Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 6:02:19 PM EDT
My grandpa came over to my place while I was out and left his Parachute Regiment beret with my mum for me to have.

Im bloody stoked!

I think he wore it to Korea, the Middle East and Malaya.

It bloody rocks!

He was in the Black Watch Regiment as well

Pics to come
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
He was a Para AND in the Black Watch?  Those are the two coolest regiments!  

He's probably got some stories.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of stuff did he do in Malaya?

CRC
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Treasure it.

Waiting for the pics.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
that's quite a gift!

Treasure it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
He must think highly of you.  If a man of that stature has enough respect to bestow that upon you, then you have my respect as well.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi FiftyCalibre… the Black Watch is being rolled into a new Royal Regiment of Scotland as part of the  Armies restructuring…

Was your Grandfather with 1st Para?

If so he will be well pleased to know they are to be retrained/retasked as a Ranger Battalion!

Treat that Beret with deep pride, he will have to have gone through hell and be one of the best of the best to have won it!  Volunteers from the  Paras supply 40%+ of the SAS recruits.

ANdy
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He must think highly of you.  If a man of that stature has enough respect to bestow that upon you, then you have my respect as well.  

Ditto buddy, ditto.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

CRC

The same as my father did… Very bad things to very bad people.

ANdy
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

CRC

I only have overheard him talking about it to another veteran.

I heard him talking about how he took his company of men and re liberated towns occupied by the commies.

I will be going to his place later today to thank him personally and get some stories from him .

He told my dad that I need to polish the Regiment bade because its silver and has darkened.  Should I do this?  Im apprehensive to polish it.

Thanks for the info about the new Regiment vito.  Im not sure what battalion he was in, as I dont really ask him much about his wartime experiences.  I used to ask him a bit when I was a kid, and when his experiences are brought up, there is a visible change in his behaviour so i'm not too sure if hes entirely comfortable with talking about them.

I will ask him about his past today because I think hes afraid he will pass away, due to his ailing health, which is why he gave me his beret.  I hope he is ok with it.

Cheers fellas.  Pics might take a while due to the stupidness of my computer...but they will come
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top