Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 4:09:18 PM EDT
Ok so guys don't laugh...I shared my wifes receipe for Butter tarts here before.  I do not want to turn this in to a cooking forum however.

I ordered some Jumalaya ( or however you spell it) at a local restaurant yesterday. I had never tried it before and I LOVED IT.. I had chicken and shrimp rice etc.  I just have to find out how to make it.

My wife suggested to try here.  Afterall there seems to be a goodly number of southern types and I think that is where it comes from.....

Thanks for letting me prove that AR guys know more than just guns!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's "jambalaya."  Isn't it related to "gumbo?"  I don't know how to make it but I sure know how to eat it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a receipe, but I do make Jambalaya from a mix. Zatarains mix is the best I've found. Any smoked sausage will do for the meat, or you can improvise with chicken or shellfish.
Hot sauce to taste.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll try it off the top of my head:

Ingredients:

12 Beers

1/2 lb smoked sausage like Hillshire Farms, sliced into rounds.

1/2 lb country ham chopped.

2T Cajun seasoning

2-3 bay leaves, fresh if possible.

1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes.

1 cup each of chopped celery, onions, green bell pepper.

2 or more chopped garlic cloves

2 chopped tomatoes

1ea. 8-oz can of tomato sauce

1 cup of white rice

1-1/2 cups of chicken stock.

Start drinking beers and continue throughout the process.  Save a few for dinner.

Heat some oil in a 12+" skillet that can be covered.  Cook ham and sausage until it is browned. Add 1/2 of the vegatabales and the bay leaves.  Cook a few minurtes.  Add 1/2 of the seasoning mix and the chicken.  Cook until the chicken is browned.  Add the rest of the seasoning mix and the tomato sauce and the rest of the vegatables. Cook a few minutes.  Stir in the rice.  Add the stock.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.  Serve with Creole Sauce.

You can use shrimp with or instead of the chicken.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Paul Prudome(sp?), the big, fat Cajun cook has a fantastic cook book that has all the recipes you want.
Get it.
I mean it.
No, really.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, but it is against the law, (local, regional and natural, yes natural, not national) to divulge recipes for jambalaya, gumbo or shrimp creole outside of the Gulf Coast states.  
Jambalaya mixes shrimp (or pieces of flaky white fish in a jam), sausage and rice along with spices and seasonings.  
However, I will tell you that you can search the web for Emerile Lagaze; Paul Perdome; cajun or Louisianna recipes and you should find them all.  Enjoy.
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys I won the debate with my wife you guys really do know it all!!

Looking forward to some real good food soon!

Cheers
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get the Zatarains jambalaya in a box. Most markets(respectable ones) carry it in their rice section. A good tip is to boil the sausage and use the sausage-water to cook the rice. Mmmmmmmm...

I should know. I'm half Coon-Ass.

Hey IL2S. Where in LA did u live. I grew up in the outskirts of Nawlins' too. Mandeville.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey la ba! Seeing as how I am a [i]bona fide[/i]
Cajun from the Great State of Louisiana, I will tell you a little something about our dish called Jambalaya.

First, the name is, of course, from the Cajun French phrase - 'Jambon a la ya' which simply translates as 'ham with rice.' So, right off, you can see what the traditional ingredients ought to be.

Louisiana, bless my soul, has waived all health
regulations when it comes to making any of the
traditional Cajun dishes.  You can, however, absolutely count on traditional Cajun honor to make certain that the dishes are prepared with the utmost care. You are, after all, a guest.

Ordinarily, dishes to be served to the public MUST be made in an area that is covered by a roof.  Not so when traditional dishes are being
prepared.  Out in the open, under a bald cypress
tree, is the usual site for such an undertaking.

Using a pirogue paddle (a must) to stir this savory dish, it is an all day affair. In the old days, Cajun families would all bring something for the pot, meaning that chicken and sausage, as well as other items, soon made their way into the dish.  Chicken and sausage jambalaya is one of my favorites.

The Louisiana Jambalaya Festival is held in Gonzales, Louisiana, just down the River Road from Baton Rouge, and talk about good! All sorts of variations of the traditional dish!

