Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 9:30:36 AM EDT
Let me know what you know / think. All I get from the sales guys is smoke and sales hype.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to know about them?

LCD is more convenient (size/weight).

LCD is more expensive (generally).

CRTs can have better refresh rates and pixel resolutions (at this time).

For the average user (email and internet), if LCD is within your price range, it's probably worth considering.

For people who need larger screens, higher resolutions, or play a lot of video games, LCD's probably aren't the best choice for the task.

One thing that is nice about LCD screens is that they don't "refresh" themselves like CRT monitors do. This is how often the gun in a CRT monitor shoots light across the screen.

Oftentimes, if the refresh rate on your monitor isn't fast enough, it can be seen as flickering. To some people, that can give headaches, even if they don't see the flicker (usually you can see flicker on white/bright screen out of the corner of your eye easiest).

LCD screens send a signal to each pixel as to how much Red Green and Blue (RGB) to put out, and it stays that way until it receives a new signal. There is no need to constantly refresh the entire screen like a CRT monitor does.

The downside to that is that if a pixel ever "dies", it will stay the same color that it was last. So you might see a green or black or white spot where a pixel died.

IMO, the most important thing to consider is what screen resolution you want to run. If you are OK with the resolution that an LCD can provide, and can justify the (less and less all the time) extra price... LCD monitors are great.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Pros and cons...

LCD's use a LOT less power. A lot smaller. Picture is basically digital so it's very sharp on a good panel. (Even better if you have a video card with a digital output instead of the normal analog output). No flicker or refresh problems on an LCD. Colors are bright and vibrant on a good panel. Image quality is easily comparable to a CRT, and you don't have to tune an LCD to get ultra-sharp pictures like you'd have to a CRT.

Cons of an LCD...pixels CAN go bad. They're a bit more fragile than a CRT (don't poke at your LCD with a pen!). They're pricier. They can get burned in quicker than CRT's (that is, if you leave the same image on the screen for a while..a long while. A guy I know ran that Matrix screen saver, you know, with the falling weird green characters, as his screen saver...well, it didn't save his screen. It burned that into his LCD panels. ) Their longevity is also in question...ever seen a 5 year old LCD? Probably not. Ever seen a 5 year old CRT? All over. My oldest CRT, I purchased new in 1996 or 1997...still running strong today at 1600x1200, flicker-free. Also, at resolutions lower than the panel's max rated resolution (which is what the panel is designed to do to begin with), the image can look pretty...bad. If you buy a panel that says it can do 1600x1200, you gotta run it at that, because the picture will suck otherwise. It'll look blocky, etc.

The monitor I use now is a Dell 2001FP 21" flat panel. It's worth the scratch to me. I retired my CRT's a while ago (gave 'em to the parents, who were only too happy to get nice big monitors) and from now on I'll only buy LCD's. I'm prepared to deal with the possibility of pixels going bad in return for a better, brighter image while using less energy.

The panel itself DOES make a difference, though. Some LCD monitors suck worse than a $10 hooker. The Dell panels are good. I've tested some other panels like you see in Best Buy and such...they sucked compared to the Dell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Well not to put too fine a point on it, they're not really LCDs. LCD's are the creamed spinach colored screens you see on calculators and old game boys.

Modern "flat panel" displays are TFT's (Thin Film Transistor) displays.

Steenkybastage and Evil_Ed did a good job of explaining the pros/cons. I would agree if you can afford it, and are not a hardcore game player, buy a TFT. They are affordable in the $300-400 range for a 17" at least.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have young kids, get a CRT. Soft front and fragile LCD's are too tempting of a target to young fingers, pencils, toys, etc. I don't care whether you tell them to not touch it, they WILL :-)!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If you play computer games or watch dvd's on your 'puter, stick with crt. otherwise, go lcd.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your input guys!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
DLP, DLP, and again DLP samsung has some very nice models out. And not that pricey.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I should have provided more info...I'm looking at replacing my 36" Tube TV (it's old)
and I'm looking for a replacement in the same size or a bit larger. Somewhere between 36"-42"

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Question: How do you clean the screen on an LCD Monitor?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you have young kids, get a CRT. Soft front and fragile LCD's are too tempting of a target to young fingers, pencils, toys, etc. I don't care whether you tell them to not touch it, they WILL :-)!

I have young kids, the oldest one is 4 now and he's poked and prodded at my laptop screen and my wife's LCD screen.  The only screen that ever broke was my laptop when *I* stepped on it by accident ($800 for a new screen).

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Question: How do you clean the screen on an LCD Monitor?

Use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mixture. Wipe it with microfiber cloths like those used to clean eyeglasses etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
What Paul said.  The new LCD active matrix TFT's are fast enough for all but the most demanding gamers.  I have a Dell 1800FP and a Dell 2001FP.  I believe they are made by Sony and both are excellent.  I would never go back to CRT's.  

The Dell 2001FP is currently on sale for $599 on the Dell web site.  It has a 1600 x 1200 resolution and a 16ms response time.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
When you go in a store that carries good TV's, like a nice stereo store in a large city, you'll notice that the biggest difference between the good and the really good TV's are the blacks.  Look at someone in a dark suit or a tux on a good TV, and you'll what I'm talking about.  LCD's can't do black, and they do not do a good job with very dark colors.  I'd stay away from them until they get better at blocking more light from their backlights.z
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They do make LCD's with glass screens - don't know how common they are.

