Posted: 1/11/2005 12:34:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
was Burt Reynolds ever on Gunsmoke?

I liked it myself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Umm, yeah.....just a little

While I'm not as tall as he was (I'm 6'3", he's 6'7") I tend to like buckskin horses, SA revolvers, bound edge hats, red headed women. I remember watchin' re-runs with my dad when I was growing up.....Gunsmoke, Gene, Roy, the Cicsco Kid, Sky King and Rawhide....great stuff
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Peter Graves, from the old TV Mission Impossible was the brother of James Arness in real life.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I liked it myself.

yeah, he was Quint Asper, the blacksmith
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Harrison Ford was also on gunsmoke.  As was the Navy carrier captain in the hunt for red october... he was also a senator... whatisname?

Yeah, a friend of mine's mom records every episode on the westerns channel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I liked it myself.

Yes he was.  He was good too.  As I understnd it, he left for bigger gigs in the movies.  He added alot to the show.  I still love watching episodes on the Westerns channel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Harrison Ford was also on gunsmoke.  As was the Navy carrier captain in the hunt for red october... he was also a senator... whatisname?

Fred Thompson
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I also liked "Gunsmoke".

And "Rawhide".

And one set in the Arizona desert, about a cattle ranch . . . don't know the name. some of the major charactors were Mexican cowboys who worked for the anglo rancher. Struck home with me, growing up on a ranch in California, my anglo father and grandfather worked a cattle ranch with Mexican cowboys, they spoke fluient Spanish despite no hispanic ancestory.

Didn't much care for "Bonanza". Or "The Rifleman".
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Peter Graves, from the old TV Mission Impossible was the brother of James Arness in real life.

Wow, didn't know that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds right
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep.  Gunsmoke rocked.  I had the same phobia about shorts and Gunsmoke.  I thought I was the only one.  I still don't wear shorts.  

Your photo of Festus is a serious score.  Too bad folks don't make as many Oat Operas these days.  
I used to like "The Rebel".   Steve Mcqueen had a good one too.  Can't recall the name.  The one where he carried a sawed off Winchester.  

Anyhow, yes.  Gunsmoke.  Good.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yep.  Gunsmoke rocked.  I had the same phobia about shorts and Gunsmoke.  I thought I was the only one.  I still don't wear shorts.  

Your photo of Festus is a serious score.  Too bad folks don't make as many Oat Operas these days.  
I used to like "The Rebel".   Steve Mcqueen had a good one too.  Can't recall the name.  The one where he carried a sawed off Winchester.  

I believe that was Wanted: Dead or Alive....he called the winchester "Mare's Leg"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Steve McQueen show was "Wanted Dead or Alive".  He played Josh Randall.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For my birthday this year  I got an autographed picture of James Arness (Matt Dillon)to go with my autographed picture of Ken curtis (Festus). Now if I could get an Amanda Blake, Milburn Stone and Buck Taylor I'd be set.

Anyone else a big Gunsmoke fan?

You better start saving up.

Doc is going for 1200.00USD

Buck is 130, no pic, just signature, and Amanda is $200 (card) and $300 (check).

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fred Thompson

I'm still trying to figure out how that old fart managed to date Lorrie Morgan.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My dad grew up a cowboy. He always told me only queers and city dudes wore shorts or short sleeve shirts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad grew up a cowboy. He always told me only queers and city dudes wore shorts or short sleeve shirts.

My grandad saw me in shorts when I was 6...he laughed and asked me if I had stepped to far into my jeans.....the shorts went back into the dresser and dind't come out for a long, long time
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone remember the Disney westerns that changed every week?  Maverick, Texas John Slaughter, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
High Chapparal?

Google revealed that you are indeed correct.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anyone remember the Disney westerns that changed every week?  Maverick, Texas John Slaughter, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne.  

He's easy lopin', cattle ropin'......

(that's part of the sugarfoot song, so yeah, a few at least)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Damn!!!

Whats my Festus and Matt worth? Not that I'd ever sell them. I'm just curious

Click the link and check theirs out.

If I had to guess, Arness is still signing and selling, so they are mucho lower than Ken Curtis, who has been dead for years.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Great show and great story, texastactical.

