Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:03:47 PM EDT
Is it ok to shoot 12 ga. slugs through a slooth bore shotgun? I heard that it could mess up the barrel somehow?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NOT A CHOKE IN!!!!!  That could end up bad. Other than that, I have never had any problems with it but I prefer buck shot over a slug.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it's got no choke in it, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NOT A CHOKE IN!!!!!  That could end up bad. Other than that, I have never had any problems with it but I prefer buck shot over a slug.

Wrong.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

how so?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

Doncha love the all bling, no substance posts.

Could you be a little less specific?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

thank you
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wrong again.

The recommended choke should be listed on the box.  I can't remember which one is the best, but a modified or improved works pretty well, as does a rifled choke tube.  I get great results with Foster type slugs with a rifled choke tube in my 1100.  No choke will work OK, but you might mung up the threads if your barrel is threaded for choke tubes.  A full choke is not a good idea.  There have been rare occasions where it resulted in a split or burst barrel.  Accuracy sucks too.

Edited to add:  For years, Remington made their slugs undersize due to liability concerns.  Seems the old Remington green box is a pet load for the farmer types that like to shoot slug in their full choke bird barrel.  About three years ago, due to complaints regarding poor accuracy (a result of the explosion of rifled deer barrels) Remmy abandoned this concept and made them bigger, and more along the lines of the other manufacturers.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Well guess i learned something today. But I still dont like slugs in the first place because they are not accurate. But if you want to put a big hole in something. they are a sure bet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well guess i learned something today. But I still dont like slugs in the first place because they are not accurate. But if you want to put a big hole in something. they are a sure bet.

Firing my Remington 1100, with iron sights, offhand, using a screw in factory rifled choke tube and the new Remington slugs, I can put four shots into a 2"-4" group at 75 yards.  A lot of the local good old boys around here shoot that with a scoped rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Browning recommends an Improved Cylinder choke for slugs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I disagree...my benelli w/ slug is accurate out to 100 yrds with open sights - sure I am not shooting 1/4MOA...but the hits are in the black (small 8") but if you got thumped with this you'd drop like a bag of dirt.

the funny thing is you can hear the paper tearing down range on impact.

I use improved cyl. - which is recommended by benelli
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is text on the regular "slugger" rifled slugs from Remington's website:

"Always in the forefront of deer slug technology, we redesigned our 12-gauge Slugger Rifled Slug for a 25% improvement in accuracy."

This was the switch from undersized back to standard sizing.  No mention on the website of chokes, but I have some in the basement and I'll look in a minute......

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

AS you can see, I was getting to it.  I can't type THAT fast!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Another reason i dont use slugs is because if i kill something i like to have some meat left to eat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Another reason i dont use slugs is because if i kill something i like to have some meat left to eat.

you just need to shoot bigger things....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong again.

The recommended choke should be listed on the box.  I can't remember which one is the best, but a modified or improved works pretty well, as does a rifled choke tube.  I get great results with Foster type slugs with a rifled choke tube in my 1100.  No choke will work OK, but you might mung up the threads if your barrel is threaded for choke tubes.  A full choke is not a good idea.  There have been rare occasions where it resulted in a split or burst barrel.  Accuracy sucks too.

Edited to add:  For years, Remington made their slugs undersize due to liability concerns.  Seems the old Remington green box is a pet load for the farmer types that like to shoot slug in their full choke bird barrel.  About three years ago, due to complaints regarding poor accuracy (a result of the explosion of rifled deer barrels) Remmy abandoned this concept and made them bigger, and more along the lines of the other manufacturers.  

Not wrong.

Nowhere do you show that eliminating the choke is a problem.  You admit that full chokes can burst a barrel, and that Remingotn changed the design of their slugs to prevent burst barrels.

He wasn't asking about accuracy, and from his question, I assumed he didn't have a rifled slug choke, else he would not have asked if it were OK.

His only question was can a slug damage a smooth bore, and it cannot, assuming it is a modern shotty without a choke.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong again.

Not wrong.

Nowhere do you show that eliminating the choke is a problem.  You admit that full chokes can burst a barrel, and that Remingotn changed the design of their slugs to prevent burst barrels.

He wasn't asking about accuracy, and from his question, I assumed he didn't have a rifled slug choke, else he would not have asked if it were OK.

His only question was can a slug damage a smooth bore, and it cannot, assuming it is a modern shotty without a choke.

I don't know about where you live, or how much shotgunning you have done, but around here "smooth bore" means a shotgun that generally has a fixed choke, usually full.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have shot  slugs through a modified choke without issue.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong again.

Not wrong.

I don't know about where you live, or how much shotgunning you have done, but around here "smooth bore" means a shotgun that generally has a fixed choke, usually full.

Plenty.

Smooth bore means no rifling where I come from , where I train, and what I read.

Where I come from, we don't make assumptions about what choke someone is sporting based on the word "smoothbore."

Reread his question and my answer and revisit your conclusion that anything I have posted here is "wrong."

Even if you asume he is sporting a full choke, my post is not wrong.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Slugs in a smooth bore are perfectly safe.  Shooting classic "rifled" Forster slugs in any MODERN barrel will not damage it.  The nose, which is the ONLY solid portion of the slug, is slightly undersize while the base is hollow, just like a Diablo air rifle pellet.  The base obturates or expands to fill the bore but due to the pure lead construction and thin skirt, no damaging effects will be seen on any modern barreled shotgun, regardless of choke.

Now if you have an original Damascus barreled shotgun, firing any modern ammunition can be dangerous, including slugs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
[dunking for cover]Wish i brought my poncho...wasn't expecting a pissing contest....[/ducking for cover]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Forster slugs can pass a choke AND be accurate in cylinder bores due to their weight forward design and bore filling design.  The pressure causes them to fill the bore diameter but the low mass at the skirt prevents damage to even full chokes.  Its simple.  They are just like an air rifle pellet and most spring-air precision rifles actually have a tapered or choked barrel.  Its noticable when I push cleaning pellets through the bore of my RWS 48 with a length of string trimmer Nylon line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top