheeshh...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess they can go on about it as long as they get thier aid/money from us.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There is already a tsunami warning system  but when they asked thailand and surronding countries if they want to join they said no.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what the world would do if the USA took on a policy of isolationism.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes you feel real charitable, now doesn’t it?

I'm really starting to think that the wave wasn’t nearly big enough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Even AFTER the initial wave hit they couldn't figure out if another was coming. In the end they had people leaving and coming back at the same time because they were so mixed up with the reports. Sorry, but its not our fault.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So when are the tinfoil hats going to say we cause the earthquake as a preemptive strike?

Wait until next week, probaly next Thursday.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
....ahhhhhhh SHIT!........................NEVERMIND
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Cheer?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Makes you feel real charitable, now doesn’t it?

I'm really starting to think that the wave wasn’t nearly big enough.

I thought that when it happened, but now everyone's bleeding heart mode is starting to wear off and it's ok to say things like that.  A couple weeks ago everyone on the site would be crying and crapping saying that it's insensitive and then compare it to 9/11.

Digital
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Unbelievable, but not surprising.

We have become the Ultimate Scapegoat for everything. Everything is our fault in general or Bush's in particular. Hell, we have idiots on this site (members, even!) who love to pile on in the same way.

What a PITA it is to be the greatest nation on Earth, and one with a soul. Despite the BS accusations, we STILL give. I don't know whether to be immensely proud of my country or to just say screw it and nuke the Mariana Trench to REALLY make the little bastards feel a tsunami.

Bottom line is that we have to be able to look at ourselves as a country and at least not hate what we see. Sometimes, the things that must occur to make that happen defy all logic.

Maybe the wave really wasn't big enough.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#15]
fuck em, who said we have to warn anyone?

get your own damn seismology center, cheap bastards
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:56:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I heard one of the major news channels report that a warning was sent but the receiving office was closed for the weekend.  There was no one there to read the warning!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
fuck em, who said we have to warn anyone?

get your own damn seismology center, cheap bastards

If India could afford a nuke program they could afford a tsunami early warning system.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheer?

I think it would be the opposite of that.  They would complain because their world would fall into even more shit.  They hate us because we help them so much, proving that they can't fix their own problems and yet they would hate us if we didn't do anything.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Nature happens.

In the end, it is usually for the best.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Not our problem!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
i dont see why its our job to always warn people about things. were damned if we do, and were damned if we dont.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Bomb Pearl Harbor again?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#24]
That rates a 9.0 on the ungrateful scale.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#25]
We already warned them. The ones that didn't ignore us couldn't do anything about it, there simply wasn't time or manpower to evacuate. Most of those countries refused to join our tsunami warning system or had systems of their own already.

As for the ungrateful asshole blaming us... [chicken noises]Biiiiiiitch bitchbitchbitch biiiiiiitch bitch bitch[/chicken noises].
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#26]
So, if a fire inspector comes to your home and says, "You should have a smoke detector in your house in case your house catches fire," and you tell the fire inspector to FOAD, and then your house catches fire and your wife and kids burn up in the fire, it was the fire inspector's fault that they died right?

And just to absolutely clear, if on the slim chance that your house does catch fire, you should wait until after it's already happened, and then go and invent a new device that is capable of detecting smoke, so that you can have an early warning system in case it happens again.

Sounds logical to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Not surprised.  You should have read some outlandish posts over at DUh.  It was Bush's fault as usual.
Top Top