16ms and faster screens are certainly good enough for dvd's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do make LCD's with glass screens - don't know how common they are.

16ms and faster screens are certainly good enough for dvd's.

My NEC MultiSync LCD1765 has the clear acrylic faceplate over the screen... VERY nice....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:47:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I guess I should have provided more info...I'm looking at replacing my 36" Tube TV (it's old)
and I'm looking for a replacement in the same size or a bit larger. Somewhere between 36"-42"

Thanks.

You can get tube tvs up to about 36", but not much bigger. Any bigger and you're looking at a rear projection crt tv.

LCDs are available bigger than that, but they get really pricer the bigger they get. so they might not be the best option.

If you have the space, I'd go with a crt rear projector. If you don't have much space, ut don't need it to be completely flat, look at DLP or LCoS rear projectors.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I am typing this on a 21 inch LCD.

MUCH better than the 21 inch CRT I used to have.

Get a good one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd avoid the plasma TVs.  As they grow old the picture starts to dim and the only replacement is to replace the whole unit.

Another option to consider is a DLP projector.  $900 bought me a box that's giving me a 115" screen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Well the major differences are price, performance, size and weight.

Last month I got a flat screen 19” CRT (18” viewable area) for $67 after rebates the normal price was $177… taking the $177 retail for the CRT you will have to pay approximately $500+ for a comparable LCD with the same approximate viewable screen area.

The CRT has a brighter and shaper picture that any LCD available. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU (at this point in time) A LCD SCREEN WILL NEVER BE AS BRIGHT OR SHARP AS A CHEAP CRT.

So unless your desk space is at a premium, you have a bad back, or you just have money to burn it is really hard to justify the expense of a LDC… unless you just really want one.

IF you really want a LCD and can afford it OK… OR if you have the desk space get 2 CRT monitors and do a dual monitor setup.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You are forgetting that LCDs and TFT displays are easier on the eyes and cause less eye strain.  While a CRT will be sharper and brighet (at this point) they are extremely hard on the eyes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are forgetting that LCDs and TFT displays are easier on the eyes and cause less eye strain.  While a CRT will be sharper and brighet (at this point) they are extremely hard on the eyes.

No

CRTs at high refresh rates don't bother the eyes nearly as mush as the  ALWAYS dimmer screens of LCD/TFT displays. Especially the much dimmer screens of cheap/affordable  LDC.

You want real eye strain try using a LCD/TFT (even a good one) in a brightly sunlit room vs. a CRT in the same room.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Thanks.

I have a 30" HD direct view TV I just got, and a 55" rear projection.  I've looked at a lot of the flat panels (TFT, not plasma), and don't think the picture is as good...ihmo.  There is a difference in pictures between direct view and rear projection.  I don't think one is any better than the other; picture quality from both from a progressive scan DVD via component or HDMI is excellent, you'll be happy with either...but for size/$$, you can't beat rear projection.  The $3000 Mitsubishi I bought 4 years ago is around $1500 or less now.  

A good 30" widescreen (do NOT buy a 4:3 TV at this point in time...hi def is here) is around $800 to $1000, and they go up exponentially 'til you hit the limit which I *think* is 40" or so.  At that point, the rear projectors are a no brainer.  

I have seen a bunch of the non rear projectors....my buddy has one.  The picture clarity is not even close to a direct view or rear projector, I don't think.  It's cool having a 10" picture, but most folks don't have a house big enough to allow you to sti far enough away from it to make it look good.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No

CRTs at high refresh rates don't bother the eyes nearly as mush as the  ALWAYS dimmer screens of LCD/TFT displays. Especially the much dimmer screens of cheap/affordable  LDC.

You want real eye strain try using a LCD/TFT (even a good one) in a brightly sunlit room vs. a CRT in the same room.

Try using a CRT for 8 to 10 hours a day.  They are hard on the eyes.  I notice a big difference between my CRT and using the machine shop LCD screens.  The ergonomics are better, the glare is much lower - and causes less eye strain.  I would take a LCD over my CRT anyday, even for gaming/graphics work.

Taken from a FAQ from staples.com:
Is it true that LCD monitors are easier on your eyes?

Yes. Unlike CRT monitors, the images on LCD monitors refresh a pixel, rather than an entire line, at a time. The images on CRT monitors (as well as televisions) are redrawn at a rapid rate not usually discernable to the eye. This is why photographs of television and CRT screens don't turn out (and why when you look into a dark room brightened only by a television there seems to be mild strobe effect on the walls of the room). This refreshing of CRT screens (measured as frequency) can cause eyestrain for some people. LCDs do not flicker and often cause less eyestrain.

chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ergowg/products/issue14.pdf#search='lcd%20screens%20easier%20on%20eyes'
www.staples.com/content/Article/I-N/LCDFAQs.asp
www.wowwebdesigns.com/power_guides/gray_text_revisited/
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No

I have not found that to be the case. The LCD/TFT screens (18.1 & 20.1) I have seem to cause less eye strain then any CRT monitor I ever had.  It's not a good idea to view any monitor in a brightly sunlit room in any case.  I would never go back to a CRT.  I'm not a gamer though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top