I remember watching it (original run) with my grandfather.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#26]
And who could ever forget Deputy Festus Haggen. Loyal to his mule and Matt Dillon.

ETA: Now there's an avitar for someone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I loved Gunsmoke!!! In fact I played it yesterday on my MAME cabinet.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I well remember Gunsmoke. Watched it whenever possible. There will never, ever be another show that comes close. It could never be as popular today as it was then. Mainly because the plots usually pointed out lessons in life that woulud be unpopular today,ie...morality, loyalty,character,ethics, strong beliefs.

Today the popular beliefs are greed, whats in it for me, if it feels good-do...that crap. Not even a distant second to what was offered on Gunsmoke and many shows of that time period. Generally speaking, youth today want nothing to do with the former, preferring rather the latter.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I liked Dennis Weaver on Gunsmoke, and when I get time for a horse, it will be the biggest buckskin I can find.

I like all the old Westerns from TV and the movies - too bad the communists that run the St. Louis television stations never play any, they prefer the loosey goosey crap about the latest "comedy" with queers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I liked Dennis Weaver on Gunsmoke, and when I get time for a horse, it will be the biggest buckskin I can find.

I like all the old Westerns from TV and the movies - too bad the communists that run the St. Louis television stations never play any, they prefer the loosey goosey crap about the latest "comedy" with queers.

You need cable

An all Western channel shows movies and two Gunsmokes twice a day.

Nick at night used to show Gunsmoke, I dont know if they still do or not.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#31]
CavVet, do you remember the episode of the Rifleman with Sammy Davis Jr.  ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#32]
"Wanted, Dead or Alive".  Thanks!  

Anyone remember "Rawhide"?  Every Sunday morning there was a show about Mosby when I was a kid.
Can't recall the name of that one either but it was a hoot for a kid interested in the Late Misunderstanding.  It may well have been regional.  If anyone recalls that particular show please speak up.  I must be overdrawn at the memory bank or something.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Gunsmoke, Rawhide, The Riflemen and Have Gun will Travel. None are PC enough for todays TV. After all, they shot people, and people died!! No they are too far out of it to even temp to make shows like those!  I loved them all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
CavVet, do you remember the episode of the Rifleman with Sammy Davis Jr.  ?

LOL

Actually he was in it twice.

Once  playing "Wade Randall" in episode: "The Most Amazing Man" (episode # 5.9) 26 November 1962 where Fast-draw artist Wade Randall is less than anxious to display his prowess.

And again  playing "Tip Corey" in episode: "Two Ounces of Tin" (episode # 4.21) 19 February 1962 where Tip Corey was the son of a man allegedly murdered in North Fork.

Google is a wonderful thing, cuz I dont remember those.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The Wade Randall episode was one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Some of my best memories as a kid were of the whole family watching those old (then new) westerns.  Getting a color TV in 1964 or 65 made it even better.

That's a real shame because there is not a great deal on TV today I would want my daugher to see anyway.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep.  Absolutely loved it as a kid (together with Have Gun, Will Travel, which was on right before it).  In addition to great stories, it also had a great theme song!

Fortunately, I had stopped watching Gunsmoke by the time they removed the gunfight scene from the beginning – which still irritates me!!  

My local PBS radio station has Gunsmoke radio programs on every Sunday evening.  They are also excellent.  William Conrad (later of Cannon and of Jake and the Fat Man) is Marshal Dillon and the guy who was Floyd the barber in the Andy Griffth Show is Doc.

Quoted:

IIRC, only “Texas John Slaughter” was Disney, the rest were weekly Warner Brothers shows.  I’m thinking that a companion WB show to the three you mention was Colt .45.  The only other Disney western show of that period that I can remember was “El Fago Baca”.

Quoted:
…  Every Sunday morning there was a show about Mosby when I was a kid. …  

The Gray Ghost.  Not much info on this site, but:   us.imdb.com/title/tt0050021/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9dGhlIGdyZXkgZ2hvc3R8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=2;ft=7;fm=1

I remember seeing, too.  IIRC it was pretty dull (i.e. not much violence).
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#38]
The only thing I remember about is is my friends dad used to come home drunk and watch it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Great show. Watched it as a kid in the 60's and watch it on cable now. All them sixties westerns were good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks to the influence of Matt, my first SAA was the 7" model.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top