Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2005 8:37:33 PM EDT
The Neutral Observer has a legitimate question about the Mormon religion.

No religion bashing allowed in here!  This means you, asshole.  Yes!  You!

Is it true that Mormons believe, upon death and arrival in heaven, they will get their very own planet/world to administer as they see fit?

If so, can one administer the world as they see fit, or are there codes of conduct one must abide by to maintain one's godship?

Someone at work mentioned this to The Neutral Observer, and The Neutral Observer is not certain if this person was truthful or not.

EDIT:

Eh....That would be Mormons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Who are these mormans you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They're more man than mere men, more or less.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok...ok.

Now it's fixed.  Can everyone get back on topic?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I recall, that is correct.  However, I don't know about the rules in governing.  It's been a long time since they tried to convert me...
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're more man than mere men, more or less.

God damn you two.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not research it yourself?  Asking here just brings out the ignorant bigots that like to make stupid comments.

Here's a good web site to start with:  www.lds.org
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
They believe:

*  Once a mormon dies, he will become god of his own planet

* Jesus and satan were once brothers

* Jesus death on the cross did not buy our salvation, it was the blood that was shed in the garden of gethsemane

* God the Father was once a man.  If he appeared and walked down the aisle of a church, he would appear as any other man.

* Joseph Smith found the Book of Mormon in a creek.  The angel Moroni gave him special glasses that allowed him to understand the language it was written in.

* They believe in holy underwear garments, that good mormons wear at all times; and they must be buried in them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
cool,  I'm a Mormon now
I want to rule my own world
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
cult...oops, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Who the hell would want their own planet if you couldn't at least drink caffiene?
cult.....cults will tell you anything to get you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They believe:

* Jesus death on the cross did not buy our salvation, it was the blood that was shed in the garden of gethsemane

* God the Father was once a man.  If he appeared and walked down the aisle of a church, he would appear as any other man.

* Joseph Smith found the Book of Mormon in a creek.  The angel Moroni gave him special glasses that allowed him to understand the language it was written in.

* They believe in holy underwear garments, that good mormons wear at all times; and they must be buried in them.

65% lies, 35% misleading
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If there are no rules of governing your own world, can Mormons call dibs on their own planet?

Because...The Neutral Observer wants the planet they send all the dead terrorists to, and would be willing to convert to get it.

EDIT:

So the guy was straight up about it, then?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
cult...oops, sorry.

Yes.  Your dick is long and girthy.  Now put it away.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Who the hell would want their own planet if you couldn't at least drink caffiene?

cult.....cults will tell you anything to get you.

Hmmm coffee or rule my own world.... coffee.... my world...... coffee..... world

What the hell would I drink with my donuts?? I PICK COFFEE!!!

Honestly MrsDrFrige would have a better answer. She is into that learning of all religions stuff... I will ask her to post.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]

The Father has promised us that through our faithfulness we shall be blessed with the fullness of his kingdom.  In other words we will have the privilege of becoming like him. To become like him we must have all the powers of godhood; thus a man and his wife when glorified will have spirit children who eventually will go on an earth like this one we are on and pass through the same kind of experiences, being subject to mortal conditions, and if faithful, then they also will receive the fullness of exaltation and partake of the same blessings.  There is no end to this development; it will go on forever.  We will become gods and have jurisdiction over worlds, and these worlds will be peopled by our own offspring.  We will have an endless eternity for this.

-Joseph  Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p.48.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
It is my understanding of LDS beliefs that a person can achieve a God like status in the afterlife, but it is not a sure bet.

I'm not LDS but I grew up in a mostly Mormon community.  A majority of my best friends are LDS. I've studied their beliefs,  doctrine (& covenants) at great length.

It takes a pretty good amount of faith to accept  some of what they believe.  I can't do it myself, but LDS folks do a good job of living Christian ideals here on Earth, better than any other sect I know of.  They make good neighbors.

Plus they're the only white folk breeding.  Pretty soon it will be the white man's religion.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not research it yourself?

Here's a good web site to start with:  www.lds.org

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I will not reply to anything on this website regarding my religeon!!!!!

Why, because there are too many people here who twist our doctrine out of context to bastardize my faith, they do not do the complete research to find out what ALL the links that actually explain the beliefs, so only having part of the story they Mock that which they had not made a serious effort to understand!!!

It always leads to a disrespectful discourse of "My religeon is better than yours because......"

So I will just respectfully stay off the topic of this on a general discussion board!