And you really don't want my personal recipe for this dish, 'cause I'd have to kill you after
I gave it to you.  We Cajuns have a very funny, if not deadly, sense of honor.[:D]

Eric The(FaisDoDo)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
All jambalaya recipies are very personal. The ones posted here will serve as starters. You will develop your own. Forget the Zatarains in the box - yeccchhh!

Two tips from the 'wreck - who learned to cook in N'awlins - yeah you right!

1. Do not stir after the rice is added. In fact, it is best to finish it in the oven, or in my case, the smoker.

2. Always add some red wine to the stock for color and taste.

3. Don't forget the trinity: chopped onion, bell peppers, and celery. My ratio is 3:2:1.

4. You must throw in a bay leaf or two!

5. Always start with some fatty pork butt along with the other meats, cubed and browned slowly in olive oil until it is red and crusty, and the bottom of the CAST IRON pot has a nice red crusty glaze. Sautee off the veggies in the fat, and then add the stock and wine to deglaze, and stir and scrape that crust off the bottom - it is where the real flavor comes from. Now add the rice, bay leaf, and seasonings, cover tightly with foil, and finish in the oven WITHOUT STIRRING! Yum!

[:D] dat's it! [BD] [beer]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Jambalaya is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to cajun cooking.  I had the good fortune to live in a little town outside of Lafayette, LA for a couple of years.  The food is incredible!  Zatarains is a good box mix for jambalaya.  Regardless, if the mix comes out of LA, it will be pretty good.
If you want to have boudin, tasso, andouille sausage, etc shipped to you, check out:

http://www.hackettscajunkitchen.com/

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh yea!! we are cooking now..

One question??  

Ilove2shoot...what the heck is tasso???

Remember I am Canadian...think of me as a Yankie on roids!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Come on guys knock it off....you are making my mouth water. As a north louisiana red-neck that was raised on cajun cooking, this really hurts.
I was the only person in my town who knew what a pirogue was, and I am expert at poleing one.
Paddle??? real men stand up in the boat.
Thanks for all the memories, I have to go home and see my moma now....gumbo please????
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Hound,  I live in Ruston.  What part of North Louisiana are you from?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Hello Gus, I grew up in Winnsboro, swimming in the turkey creek swamp. Went to school in Monroe
NLU---yeah I know they changed the name. And also went to school and lived in Shreveport.
Southern University---yep a white boy at an all black school. I spent a week in Ruston one night. I had a lot of friends that went to Tech.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Next time my parents come out, I might get them to bring  bunch of crawfish...maybe we can do a AR15.com crawfish boil shoot out.hehehe
View Quote

I love shrimp,want to try crawfish,  how is the taste different between the 2?

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#18]
nobody else will answer and I have been trying for the last 20 minutes to answer your question.....different each time, depends on who prepares it.....but it is always excellent.

ediitrd cus i kant spel
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...The drunker the cook is by the time it is done, the better it will be.
View Quote

That has always been my motto!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Zatarains=crap!

Any self respecting Cajun wouldn't let that stuff in the house! The only good Zatarains is the crab and shrimp boil. I was born and raised in Louisiana, south of I10 and all that. My family has been there since the Acadian expulsion from what is now called Nova Scotia. If you want a good jambalaya reciepe I will email you mine. Some of those on here look pretty good too. Tony Chachere makes a OK mix but it is like the 'hamburger helper' of Cajun foods. I am working on a small cookbook so if I get it done I will send you a copy.

Bon chance, mon frere.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Stormbringer
View Quote

Or Yankie with 'roids?
If so don't eat Jambalaya ,burns going in and coming out if you aren't used to the hot stuff
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Stormbringer
View Quote

Or Yankie with 'roids?
If so don't eat Jambalaya ,burns going in and coming out if you aren't used to the hot stuff
View Quote

Roids short for STEROIDS!!!  

But now that you mention it...the other is suitable when talking about hot foods!!

I will be fine...my chiken wings will soon be declared a dangerous weapon up here in Canada!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top