BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 1:07:11 PM EDT
Its weird....screen goes gray with the text:

"Weclome.  Powering up."

Then....

"Almost there"

Now...I have the DTV logo....acquiring info from satellite...

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay.  Back now.

Weird
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Aliens were off on the timing you shouldn't have noticed anything
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No Ace, just you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
That's called ECM (Electronic Counter-Measures). They just zapped a bunch of the illegal access card crowd. If you're an actual customer, the signal comes back. They tend to do it when the largest number of receivers are likely to be turned on (such as NFL Playoffs).
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Really?  Interesting.  I knew this was done, just never had seen it before.

Quoted:
That's called ECM (Electronic Counter-Measures). They just zapped a bunch of the illegal access card crowd. If you're an actual customer, the signal comes back. They tend to do it when the largest number of receivers are likely to be turned on (such as NFL Playoffs).

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#6]
They uplink a lot of signals from the Long Beach, CA facility and Long Beach has been getting pounded but good with rain.  I worked in the building for a while  and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they ended up getting something flooded out and had to go to a back-up.  There were some real drainage issues a few times when the local flood control system got honked.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you think of DTV?

I want to get one...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I want to get one...

I love mine!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They uplink a lot of signals from the Long Beach, CA facility and Long Beach has been getting pounded but good with rain.  I worked in the building for a while  and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they ended up getting something flooded out and had to go to a back-up.  There were some real drainage issues a few times when the local flood control system got honked.

Thats ironic. I know of two, and only two, uplink facilities. Neither are in California.
What are they uplinking from Cali?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The satellite is broke we are sending a truck up to fix it....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That wouldn't cause his receiver to reset. I say again:  ECM....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wouldn't cause his receiver to reset. I say again:  ECM....

Yea they probaly hit his box for a hacked card, more common these days.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#13]
What ahppens if you have a hacked card? Have to buy another one I take it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:15:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Dish Network and occasionally lose my signal as well and I have a bar that pops up showing the progress in reacquiring the signal. I never really thought about it that much, but I suppose this is probably the same thing you just experienced with DirecTV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The satellite is broke we are sending a truck up to fix it....

It'll be there on Monday between 7AM and 12Noon....January 31st. Please be present to permit access.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It depends they get a few hits, one kills your programming, you can have reprogrammed, or if you got the setup do it yourself.  they also have systems out they reprogram themselves but they started going after those awhile back too.  Another version will kill the card, this one they dont do much, the first time they tired it, they friend a whole series of cards, on a major TV day, lots of pissed people, many of them legal and they stuck them with buying new cards.  The people with the cracked card (that series was very easy to crack) had a workaround in a few weeks,

All the stuff to do this is available in Canada fairly cheap, what people want is virgin cards for cracking, prices and what can be done and how to do it vary by series.

I used to work for a Sat company.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I've never had mine go out except for really bad weather. But I can tell when they zap, my sevice will skip a few seconds or what not. Happens every so often

I want to get one...

DTV with TiVo is the best . It's the best money spent all month
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends they get a few hits, one kills your programming, you can have reprogrammed, or if you got the setup do it yourself.  they also have systems out they reprogram themselves but they started going after those awhile back too.  Another version will kill the card, this one they dont do much, the first time they tired it, they friend a whole series of cards, on a major TV day, lots of pissed people, many of them legal and they stuck them with buying new cards.  The people with the cracked card (that series was very easy to crack) had a workaround in a few weeks,

All the stuff to do this is available in Canada fairly cheap, what people want is virgin cards for cracking, prices and what can be done and how to do it vary by series.

They have no way of actually tracing and finding out who's using cracked cards?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have no way of actually tracing and finding out who's using cracked cards?

The illegal card users don't usually bother to hook up a phone line so there's no way for their box to communicate back to DirecTV. If you are a legitimate customer, they have your card S/N right in your account and it will not be trashed. All cards not in the system will theoretically be disabled. However, the receiver has to be turned on at the time they send out the ECM for it to take out the card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top