Fireguy3
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
The folks I work for (On my week-day job) are predominantly LDS and I've found them to be a very generous and decent bunch of people but I can't get over my "Gut" feeling that the whole Mormon movement was birthed from a rather elaborate joke played on a bunch of "Townies" by a  very bored Joseph Smith.

I dunno, I may very well be wrong but, the whole Angel MORON(i) thing gets me I guess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I will not reply to anything on this website regarding my religeon!!!!!

Why, because there are too many people here who twist our doctrine out of context to bastardize my faith, they do not do the complete research to find out what ALL the links that actually explain the beliefs, so only having part of the story they Mock that which they had not made a serious effort to understand!!!

It always leads to a disrespectful discourse of "My religeon is better than yours because......"

So I will just respectfully stay off the topic of this on a general discussion board!

Fireguy3

Don't sweat it.  The Neutral Observer will IM the moderators and have this thread locked if it goes down that path.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
The_Neutral_Observer,

IM me if you'd really like to know something about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons).  The General Discussion forum is probably not the most appropriate place for ANY type of religious conversation...

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
... I live in a Latter Day Saints bastion. Much as Paul portrayed, my neighbors seem to be wonderful people. I have many Mormon friends, and with the exception of the older ladies, most do not try converting me (too hard). I've attended several of the gatherings and have never once felt out of place or looked down on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They believe:

*  Once a mormon dies, he will become god of his own planet  How'd you like to be the poor bastard that gets stuck on that planet

* They believe in holy underwear garments, that good mormons wear at all times; and they must be buried in them.  Thong?  G-String?

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#30]
ok, so if someone today said they found the word of God in some creek somewhere in the midwest and that an angel told them it was sent from God, how many of you would be like, 'sign me up, brother! who do i make my check out too?'

lucky for this joseph smith this happened in the 1800's when people were far more ignorant than they are today.

you really think this religion would be around today if it started 5 years ago buy some long-haired, camaro driving, hippy?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
They believe:

See the quote by Joseph Feilding Smith above.
We are ALL children of God as are they, some of us are just more obedient
* Jesus' death on the cross did not buy our salvation, it was the blood that was shed in the garden of gethsemane
Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was a very important part of the atonement He made for us.  His suffering in the garden of Gethsemane is also a major part.
"Man is as God once was, God is as Man may become" Joseph Smith, the Prophet
Actually, it was revealed to him by an Angel named Moroni on a hill named Cumorah in upstate New York, near Palmyra.  If you live in New York state you can go visit a memorial commemorating this event. The Book of Mormon was translated by the power of God by Joseph Smith
It is part of a covenant we make with God.  An outward symbol of our inward commitment.  I guess it is because I have grown up in this religion but, I have never understood why people think we are weird for wearing underwear.

TNO, I hope that clears things up for you a little bit.

with 12 million members world wide, we are not exactly a small religion.

For the most part, members are patriotic, self-starting, gun-friendly, and honest.  I would expect a warmer welcome from members of this board than we sometimes get.  Oh well... here are some links of interest:
www.lds.org/newsroom/0,15239,3879-1,00.html#FlashPluginDetected
www.mormon.org
For those of you who want to see what we have to "offer"

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Nevermind just read above, all questions are answered.

I personally have been inactive for about 11 years

ETA: nice job answering the questions atomicferret
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They believe:

sort of, see the quote by Joseph Feilding Smith below.
We are ALL children of God, some of us are just more obedient
Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was a very important part of the atonement He made for us.  His suffering in the garden of Gethsemane is also a major part.
Actually, it was revealed to him by an Angel named Moroni on a hill named Cumorah in upstate New York, near Palmyra.  If you live in New York state you can go visit a memorial commemorating this event. The Book of Mormon was translated by the power of God by Joseph Smith
It is part of a covenant we make with God.  An outward symbol of our inward commitment.  I guess it is because I have grown up in this religion but, I have never understood why people think we are weird for wearing underwear.

For the most part, members are patriotic, self-starting, gun-friendly, and honest.  I would expect a warmer welcome from members of this board than we sometimes get.  Oh well... here are some links of interest:
www.mormon.org

do you honestly believe God gives a shit what sort of underwear you wear?

really? really? has everyone lost any and all semblance of common sense?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Poink, quit being a

People were asking questions. Nobody bashes your religion, so dont bash theirs!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I heard that the founder of the Mormon religion was shot and killed on his way to being hung after being convicted of fraud. True?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I grew up in a mormon church, I never heard anything about my own planet!  I am not practicing or interested in returning to the LDS church or any church.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They believe:

www.mormon.org

"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"

Instead of casting stones, perhaps you should consider answering the admittedly rude question?

