Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 9:42:23 PM EDT
ARKANSAS

Arkansas is a unique tapestry of mountains, plains and fertile delta. Our history and heritage is part Western frontier, part Ozark pioneer and part Old South. Whether you choose to spend your time enjoying contemporary cityscapes or outdoor recreation that takes full advantage of The Natural State's abundant resources, we'll do our best to make you feel at home on your Arkansas vacation. Go duck, deer and wild turkey hunting, shopping for antiques, fishing for trout (or big bass), digging for diamonds or crystals -- Arkansas has something for everyone. Listen to a symphony or Ozark Mountain music, tour Civil War sites, visit art museums and children's museums, watch for eagles or make an eagle -- and don't forget to attend one of the hundreds of fun family festivals held annually! Our restaurant menus are more diverse than our regional attractions. Explore each and every one our state's six regions, our 51 Arkansas State Parks, a particular city or a specific lake or river using the links below or the regional state map at right. Arkansas is mighty accommodating!

ALASKA

Admitted to Statehood: January 3, 1959

Capital: Juneau

Nicknames: Great land and Last Frontier

Motto: "North to the Future"

Bird: Willow Ptarmigan

Fish: King Salmon

Flower: forget me not

Gem: Jade

Tree: Sitka Spruce

Song: "Alaska's Flag"

Origin of Name: Russian version of an Aleutian word, Alakahak, for "peninsula,"  "great lands," or "land that is not an island"

The U.S. bought Alaska from Russia in October 1867 for 7.2 million dollars, or two cents per acre. Many Americans thought this was a waste of money and called Alaska "Seward’s Folly," after Secretary of State William H. Seward who championed the purchase.

Alaska longest river, the Yukon, runs2,300 Miles, 1,400 in Alaska and 900 in Canada. There are more than 3,000 rivers in Alaska and over 3 million lakes. The largest, Lake Iliamna, encompasses over 1,000 square miles.

Each year Alaska has approximately 5,000 earthquakes, including 1,000 that measure above 3.5 on the Richter scale. Of the ten strongest earthquakes ever recorded in the world, three have occurred in Alaska.

Of the nation's 20 highest  mountains, 17 are in Alaska. Mount McKinley ( 20,320 feet ) in the Alaska Range is the highest in North America.

The National Park Service oversees more than 50 million acres of Alaska land. Six million-acre Denali National Park and Preserve is its most visited.

The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, know
as the Last Great Race on Earth, attracts mushers worldwide for the Anchorage to Nome trek, about 1,100 miles.

Alaska Extremes: the coldest day ever recorded: minus 80 degree's F at Prospect Creek Camp, Jan.23, 1971.The hottest day: 100 degree's F at Fort Yukon, June 27, 1915. The deepest single snowfall ever recorded in Alaska: 62 inches, Thompson Pass, Dec. 7, 1955.

Alaska has more than 5,000 glaciers covering 100,000 square miles. There are more active glaciers and ice fields in Alaska than in the rest of the inhabited world. The largest glacier is the Malaspina at 850 square miles. Five percent of the state, or 29,000 square miles, is covered by glaciers.

Alaska boasts the northernmost (Point Barrow), the easternmost (Semisopochnoi Island in the Aleutians), and the westernmost (Little Diomede Island) points in the United States. This is possible because Alaska straddles the international dateline.

On March 27, 1964, North America’s strongest recorded earthquake, magnitude 9.2 on the Richter scale, rocked central Alaska.

Alaska has 6,640 miles of coastline and, including islands, has 33,904 miles of shoreline.

I think Alaska wins.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
haha, nice one
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's cut Alaska in two and make Texas the third biggest state.

AK >> Lower 48+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
AK = L337.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
HA!

I bet there will be a big flame war anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Alaska kicks ass.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I love AK, but what, 3? electoral votes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Alaska.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
damn, out of 20 people only one has voted for AR so far!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Why hasn't Alaska fallen off into the Bering Sea?......Becuase Canada SUCKS!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Alaska is kicking arkansas ass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Arkansas!!!!!!!!!!!! Home of the Great Stain Maker.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Proportionally few women in AK.  And hell I'm from AR, so I must choose the diamond state.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL!

I guess I will tale Alaska!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Proportionally few women in AK.  And hell I'm from AR, so I must choose the diamond state.

Ours have teeth, though.
Its quality over quantity.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Aw geez not this shwhat...?

LOL...

Well, I've been to Alaska. I doubt Arkansas has the glaciers and scenery that Alaska does so I'm voting AK.

Forgive me, Eugene, for I have sinned...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ours have teeth, though.

Point taken.  But there is one advantage to a toothless woman.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Let's cut Alaska in two and make Texas the third biggest state.

AK >> Lower 48+1

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Aw geez not this shwhat...?

LOL...

Well, I've been to Alaska. I doubt Arkansas has the glaciers and scenery that Alaska does so I'm voting AK.

Forgive me, Eugene, for I have sinned...

My next door neighbors took a cruise from S.F. CAlif to SE Alaska 2(Kachican-sp?) summers ago, they said that it was such beautiful country, they're going again in the future.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful Big Alaska.

Flatland Farming AR..
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
AK, have you lost it?  It may be fun to fish or to hunt there on a trip.  But Dixie is the place to be.  I think that you would be better off somewhere with the beach.

Last time I was in AR - there was still State Roads that were dirt - about 15 years ago.

Just My two cents.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]
AR=Too many one-toothers. Plus the Clitons are from there.

AK=Killer hunting and fishing. Five bucks for a gallon of milk though....?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard that in AK (Alaska) you can bumpfire underwater

But in AR (Arkansas) your rifle will KB

Hey just what I heard.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Alaska
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Well we all know that AK is not very user friendly...

AR is smaller but is more effective due to its central location.. IE accuracy..      
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]
ARKANSAS.  The only state that could make it on it's own if it had too or so I have read.  We grow enough rice and soybeans to feed everyone.  Where else can you go to a STATE PARK and dig for REAL!!!!!! diamonds not fake ones.  Only place in the world actually.  Murfeesboro(SP?).  Finest place to duck hunt in the world.  Some of the best trout fishing in the world, I think we have the world record german brown trout.  Home to Crooked Creek which is the 2nd best smallmouth stream in country.  Deer hunting is great and my favorite but maybe not high in terms of B&C entries but plenty of free public land for regular working people to actually kill a deer for free.   The gulf coastal plain in south Arkansas is actually a deer factory since it is mainly private timber companies that own most land and leased to sportsmen for cheap.  Old man river sure gets a workout in the state from sportsman as well.  Ozark mountains sure are pretty in the fall.  Go Hogs Go.  Am I making my point yet?  Alaska don't even have a football team that I am aware of.  O and the AR river valley is nice also.  I think I have covered enough.  O, I forgot the Ouachita Mtns cause that is where I live.

Alaska is nice, I hope to get to travel there somtime but home is in the hills.  FWIW, I ain't married to my cousin and I got all of my teeth.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I've haven't been to alaska yet but used to live in oklahoma. So i've been through AR a bunch, its pretty flat and not too exciting kind of like OK. BUT you will be hard-pressed to find a (overall) nicer bunch of people in any state. Having car trouble? Someone will stop to help, really. Saw a lot of hot women there too Everything is pretty cheap in AR also, houses, land, food etc.. my .02

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Good one, very funny!

I'm going to have to say AK, because every one knows that they can shoot FA underwater, like Mel did in Lethal Weapon 4, just as everybody knows that you can't bump an AR  under water.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#29]
AR= Bill Clinton
AK= Virgin Frontier
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ours have teeth, though.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top