Why the tightey whiteys?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They believe:

www.mormon.org

show me the urim and thummim. show me the sacred golden plates. show me proof of the ancient american civilization that joseph smith talked about, even though not a shred of evidence can be found by modern day archeaologists.

why are there so many new editions of the book of mormon if joseph smith said god declared them correct in 1830?

if the book of mormon is the true teachings of god, why did the mormon church abandon: the adam-god doctrine, the united order, plural marriage, the curse of cain, blood tonement?  according to the prophet, these were supposed to be everlasting?

if 'the book of abraham' was legit, why do egyptologists and other scholars say the grammar used proves it to be pure fantasy?

why does the mormon church use the king james version instead of joseph smith's revised version?

why did smith never finish translating the kinderhook plates?

if smith was such a prophet, how come next to none of his prophecies went fullfilled, even though he gave names and dates for them, many of which have since died or the prophecies not meeting their deadline?

why did a man of god die in a gun battle while in jail for ordering the destruction of a newspaper that was about to expose him?

be blind and 'follow the brethren' all you like....
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They believe:

www.mormon.org

show me the urim and thummim. show me the sacred golden plates. show me proof of the ancient american civilization that joseph smith talked about, even though not a shred of evidence can be found by modern day archeaologists.

why are there so many new editions of the book of mormon if joseph smith said god declared them correct in 1830?

if the book of mormon is the true teachings of god, why did the mormon church abandon: the adam-god doctrine, the united order, plural marriage, the curse of cain, blood tonement?  according to the prophet, these were supposed to be everlasting?

if 'the book of abraham' was legit, why do egyptologists and other scholars say the grammar used proves it to be pure fantasy?

why does the mormon church use the king james version instead of joseph smith's revised version?

why did smith never finish translating the kinderhook plates?

if smith was such a prophet, how come next to none of his prophecies went fullfilled, even though he gave names and dates for them, many of which have since died or the prophecies not meeting their deadline?

why did a man of god die in a gun battle while in jail for ordering the destruction of a newspaper that was about to expose him?

be blind and 'follow the brethren' all you like....

Poink, Chill a little dude. Religion is what? Beliefs and that is what is in their heart. It is not up to you or I to question and judge other's religion. I know some people in my life that embrace their religions whole-heartedly and have COMPLETE faith. I know others that are Atheists. Are they wrong? I dont know.

So, in the Mormon religion you have beliefs and in the Christian religion you have one set of beliefs as Judaism has theirs. Who is wrong and who is right? This is why Politics and religion... I dont discuss either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#44]
You know, when I find myself laughing at some of the outlandish beliefs of the Mormons, I stop and think:  what about the outlandish beliefs of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hindi, etc...?
Frankly, I think all religions are based on some pretty silly premises, and the only reason we think Mormonism sillier than the rest is that it's newer.
And, I may add, I have YET to meet a Mormon practicioner that wasn't incredibly nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
ok, so if someone today said they found the word of God in some creek somewhere in the midwest and that an angel told them it was sent from God, how many of you would be like, 'sign me up, brother! who do i make my check out too?'

lucky for this joseph smith this happened in the 1800's when people were far more ignorant than they are today.

you really think this religion would be around today if it started 5 years ago buy some long-haired, camaro driving, hippy?

isn't that what David Koresh tried?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The Father has promised us that through our faithfulness we shall be blessed with the fullness of his kingdom.  In other words we will have the privilege of becoming like him. To become like him we must have all the powers of godhood; thus a man and his wife when glorified will have spirit children who eventually will go on an earth like this one we are on and pass through the same kind of experiences, being subject to mortal conditions, and if faithful, then they also will receive the fullness of exaltation and partake of the same blessings.  There is no end to this development; it will go on forever.  We will become gods and have jurisdiction over worlds, and these worlds will be peopled by our own offspring.  We will have an endless eternity for this.

-Joseph  Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p.48.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Man is as God once was? Is the idea expressed there that God was once a man like us and as fallible as us?

And is Jesus literally considered to be a brother to Satan, even though the Bible says that Jesus is the ONLY begotten of The Father?

I am no expert in mormonism and didn't know much past the claims of a new revelation by JS. But is this really the stuff that is preached?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Every Mormon I have ever met has always been a very nice person. Their children are always polite and well behaved. I have no problems with them. Some people should take lessons.

I know next to nothing about their religion and don't care to. The temple in SLC is beautiful.

Edit to add---- They seem to have a lot of hot womenz.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top